PDA

View Full Version : Indi Blue/Black and Wee Scratches etc........

ELFMAN
14th May 2007, 09:58 AM
I TRY to keep the car pretty clean - using Meguiars or Auto Glym shampoo, loads of water and a 'clean and a 'dirty' (!) bucket. Periodically (every six months or so) polish with Meguiars 'Gold Class'. Wipe with 'Quick Detailer' every so often too. Problem is I'm getting quite a few 'micro-scratches' appearing on the bodywork/roof - and I'm using clean polishing cloths etc. Car's three and a bit years old now and I know Indi Blue isn't the best for this sort of thing.

It's not really bad ('normal people' wouldn't notice....) - just bugging me! Is there a product (other than T-Cut, which can be a bit vicious...) which I can use to get rid of these annoying surface scratches before polishing?

Also at certain angles in the sun, I always notice a few faint 'waxy smears' on the body (from Quick Detailer or previous polishing... or both....) no matter how 'careful' I've been. It looks fine from other angles, just when the sun catches it in a certain way. Any tips?

Sweeney
14th May 2007, 10:08 AM
For the haze i think you'd need to use a cutting compound such as t-cut to bring up a fresh layer of clear coat but since you don't want to use that you could try the meguiars 3 (or 5 im not sure how many step) paint renovation kit/process... For the scratches buy some meguiars scratch X, give it at least 2 goes (works like a wax, apply with some pressure , let it dry then buff) if it was me id say 3 or 4 would be enough if only light swirls. Make sure to wax over once you have used scratch x though.

Might be worth claying it after you wash before starting on the above, give it a nice smooth and as clean as possible surface :)

Wul
14th May 2007, 11:03 AM
Hey Elfman - sweeney has the right ideas for you.

Can I ask if you are using a sponge or a wash mitt? Wash mitts inflict less swirls than a sponge even when using 2 buckets.

Claying the car every 6 months helps remove oxidised and surface contaminents, follow up with either Megs Stage 1 Paint Cleaner, Megs Clear coat Body scrub or Sonus Paint Cleanser - tackle any remaining scratches with scratch X and then apply the Gold Class wax. :)

Sweeney
14th May 2007, 11:51 AM
:D (feels somewhat smart for a change) im sure it'll be short lived until i come out with some daft comment :rolleyes:

ELFMAN
16th May 2007, 12:50 PM
Wul, I'm using a sponge. I'll try to get my mitts on a Mitt. Not sure about the 'Claying' - I've never seen any in my local shop - but I'll have a hunt for the stuff you've mentioned above.

Ta for the info..... of course if anybody's fed up of a weekend and feels the need to polish a MINI....... only kidding - I'm not THAT lazy!

ELFMAN
16th May 2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks obviously for the quick and accurate advice Sweeney, I realised I hadn't mentioned you specifically! No offence meant!

Sweeney
16th May 2007, 01:11 PM
lol none taken :p
most likely have to order the clay online, its easy to do though :) makes it silky smooth, www.meguiars.co.uk (http://www.meguiars.co.uk)

Big Gordy
16th May 2007, 01:21 PM
Try Halfrauds;) I think they still have the 3 for 2 offer on ALL cleaning products. I got the Meguires Clay bar kit. Think it was about 20 quid. Came with 2 claybars,cloth and quick detail spray:cool:

Wul
17th May 2007, 08:43 AM
2 wee tips for claying - keep the quick detailer for making the car look sooper shiney after a wash and use a double strength solution of car wash in a squirty bottle as clay lube. AND break the clar bar into 3 bits as that's more than enough to use and if you drop it you havn't wasted a whole bar!

Big Gordy
17th May 2007, 08:50 AM
Wul what size are the clay bars normally:confused: The ones in the 'kit' are not very big.....about 75 x 50 x 5mm thick. If I broke it into 3, each bit would be tiny:eek:

Wul
17th May 2007, 10:34 AM
Well - i'm using a Sonus one these days 8) but sounds about the same size as before - remember Gordy - you want to flatten it out reasonbly thin, I end up with a bit about 2-3mm thick and about 50-60mm dia. Use it a few times, flip over to the clean side then re-knead and repeat.