PDA

View Full Version : New car on it's way (non mini related)

euan
25th May 2007, 07:26 PM
Well, flogged my 318ci today for...another 3 series. Bought a 320ci M Sport, monaco blue with grey leather (and pretty everything else is grey, going to be a nightmare to keep clean!). Bit slow off the mark but really torquey when it's moving, the six cylinder is really smooth and surprisingly quick. It's an E46, but I don't like the new ones very much and, to be honest, they look dull but this is aggresive and lurvely! As I do so many miles I couldn't justify the fuel bill on a bigger six cylinder (much as I'd like to...) but I'm more than happy with it.

Has a few toys, xenons, bluetooth, and all the usuals (cruise etc). Just need to work out whether to fit a CD autochanger or an Ipod link to it - anyone got any ideas?

Get it next week sometime, will post pics when I get it.

Scottie
25th May 2007, 08:29 PM
ipod or do both think you can get a wee switch thingy.

miniminx
28th May 2007, 07:07 AM
The best way I found of connecting your ipod is to purchase an Intravee II unit & an alpine KCA420i. This is all plug & play into the BMW Loom in the boot as it replaces the cd changer unit.

http://www.intravee.co.uk/

I have my ipod installed using the above items with the 16:9 widescreen headunit & sat nav.

The intravee unit is approx £105 & the alpine unit approx £35.00 from halfords. However, halfords may have stopped selling this item now but it may be worth checking some halfords stores to see if they have any left in stock lying about.

Mike:)

Scottie
28th May 2007, 08:35 AM
Tom @ EAS will be able to help you out he ships to the uk.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/

I know a few of the X5 boys have used him.

euan
28th May 2007, 05:55 PM
That's very interesting - how do you search on the ipod using that Mike? Bear in mind my car doesn't have nav in it?

Where did you get the intravee from in the UK?

euan
28th May 2007, 06:07 PM
Actually, I apologise for my ignorance...

If I buy an Alpine 6 disc such as this one, I just need to plug it into the existing loom and off I go?
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-cha-s634_p-19220.htm

Then, if I get an Alpine Adapter for M-Bus, what does that give me? Track name support for the MP3 titles and thats it?

From what I can see, the intravee will then act as the interface into the Alpine adapter and you can browse the tracks on the head unit, or use an autochanger? How does it charge? How do you browse your ipod for tracks and do things like shuffle?

Also, would it be possible to do the boot install, and then mount the ipod in the armrest in the car for ease? (I know, it's a great excuse to buy a new ipod and leave it in the boot, but I'd get shot for that by the missus)

euan
4th June 2007, 08:43 AM
OK, mulled this over the weekend and still annoyed by it.

Went to collect the new car on Friday. Signed all the paperwork, all done. Dealer goes to refund me some money and comes back and says all is not well - the money from the finance company hasn't hit their account.

Now, I've always financed my cars via a friend in Aberdeen. He had done all the paperwork, and instructed the finance company to pay the dealer as quickly as possibly, via overnight payment. The finance company then paid it via BACS, which is a 3 working day thing. It was sent on Wednesday, meaning it will hit the dealer today at some point. Which meant I couldn't take the car.

Now, I think this is very poor. The dealer is very apologetic and has tried hard to make me sweet again (the use of a new 335i for the weekend, freebies in the boot of my new car) but I'm still not happy. Just leaves a slightly sour note if you know what I mean?

The dealer is 7 miles away, but it takes an hour to get there (London traffic for you) so I spent 2 and half hours on Friday for nothing. I think it's that bit that winds me up more than anything else.

euan
4th June 2007, 10:16 PM
Well, finally got it:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1220/530002628_df4de47d4c.jpg?v=0

Love the noise of the six :-)

Have got an Intravee as well, seems to work well so far, although I suspect I'll add an MP3 CD changer to use in case I forget the ipod for whatever reason.

AndyP & Lenore
4th June 2007, 10:36 PM
Nice car euan. ;)

What happened at the dealer makes no sense. He couldn't let you take a used car away because the money hadn't hit the bank, but he can let you take a brand new 335i away for the weekend. To be honest, if it didn't hit the bank, it didn't hit the bank. It's not the dealer's fault. BACS is a 3 day system and it doesn't include the day of sending so Monday would have been my guess for it to hit the account. But for about a tenner - they could have sent it by CHAPS - Clearing House Automated Payment System. Send by about 3pm and it's a same day clearance system.

I know, I know.... I'd be a great one to have around "after" an emergency.:( :D ;)

A.:D

euan
4th June 2007, 10:45 PM
Some more details have come my way...

The dealer had agreed to hand the car over on the basis of the confirmation the money had been sent, not receipt. Turns out that he was then overuled by the accountants, who demanded the money be in the account. At the end of the day, I've got some freebies out of it as an apology, but I'll be more wary of what dealers say in the future, as it wasn't his fault and I hold no grudge to him.

When he said it hadn't hit the account, I knew I wasn't going to get the car, although he admitted today that's not what he had originally said. I'm realistic enough to know these things happen, but it's annoying all the same.

Still, with light coloured carpet a spare set of mats (one of the freebies) will be very handy!

Oh, and it is a lovely car - I keep starting it up just to hear the six :-) Winding the neighbours up now!!

Gismo
5th June 2007, 07:48 AM
Excellent motor Euan :) i had the 330Ci and it was gorgio in black too :cool:

euan
5th June 2007, 09:20 AM
Excellent motor Euan :) i had the 330Ci and it was gorgio in black too :cool:

Cheers! It's actually not black - it's a very dark blue but looks black in some light and purple in others. Bit different anyway, although it's another blue car - that means I've gone blue, green, blue, blue, silver, blue!!

Drove 150 miles in it this morning, and it was just brilliant. Quiet when you want it to be, yet all snarly when you nail it!

Gismo
5th June 2007, 05:56 PM
Cheers! It's actually not black - it's a very dark blue but looks black in some light and purple in othersOh oh, it's carbon black, not so keen on that :rolleyes: still a nice mowta though :cool:

euan
6th June 2007, 01:00 PM
Oh oh, it's carbon black, not so keen on that :rolleyes: still a nice mowta though :cool:

It's actually Monaco blue, which you don't see that many in.

Anyone with a BMW and is a bit IT literate should seriously look at the Intravee for ipod integartion - it's SOO good and only works in BMWs. Got mine working last night and really pleased with it. Dead easy to fit as well.

miniminx
6th June 2007, 06:20 PM
It's actually Monaco blue, which you don't see that many in.

Anyone with a BMW and is a bit IT literate should seriously look at the Intravee for ipod integartion - it's SOO good and only works in BMWs. Got mine working last night and really pleased with it. Dead easy to fit as well.

I take it you got your hands on an Apline unit to connect it all up?

What firmware version is loaded onto your Intravee? I would like to update mine but my laptop does not come with a serial port.

Mike:)

euan
6th June 2007, 07:46 PM
Yes, I was a bit fortunate as someone was selling a 256 Intravee and KCA 420 the day I looked at the website!

Not sure on the firmware version, it's something I need to sort as I bought a serial - USB converter cable but gave up trying to get it working on Monday night so need to try it again. I'm going to go up to V5 for the better search functions as it's a bit of a nightmare at the moment.

The serial - USB cable should be all you need, but I'd get a decent one - mine's a bit short as I've drilled a hole in the CD changer cubby and run it through there so I can get at it without ripping up all the carpet and do upgrades etc.