PDA

View Full Version : Another new S

smason1111
15th May 2007, 02:09 PM
Well, new as in I've had it since January 31st.

Here is is : http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c357/smason5/DSC01386.jpg

There aren't many sparkling silvers around up here so if you see one commuting between Edinburgh and Broxburn, give us a wave.

As for the car, generally I'm loving it. The rattles have nearly ruined it for me but I think I'm getting used to them.

Stuart

Sweeney
15th May 2007, 02:14 PM
Welcome! :D

Getting used to them... :confused: get it straight into the dealers and don't accept no for an answer. It shouldn't rattle at all!

AndyP & Lenore
15th May 2007, 02:21 PM
Welcome Stuart. Not a massive fan of Sparkling Silver, but the black roof and bonnet stripes makes it work best I've seen so far.

Like Sweeney says.... get yerself down to your local dealer and get those rattles seen to.;)

A.:D

smason1111
15th May 2007, 02:42 PM
Well, the car's actually been back at Dunedin (Seafield Road Edinburgh) twice for a total or 3 days so far.
Half the trouble with rattles is identifying where they are coming from.
There's a really bad one when I go over cobbles that seems to be coming from the drivers side A pillar or under the dash in that area. It's had the whole dash out (it took 2 days) and hasn't really improved.
The rest of the rattles are annoying plasticy things from either the dash or the sunroof.
It's weird, some days it's not so bad and on others it's just awful.

After being without the car for 2 days the last time it was in I've been put off putting it back in again.

It's great fun otherwise.

Stuart

Sweeney
15th May 2007, 02:46 PM
Yeah i know the feeling, most minis have got these annoying rattles (ive worked out its to do with the heat etc, certain things being dif temps, expanding and retracting etc) others the plastic just isnt secure enough and rattles non stop... If you get bothered that much get it in to them again or at least if it gets worse! :)

smason1111
15th May 2007, 02:58 PM
..I kerbed a wheel :eek: on Friday which has taken my attention away from the rattles somewhat.

I'm surprised noone heard me screaming "AAARGH!!".

Stuart

Sweeney
15th May 2007, 02:59 PM
ah well, i smashed mine head on into a barrier, beat that :p kerbed a wheel couple weeks before though, was really gutted lol!

smason1111
15th May 2007, 03:08 PM
You've made me feel better now.
Bad news though. As long as you and any occupants are ok, that's the main thing...so they say.

Stuart

Sweeney
15th May 2007, 03:13 PM
aye, makes you care a lot less about wee swirls and chips etc lol :D
aye what they say is very true, metal is just metal at the end of the day :)

but still, get yours back into them! :p

smason1111
15th May 2007, 03:18 PM
Actually, in a way I was relieved to ding the wheel. I knew it would happen one day and now that it's over and done with I'm not worrying so much about little marks etc.
I will however get it back into Dunedin.

Stuart

Sweeney
15th May 2007, 03:31 PM
ah well, 3 more to go ;)

smason1111
15th May 2007, 03:46 PM
...I also lightly scratched the roof wiping bird poo off....

Sweeney
15th May 2007, 03:50 PM
ah well, $hit happens... LOL! :o

Colin
15th May 2007, 09:49 PM
Hi Welcome to the site.:)

illegalhunter
15th May 2007, 10:01 PM
Nice S welcome to the site ,get it back to thde stealers with the rattles.

Crombers
16th May 2007, 12:04 AM
Welcome to NMSland :cool:

Duncan Stewart
17th May 2007, 08:17 PM
:D Hi and Welcome :)

sedgie
20th May 2007, 12:56 PM
Hiya n Welcome:D

X30YES
9th June 2007, 08:48 AM
welcome welcome welcome

smason1111
11th June 2007, 11:48 AM
My car's been getting me down lately. What with rattles galore and the dreaded noise from the clutch when down shifting. Oh, and a wheel arch trim was loose and the rubber gutter at the top of the rear window was falling off.
I was fed up with it.
So in it went to the dealer last Wednesday. As expected they kept it until the end of the day on Thursday. When I picked it up on Thursday, the rubber seal on the window had been taken off completely but not replaced. The mechanic told me to pop in on Saturday and he'd fix it there and then. What was more, the bad rattles were still there, at least they were for a while.

On Saturday morning, I went down to the dealer and had the window sorted. As I waited I cornered the bloke who sold me the car and I told him I wanted out of the mini experience. Of course, no favours were forthcoming and I was told unless I wanted to loose a wad of cash, I'd be best to keep the car for at least a year.
He did however, tell me one thing. He understood how unhappy I was with the car and knew that I was just using it for the commute, avoiding driving it at other times as I was hating it so much. He asked me to go take it for a good long drive somewhere and just try to have a little fun in it.
Well, on Saturday afternoon I took the back roads to Peebles. I actually let the other half drive as I didn't think I'd be able to deal with it, I was so hacked off. However, the car was relatively rattle free and I even enjoyed the journey. After a walk along the river I drove home and had a great time. For once, it seemed almost 100% rattle free (must have been the heat). All of a sudden I stopped hating the wee thing.

The clutch has been adjusted and if the noises come back they've said the clutch and fly wheel will have to be replaced.
The other half was horrified at the torque steer which, I have to say, I have got used to.

Dare I say it but I think I might be warming to the mini experience again.
It's not perfect but it's going in the right direction.

Fingers crossed....

Stuart

rpn
11th June 2007, 03:17 PM
First, hello and welcome to NMS and

Second, oh no not another R56 having problem but glad you're enjoying it at long last and hope the enjoyment last for a long time yet.