PDA

View Full Version : Tree, yes Tree damage!

Duncan Stewart
4th February 2004, 07:30 PM
Another wonderful trip home from work last night. Some tree branches fallen on the road due to high winds so taking it easy behind a fiat Punto but the stupid c*w in the Punto ran over a branch sending it broken parts showering over my Mini! :mad:
On checking the damage I found a large branch stabbed through the front bumper between the lower unpainted part and upper painted part and at the end of the lower metal grill. :(:dead::blackeye: .inside it has punched a hold in the plastic surround to the radiator - at least I did not hit the radiator!
I what need now is advice on how to repair. The normal fixing for the lower unpainted skirt to the painted bumper is ripped off but I think that if I can get the two of them fixed together again then bend the metal grill back it will be almost unnoticeable.
My problem is fixing the lower unpainted skirt to the painted bumper. Access to the rear is zero so I tried gluing them together from the outside with “no more nails” filler / glue but it did not stick, thought I might try superglue next but I cannot clamp the part together as I cannot get access to behind the bumper. I don’t want to start unassembling the car the try to repair this. Any ideas anyone?

Wul
4th February 2004, 11:26 PM
Sounds nasty Duncan!

A few points to maybe consider - were the two parts to be joined completly clean and dry? As this would obviously affect the bond! No Nails should work on plastic but it does take a good 6 hours to go off completely and does dry white so may be visible. Are the two parts springing apart? if so then you will need to apply a constant pressure to the bottom to keep them pressed together.

I would try cleaning and drying the whole area - apply plenty super glue being careful not to get it on any visible sections then use something like the car jack to wind up some pressure on the two setions and leave overnight to set.

Unless i'm thinking of the completely wrong part of the bumper! :I

Good luck!

macblob
5th February 2004, 03:23 AM
B&Q do an instant bond adhesive that you apply and leave till it goes a milky colour then bond the bits together giving a supposide instant bond, full strength in 24 hrs

GAJ
5th February 2004, 05:04 AM
Mini's and tress dont mix. Just ask Marc Bolan!

KenL
5th February 2004, 06:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Mini's and tress dont mix. Just ask Marc Bolan!

Awfy bad taste that one Gaj :eek:

GAJ
5th February 2004, 07:02 AM
Awfy bad typing too. I meant trees!

Willie M
5th February 2004, 04:25 PM
:eek: Ouch!! Nasty one there Duncan, hope you get everything fixed up good as new soon.

Duncan Stewart
5th February 2004, 06:09 PM
After a wrecked brand new alloy & tyre at Xmas :( and now being attacked by trees :dead: I think I should buy a old Metro to run on the dark winter drives to and from work! :eek:. Don't worry, only kidding, ;) - mind you saw a nice GTi the other day for a few hundred quid ...................... :D