PDA

View Full Version : Rejecting a Car

Scottie
29th May 2007, 08:01 PM
I was having to get a few bits and bobs sorted today with the Lawyer in Dunblane.:D :D

Anyway known them for years so I thought I would just ask the question about rejecting cars as we have had many post about it in other threads.

This is what I got told.

there was a 'no fix' clause but only applied up until 1994

however
you do not have to accept an attempt at fixing a problem

the nature of the problem is a factor in whether or not you can reasonably reject a car because of it; no rejects for faulty wiper blades

If you tell the dealer you intend to reject the car and then keep using it, you have in effect accepted it
which if it goes legal can cause a problem.

as the buyer your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer directly. You need to pursue re-course with the dealer should things get legal. Obviously the manufacturer may choose to do somethings as a demonstration of good will, but they aren't required to by law.

Keep a log of all letter, calls (including a transcript) and visits.
Never threaten manufacturer or the dealer with “Watchdog” etc, it only has a negative effect.
Never lose your temper in any conversation/letter.
Complain via letter not phone calls, and keep them brief and to the point (you can include your log for additional detail)
Sending letters to directors works, but make sure you send them to all the directors you can find, some will have letters trapped and routed to Customer Services, but others won’t. Director letters should not be specific about your case but ask difficult questions which require a written response. Example Do you feel an engine replacement after 1800miles is representative of the manufacturer brand quality? Also try to focus the letter to the director, i.e. the marketing director should be asked about marketing issues around manufacturer quality. Directors talk to each other, and this will be your route to the Customer Services Director.

and finally I was told

The consumer editor of WHAT CAR is really good!!

Just for info really as I say I thought I'd ask people that know about these kinda things. It may be helpful to others at some point thought it cleared up this "three attempts at fixing the problem" and about continuing to drive the car.

AndyP & Lenore
29th May 2007, 08:25 PM
The rejection process can be very difficult and drawn out. Luckily most dealers/manufacturers when faced with a clear case of unsatisfactory goods, do eventually accept a car needs to be accepted back as a reject. They will almost always prefer to replace rather than refund.

Fi's advice is sound - should be, it came from a lawyer.

Speaking as someone who has gone down a rejection route - which involved trading standards, a fairly sympathetic dealer and a manufacturer who took 6 months to accept rejection was required - I wouldn't recommend it for the faint hearted. Sometimes it simply has to be done. But it ain't smooth and it ain't quick.

A.;)

illegalhunter
29th May 2007, 08:37 PM
Thanks Fi Just Email What Car .