PDA

View Full Version : JCW Sound Kit Question

RyanK
26th April 2007, 06:51 PM
Hi folks,

I was just wondering if the JCW sound kit was compatible with a Mini "One".

I think that it might be only compatible with the cooper but then again the "One" uses the same engine as the cooper so maybe it is suitable? Also has anyone had any experience with this particular sound kit and being honest with me...is it crap:p:question:

Ive spotted one for sale that I hope may go for a relatively cheap price:D

Thanks, Ryan

Bignorm
26th April 2007, 07:23 PM
NAH ONLY FOR THE COOPER MATE ON MY SCREEN DONT KNOW IF IT COULD WORK THO

ianking
26th April 2007, 07:24 PM
I had it fitted to my last car (05 plate Cooper). I thought it was good as it made a great noise, particularly when you pushed the reves right hard. I feel that it made the car ever so slightly nippier as well.
If you get a kit cheap you will still need a BMW dealer to recode your car as I think the ECU gets a remap. That is if the kit fits the One.

Mini Me
26th April 2007, 08:16 PM
Norman's right, only listed for Cooper...
the kit itself increased the power by 4bhp , but the noise.........nice:p

Ivano
26th April 2007, 09:05 PM
I love the JCW Sound Kit, and what a sound particulary inside the cabin, as alot of noise is plumbed into the car to give it the race car feel......

ianking
26th April 2007, 09:18 PM
I wish my new R56 S sounded as good as my old Cooper with its sound kit fitted. My new S at the moment sounds a bit like a single cylinder diesel generator.

Burple
26th April 2007, 09:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mini Me

Does the Remap ..er.. Re-map the whole of the ECU? Or only certain parts?
If it remaps the whole ECU then the remap would work on a One as well and give the same final output as a Cooper with the Soundkit surely??

Or is this being concealed from the general public so you sales monkeys ;) can flog us for more of our hard earned so we buy Coopers instead of Ones?

An MTH or Bluefin remap of a One gives the same result as the identical map on a Cooper.. so what's the story? Not the 'Official BMW' line... the truth?

:D

Heard a soundkit Cooper.. I'd rather have my Playmini any day ;):p

Mini Me
26th April 2007, 10:08 PM
haw, come up for air ancle muncher !!!!:p
the re-map upgrades the ecu on the cooper only....(concealed , sakes monkey's) sounds about right:p:p

duncan
26th April 2007, 10:49 PM
Mind the gear ratio is different on the One, so that might affect the ECU settings.

Burple
27th April 2007, 12:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Mind the gear ratio is different on the One, so that might affect the ECU settings.

aye.. but with that in mind.. everything else bar the ECU is the same no?

I just want to here a definite reason why I should spend a couple of hundred on an MTH remap rather than get gubbed for more than double that for a 'proper' bit of MINI kit...
(without mentioning the words 'warranty' or 'tlc';):p)

Mini Me
27th April 2007, 12:31 AM
i'll kidd on i never read that:p

duncan
27th April 2007, 02:15 AM
Nope, the standard exhaust is different too, but in the case of fitting the Sound Kit that would be lobbed anyway.

It'll be the JCW name being fitted to a car thats not a Cooper that'll be the reason, aka, brand protection.

Anyway, you took the One badge off your motor.:eek::p

N12 JLK
27th April 2007, 03:38 AM
We had the sound kit fitted to our cooper and it was a waste of money , it was good at the time but when you hear the play mini exhaust system it blows it away, we payed £650 and traded it in 8 months later:disapprove:

RyanK
27th April 2007, 03:52 AM
Thanks guys for all of your input, however I am still thinking (as with low n loud1) why not if the 'One' uses a 'de-tuned' version of the coopers engine?

However from your folks input it sounds like to me that PlayMini is the way to go. Mods on the cards now are a slashcut PlayMini zaurst, Pipercross Indc. Kit & Lohen LO1 package. Hopefully this will improve it;):cool:.

Thanks again folks for your input:)

RyanK
27th April 2007, 03:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:Originally posted by Mini Me

Does the Remap ..er.. Re-map the whole of the ECU? Or only certain parts?
If it remaps the whole ECU then the remap would work on a One as well and give the same final output as a Cooper with the Soundkit surely??

Or is this being concealed from the general public so you sales monkeys ;) can flog us for more of our hard earned so we buy Coopers instead of Ones?

An MTH or Bluefin remap of a One gives the same result as the identical map on a Cooper.. so what's the story? Not the 'Official BMW' line... the truth?

:D

Heard a soundkit Cooper.. I'd rather have my Playmini any day ;):p

Haha Nice One, also would of asked the same question:D

Good shout chief;)

Burple
27th April 2007, 06:59 AM
Just for some advice tho, remember to consider the ramifications Re. your warranty and the TLC packages, be aware any mods you made might affect them! :evil::D

Wul
27th April 2007, 05:36 PM
I have the soundkit on my cooper and like it a lot - although ther have been a few (including mine) of the JCW back boxes have failed withing 6-8 months!! The JCW kit retains the airbox so the induction noise is less than a Pipercross filter.