PDA

View Full Version : Spot Lamp Fitting

Davidson2
3rd February 2004, 10:37 PM
Way...way back in my younger days, I fitted spot lights to an Astra, screw em in, connect to the Headlamp bulb connector and 'da-ra!' spot lamps!:D

Ordered a Set for Emma from Cool New... The instruction manual resembles the Thompsons Local Directory! Which includes removing the underside of the bonnet, door frame etc!!! Dunedin want 2.5hrs X £75 + VAT to fit... my response... 'Away & eat Gerbils Gibblits!":mad:

So anyone know how to fit them or know of someone that can? I do reward generously...:kiss::kiss::kiss:

GAJ
3rd February 2004, 10:44 PM
Zoooooom!!

Wul
4th February 2004, 12:06 AM
Or go to your local auto electrician and get him to fit them for you - i'm sure they'll be cheaper

Few words of warning though!

1. For a correct install - a switch needs to be installed in the dash next to the headlight level adjuster - this means removing the dash section, cutting a hole in it :eek: and passing a wire through the bulkhead - all very fiddly!

2. If they are OEM ones (I think they are if i read the brochure right) then you will need to get your dealer to activate the setting on the ECU to make them work correctly - and on MINI2 there are lots of people complaining about their dealer charging 30mins labour to do this - £37.50 in your case! :eek: So you may either have to sweet talk them, cough up the cash or get it done the next time it's in for warranty/ service work!

KenL
4th February 2004, 12:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

1. For a correct install - a switch needs to be installed in the dash next to the headlight level adjuster - this means removing the dash section, cutting a hole in it :eek: and passing a wire through the bulkhead - all very fiddly!

Hold on a minute Wul :p

They should operate along with the main beam - i.e. when you pull the indicator stalk. So why do you need an extra switch - Confused smilie required here :)

There should be a FAQ/official instructions on MINI2 when it comes back up.

Wul
4th February 2004, 01:32 AM
The switch is a legal thing apparently Ken - it gives you the option of high beam with or without the spots activated - you can download the pdf file for the fitting instructions from MINI2.

I'm sure KJ can confirm the presence of this switch on his Coop!

However i'm sure some scotch block and wire strippers and you could "piggy back" the spots to the high beams without the need to go near the ECU or dashboard! :eek:

:)

Gismo
4th February 2004, 05:01 AM
I will mention one thing, warranty, the lamps require to be enabled via the ecu, they also draw a fair bit of power and should be routed through a suitable relay.

Wul
4th February 2004, 06:09 AM

However i'm sure some scotch block and wire strippers and you could "piggy back" the spots to the high beams without the need to go near the ECU or dashboard! :eek:

quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland
I will mention one thing, warranty, the lamps require to be enabled via the ecu, they also draw a fair bit of power and should be routed through a suitable relay.

I was only kidding guys!:I

KenL
4th February 2004, 06:24 AM
Hopefully this should provide the fitting instructions:

http://www.bridger.us/mini/howto/Driving_Lights_902.pdf

Julz
4th February 2004, 05:17 PM
Mmmmmmmmm, as the proud owner of a new set of spots, me thinks they might just get attached for aesthetic purposes and no wired up, too much hassle!!!:dead:

Duncan Stewart
4th February 2004, 05:28 PM
I was thinking of fitting spots after finding my mini lights not that great during the dark winter drives to and from work but changed my mind now! good luck Davidson - let us know how you get on

Wul
4th February 2004, 11:30 PM
Has anyone seen the new range of "cruise" lights in halfrauds?

You can get a set of angel eyes - which have a blueish border which lights up all the time and a spot light in the middle for blinding people with! would maybe match BabyB better Julz! ;)

Hey Presto!
http://www.hellausa.com/optilux/newoptilux/ProductImages/model2500.jpg

http://www.hellausa.com/optilux/newoptilux/ProductPages/model2500.html

Julz
4th February 2004, 11:40 PM
Cheers Wul, I had seen them and was quite tempted, but yet again, could I be arsed wiring them? Probably not, I can see the spots going on the car and the cables staying in the box for the mo!;)

weefossy
10th February 2004, 07:11 AM
when we fitted then 4 spots on Marsha, we also had to change the dampers on the bonnet to take the extra weight. This applies especially if you have the electric washers, which weigh extra??!!
It was all too confusing for me, so got dealer to do it.

Davidson2
12th February 2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all your comments:approve: Flamin Nitro Minis:eek: Me only want supper cool Vrrrrrrrroooooooom Vrrrrrroooooooom spot lights for Coopers sake:mad:

Argos sells torches, could tape em to the dash board and use independently I suppose???:clown:

Emma gets a service tomorrow (Emma the Mini, not Emma my secretary...;)) so I'll see what Dunedin say and how many of my hard earned pennies they want and let you know.

Julz, seen baby B has everything of everything of Mini everythings that a Mini could hope for already attached are you sure you only want two spot lamps? What about one on the roof like Paddy Hopkirks Mini? :clown::clown::clown:

Julz
12th February 2004, 05:28 PM
If I had a lamp on the roof I'd get done for poaching cause the polis would think I'd been out lamping rabbits!!!! (seeing as I live in tham there hills an all!!):D:D;)

Davidson2
13th February 2004, 07:11 AM
Ok have the coolest Driving School car in the country:D with spot lights:evil: Why not happy you ask?

Mister very nice reception man said he would get them fitted cheap for me during the service:D

Wait for it....

Thinking that this would be the cheapest method to get me car looking like the cherry on a knickerbockerglory, I accepted....

Wait for it...

£170:dead:

The moral of the story is... maybe thats why other instructors drive Vaux$!! Cor5*s!!!:(

KenL
13th February 2004, 07:39 AM
Never trust them when they say cheap.

Always get the price up front and never let a dealer or any garage ever do any work without a fixed price up front. If you don't they'll ream you for sure :mad:

Wul
13th February 2004, 06:04 PM
That's the cost quoted to me a year ago for fitting - 2.5 hours fitting so you got no discount at all there! Gits!

KenL
13th February 2004, 06:18 PM

That's the cost quoted to me a year ago for fitting - 2.5 hours fitting so you got no discount at all there! Gits!

Almost £70/hour - crikey is it lawyers who work on MINIs these days :mad:

Davidson2
15th February 2004, 08:00 AM
They say 'Mini's you either love em or hate em...' Begining to see why the classic owners are anti BMW...:(

For the same price in total, Shakey could have had two new doors, all rust spots sorted and resprayed.... Gutted? Feel like a Baby B in speed bump city...:disapprove:

Anyway at least the rest of you know what not to do in future... or buy the lights and Ill pop round and let you copy all my fittings:)