PDA

View Full Version : FTAO Bonnie Scotland

Fontal
4th February 2004, 01:16 AM
Alan

If i'm right in saying you had the black plastic trim painted black on your car:question:

Just a couple of questions if I can:eek:

Have you had any problems with doing it:question:
Is it difficult to do it:question:
And the biggy how much did it set you back:question:

Im thinking of doing this as the trim on my one is fading fast and looks crap its also a pain when polishing it:(

Cherrs for any info

Richard

Wul
4th February 2004, 01:36 AM
Richard - alan must be in the land of nod just now dreaming of arcade games and methods of post maiximisation!

However Sh@z just got his done in this thread http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1161 for £200ish - this was based on removing the trims and painting them.

If I remember right Alans were about £90 but this was done insitu - ie they masked up the trims attached to the car rather than removing them.

Fontal
4th February 2004, 01:49 AM
Cheers Wul looks like I might be better of taking the car in to get a quote.

Cheers
Richard

Gismo
4th February 2004, 04:42 AM
Wul is right, mine were done on the car, that's because the clips were breaking when he started taking off the trim, cause the car was booked in etc he didn't have time to wait for new clips, so i agreed to him doing it.
Given the choice again i would make sure the trims were removed.

I have bits that were not masked off 100 per cent and left a wee gap, only i can spot them immediately and know they are there.

But, for 90 quid i'm not complaining, they were done right, ie smoothed down, correct primer etc.
The guy will do anyone's car but it must be booked in advance, it won't be as expensive as Sh@z's car but it will be about a 3 or 4 week wait.

It does look very smart and it takes the pain out of missing the plastic when waxing, etc

Hope that helps :)

zimbo
4th February 2004, 04:53 AM
Mmmmmmmmm...... :approve: I wonder...

KenL
4th February 2004, 06:09 AM
No help to you Fontal but there was a rumour on MINI2 a while back that this would be a factory option.

Haven't heard it repeated though so maybe not coming up soon.

I agree it is very hard especially at this time of year to keep them looking nice and black.

sh@z
4th February 2004, 07:43 AM
Yeah, but i reckon it will still be a fair whack more then from where i got it done, or even alans (his is a superb price... doubt the guy is makin much on that haha... wouldnt find anywhere like that in edinburgh)

Duncan Stewart
4th February 2004, 07:14 PM
Getting wax on the plastic trims is a pain but "back to black" or similar is wonderful stuff! :approve:

Burple
4th February 2004, 08:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

Getting wax on the plastic trims is a pain but "back to black" or similar is wonderful stuff! :approve:

Apparently one of the best things to use is Peanut oil (and peanut butter (not crunchy ;)) of all things...
If you believe some of the threads on MINI2...
Anyone on here tried it yet??? :D

sh@z
4th February 2004, 10:56 PM
haha you would get some truly funny looks puttin peanut butter on ur arches.. haha

minidriver#1
4th February 2004, 11:12 PM
i prefer to use syrup.

*brownie (excuse the pun) points to who can guess the quote*