PDA

View Full Version : ipod

macblob
5th February 2004, 04:37 AM
For all you ipod users out there, mac or windows this site is very good for info regarding all things ipod, including car installs etc.
I got an audio connector for my stereo system in the house at the weekend from richer sounds. Line out from the dock to the aux in on the amp, sounds great , no more cds for me hehehehehe.

Car install is next on the list but considering trading in in the summer perhaps if i can get a good deal so might wait till I know what im going to do with the car

http://www.ipodlounge.com/

GAJ
5th February 2004, 05:08 AM
I posted a pic on their 'iPods around the world page' a couple of years ago! Search for 'Santorini' and it's a pic of Cheryl's arm holding the iPod infront of a blue domed church!

All these youngsters jumping on the iPod bandwagon!;):clown:

Gismo
5th February 2004, 05:50 AM
Ahem, my creative zen is currently for sale and i will be investing in the 40 gig iPod :)

GAJ
5th February 2004, 07:14 AM
Go Apple! Go Apple!

Willie M
5th February 2004, 04:16 PM
Grrr. Yep, even I gave into the charms of that seductress called I-pod.. Windaes version mind you ;)

Gismo
6th February 2004, 10:58 AM
Ok, so where is the cheapest place to get the windoze :I version of the 40gig iPod :question:
I'm looking on eBay at the moment and can get a USA one (no volume restriction) for around £240 + postage (hope no possible customs tax :eek:) which is around £270 :)
I want one cheaper than that :evil: anyone going to the USA in the very near future ;)

Ok, one more question, if i got a USA machine, can i use a multi adaptor for charging it's internal battery or do i have to buy the Apple branded one?? My PC offshore don't have a firewire connection :( or can it be charged via the USB port :question:
If i can charge it with a multi adaptor what is the voltage DC :question:

Sits patiently drumming fingers on office desk whilst waiting for Gaj and Macblob to wake up and get into work :p:evil:

Bonnie Scotland

3GGG
6th February 2004, 05:16 PM
The USA charger is universal 110/220v AC, so you could use that. Charge via USB2 is very slow rate I heard, but haven't tried that. Never used my charger at all as I have FireWire.

Gismo
6th February 2004, 05:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
The USA charger is universal 110/220v AC, so you could use that. Cheers Dave, i did know that, i was trying to cut down on the amount of stuff i had to carry, i'll need an adaptor to go from the USA to a 3 pin to make it work then :)

GAJ
6th February 2004, 05:50 PM
I could be wrong but I think the volume restriction thing is universal now. I think it is software controlled and not hardware and was done to comply with French legislation.
I know that Apple only release universal software updates now, not seperate Euro. and US versions and I remember 18 months or so back when this was introduced that some folk stuck with , I think version 1.1, so that the volume level wasn't more limited. Don't believe everything that US exporters tell you!
I think you are very unlikely to get a new 40GB iPod for under £270. I know that dealer margins are pretty small on Apple hardware so the wholesale price will not be much under this.

Good luck though!

Monsta Mo Mini
6th February 2004, 06:21 PM
Alan - Order from the Apple website. That's the cheapest there is at the moment - a lot of the cheap ebay prices are scams so take care. $499 which is £270 is a very good deal given that you'll pay £250 for the 10gb version here. Dunno what the tax'll be but you should still be looking at less than £300! If you know wanyone who is heading to Hong Kong in the near future then you can get a real bargin there. I know a guy who got a 40gb Windaes ipod for £200 from a wee side street shop!

GAJ
6th February 2004, 07:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

...given that you'll pay £250 for the 10gb version here.

15GB now - there is no more 10GB version available, which makes mine a collectors item! £200 to the first bidder! Roll up! Roll up!

3GGG
6th February 2004, 08:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by 3GGG
The USA charger is universal 110/220v AC, so you could use that. Cheers Dave, i did know that, i was trying to cut down on the amount of stuff i had to carry, i'll need an adaptor to go from the USA to a 3 pin to make it work then :)

Ah OK Alan, that makes sense, in the UK version you get the adaptor included of course, a rather neat arrangement it is too that slots onto the wee charger. The output connector from the charger is firewire socket BTW. DC output 12V 1.0A according to the label.

euan
6th February 2004, 09:24 PM
The cheapest I've seen is in UK shops is in Dixons at the airport (Edinburgh and Heathrow) - you can get the tax free stuff on any UK flight as well. I think they were doing a 40GB for 339, the 20GB was 225.

macblob
7th February 2004, 03:22 AM
U canny charge an ipod with usb 2, u need firewire to charge via the puter but the mains charger that comes with the ipod is faster :D

Gismo
7th February 2004, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all your help peeps, providing i havn't been ripped off :eek: on eBay and don't have to pay the customs tax :mad: i have got myself a 40gig iPod for £256, i am of course quite sceptical but time will tell :)

GAJ
27th March 2004, 08:30 PM
We are now a 3 iPod family! I changed my mind and decided to buy a 40GB (US model, shipped from Newcastle £300 inc postage after a wee haggle. Still shrink wrapped. Well chuffed!) And Cheryl's iPod mini came this morning! Had to pay £210 for that though cos they are rarer than hen's teeth at the moment and the European release has been delayed till July! It is absolutely superb though. Cool as ...

Gismo
28th March 2004, 02:41 AM
I could have got you one for £275, missed a bargain ;)

GAJ
28th March 2004, 04:35 AM
I might take you up on that. My dad can't decide whether to buy an iPod mini or a proper one! Is it brand new, totally unused and sealed?

Gismo
28th March 2004, 07:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
I might take you up on that. My dad can't decide whether to buy an iPod mini or a proper one! Is it brand new, totally unused and sealed?Sorry Gaj, i already sold it :blackeye: but, i bought 2 off eBay, both from the same person, they have another iPod (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41002&item=3087985456) for sale, they charge 39.75 USD for postage and expect to pay about £28 customs. They put a low price on the box, seemingly they were hit by customs their end for wrongly stating gift on their many transactions.
What you get is brand new stuff but no original box, they wrappers may be open as well, but, my one and the one i sold were perfect :) It's a one day sale so you need to be quick
Don't worry about charging it, i use a shaver to 3 pin convertor with no problems :)

Wul
1st April 2004, 10:29 PM
Anyone happen to know how much ipods are at the tax free bit in uk airports? might think about one when i go my hols in august. :)

MartinSullivan
1st April 2004, 11:45 PM
Dunno if this helps any of you ipod wannabes. Apple has a refurb store online. Its only open on a Wednesday morning from 10:00 to 12:00. They occasionally have really good deals on refurbed stock. Yesterday there was a £399 30Gb Ipod for 45% off = £219 quid. Not a bad deal and comes with full Apple warrenty. The link is http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/uk/

GAJ
1st April 2004, 11:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Anyone happen to know how much ipods are at the tax free bit in uk airports? might think about one when i go my hols in august. :)

£335 for the 40GB in Dixons Tax free. That was what I was going to do but I couldn't wait!

Wul
22nd April 2004, 07:10 PM
See another new gadget is out for all you ipoders looking to use it in the car without dismantling the dash!

http://kryton.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop/mannelectronics?listPos=&search=&productID=60&op=catalogue-product_info&prodCategoryID=

:)

GAJ
22nd April 2004, 07:20 PM
Thats been out for a wee while now. Just does the same thing as the iTrip and a charger but takes up loads more space!

Steve74
23rd April 2004, 02:04 AM
Quick question - how would you get the i-pod to work with the Mini's multi-function steering wheel?