PDA

View Full Version : Key not working...help!

pamelab21
25th May 2007, 11:05 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had this issue.
Cooper S is just out of warranty by 3 weeks :mad: and when trying to open the car using the central locking key it is not opening as quickly as it should, in fact sometimes it is taking a good minute of pressing to get the car open(with me pressed up against the car as close as possible so its not a distance thing) , same with locking it. Have had to resort to using the key in the door to lock it if I'm in a rush at times which leaves it unalarmed.
We have bought new batteries and tried using the spare key and its still the same which makes me think its not the key but the car?
Any ideas:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sweeney
25th May 2007, 11:08 AM
Not having much luck with the car are you lol, I know there used to electrical gremlins with central locking, windows etc. Its def the car if both sets are doing it though

pamelab21
25th May 2007, 11:12 AM
nope :D
still like the car though.
Clutch seems all ok now but typical for this to go out of BMW warranty....however Sheilds did give me a 6 mnth extended warranty so wondering if I should speak to them or will they try and say its a 'wear and tear' issue.

Sweeney
25th May 2007, 11:23 AM
Theres no way that it could be wear and tear, its an electrical problem of some kind id say, either that or the mechanisms are failing.

Id go to them and claim warranty, they shouldnt charge as its nothing you've done or not done to cause it, its just happened and shouldnt have.

Gismo
25th May 2007, 12:02 PM
Go back to your supplier immediately, don't wait, the sooner you go back the less likely they are to go back on their warranty, whatever you say, don't say it's been like that for weeks :rolleyes:

G19RNT
26th May 2007, 08:13 PM
sometimes have that problem on my 2006 cooper where it won,t open til your right at it doesn,t happen all the time tho

Gorbash12346
27th May 2007, 01:05 PM
hold the key about where the other side of the interior rear view mirror is... it could be batteries going flat or the reciever is goosed (which is in the mirror on the convertible and behind it on the hardtop

pamelab21
29th May 2007, 01:21 PM
well after hubby spoke to Mini warranty guy they agreed to look at the car FOC so we took the car on Fri and got it back Sat, they fitted a new receiver FOC.
Was working at the garage. Was working when I stopped at the cash machine. Stopped working when I got to the house :mad:
We called them back and they said to bring the car back today, so dropped it off this morning but it had started to work again so who knows.
I bet it will work fine when they test it, I'll get it home and it won't work again.....arrghhhhhhh!!!!!