PDA

View Full Version : Nightmare..well looks like it is almost sorted

FergusM
25th April 2007, 03:18 AM
So car stolen, thought that was bad but no..it only gtes worse...

Car recovered, but, there is always a but..they tried to "torch it" and it has smoke damage...so now waiting to see if it is fixable...or a write off.

Either way I don't want the car.... any of the dealers any adivce on this ? All I know is that it has "smoke damage"... if fixed by Lexus will it affect the trade in value ?

Anyone any idea on what I they will need to change for "smoke damage"...guessing if it is inside the car then all materials etc..and any idea if this will be enough to get it written off.

I just would have such a bad feeling if I get this car back that even if fixed it will have to go...even if at a bit of a loss. Might put back mini plans a bit as would need to recover the drop I'll have to take to sell it...

Not a good week so far, and only Tuesday !

Sweeney
25th April 2007, 03:28 AM
Im sure you have the right to refuse it/keep sending it back until you are happy with the repair job, thats if they decide to attempt to get it back to 100% lemon zest freshness :)

As for resale value wont it be logged against the vehicle that it was stolen but recovered so i think perhap may harm it a little?

FergusM
25th April 2007, 03:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

Im sure you have the right to refuse it/keep sending it back until you are happy with the repair job, thats if they decide to attempt to get it back to 100% lemon zest freshness :)

As for resale value wont it be logged against the vehicle that it was stolen but recovered so i think perhap may harm it a little?

I will be looking for it to be "lemon fresh" and will call the dealer tomorrow to set my expectations.

That is my worry, car was immaculate with only 14,5k miles.. I figured when I traded / sold it in 6-9 months I would have got "excellent" condition..now no chance.

I just hope the smoke damage was bad... sad thing to say really.

Sweeney
25th April 2007, 04:06 AM
Well you would've still lost a packet on trading it in, i know i will when i go to get rid of mine for smashing it :(

As for "smoke damage" it could be anything but think about it anything damaged will be replaced, so will be new parts and id imagine it may only be cosmetic. A good wipe would sort it out :)

AeroJonny
25th April 2007, 04:30 AM
Do you not have the right to send it to any bodyshop you see fit?

Which Lexus dealer did you buy it from?

ianking
25th April 2007, 05:29 AM
Surely the smoke damage will be mega as ive seen a couple of burning cars before and boy oh boy it doesnt take long for them to get going. If they tried to burn the car then the fire brigade must have turned up within a minute or 2 to put it out which would make me think the car will be damp as well. Either that or the little torags were just scorching the inside with aerosol cans or similar.

Im sure you have the right to say that you dont want the car back. About 4 years ago I had a big smash in a mini and the repair folk said they would be quite happy to advise the insurance co that it was a write of although they said that it was prob not a write off. The car ended up going to a salvage place and someone bought it to do it up.

FergusM
25th April 2007, 05:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

Do you not have the right to send it to any bodyshop you see fit?

Which Lexus dealer did you buy it from?

Lexus Glasgow... should be ther on Thursday and see what the "smoke Damage" means.. and more importantly what it will cost to fix.

Leather everywhere so it is smoke damaged or scorched...then it might quickly add up to being expensive. I wil certainly be looking for it to be absolutely perfect... and then trade it...

FergusM
25th April 2007, 05:59 AM

Well you would've still lost a packet on trading it in, i know i will when i go to get rid of mine for smashing it :(

As for "smoke damage" it could be anything but think about it anything damaged will be replaced, so will be new parts and id imagine it may only be cosmetic. A good wipe would sort it out :)

A good wipe...maybe but guessing that if smoke throughout car it will stink ?

FergusM
25th April 2007, 06:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

Surely the smoke damage will be mega as ive seen a couple of burning cars before and boy oh boy it doesnt take long for them to get going. If they tried to burn the car then the fire brigade must have turned up within a minute or 2 to put it out which would make me think the car will be damp as well. Either that or the little torags were just scorching the inside with aerosol cans or similar.

Im sure you have the right to say that you dont want the car back. About 4 years ago I had a big smash in a mini and the repair folk said they would be quite happy to advise the insurance co that it was a write of although they said that it was prob not a write off. The car ended up going to a salvage place and someone bought it to do it up.

I am certainly goingto say I dont want it back..even if they pay out a bit less... would just have a bad feeling with car that I doubt will go away.

Sweeney
25th April 2007, 06:03 AM
know the feeling lol up to you really cause im sure youve got various options... as far as ive experienced (through work) insurance companies pressure you into doing things that suit them, not you...

FergusM
25th April 2007, 04:25 PM

know the feeling lol up to you really cause im sure youve got various options... as far as ive experienced (through work) insurance companies pressure you into doing things that suit them, not you...

Thing is I'm not sure of my options are, never dealt that much with insurance companies... and have yet to see the car. Just spoke to the compund where it is and it is internal fire damage, and that they can't enter the car till it has been looked at by police (hopefully this moring)...then it gets taken to Lexus and they assess the damage.

Only other bit of info is that there was no key recovered with it so sounds like a full new set of locks will be added to the bill.

Soooo annoyed just now... but if I get a new mini I'm sure it will put a smile on my face..

Gismo
25th April 2007, 04:36 PM
It's up to the insurers discretion whether it's a write off or not, they will estimate the car's value against the repair costs, simple maths, if it costs more to repair it's written off.
Sad to say, it's not your choice, but, you can reject shoddy work, not cause you don't really want it back, but genuine poor work carried out

Scottie
25th April 2007, 04:45 PM
well first things forst the insurance company will want to find out how it was stolen and make sure you didn;t leave the keys with it, that it was not un locked and that no windows were open.?

After that and they are happy it will just depend on the cost of repair against the value of the car.

Having written 3 cars off not any of them my fault. 2 were scraped

the last one because I was owing more on the car than what it was worth The assessor agree to fix the car if I paid for the cost of the wheels.8)

It got a new body shell etc etc. I kept the car for 6 months and then traded the car back into the garage that fixed her. They couldn't quibble over the fact that it was in a accident as they have to repair them back to original standard. If they didn't it is like saying their own body shop didn't do the job right.

However if you want to trade the car into another garage then in all honestly yes it will have a knock on effect.

This was about 20 odd years ago so it may all have changed since then

ianking
25th April 2007, 04:45 PM
If the keys were not recovered it will prob need a new ECU and there may also be a seperate ECU for the Fuel injection system as that can often be the case for a Jap car. Good news for you is that this is mega bucks so will add to the bill and result hopefully in a write off.

FergusM
25th April 2007, 06:48 PM
Well..latest update is that they are calling it a total loss as they were worried about toxic fumes as the interior was burned out...actually very relieved.

Now just have to try and sort out a settlement figure and get a cheque through...and of course work out when I can get my new mini !

illegalhunter
25th April 2007, 07:19 PM
Now the hard bit is the settlement fig ,they will break your heart.

Clare1
25th April 2007, 07:25 PM
Fergus, do you have Gap cover with your Finance agreement, if yes then you dont need to worry about your settlement!

FergusM
25th April 2007, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by deerslayer

Now the hard bit is the settlement fig ,they will break your heart.

Yes, but GAP insurance should make it more palatable...

I would recommend that everyone gets it ! Saved me big time !

ianking
25th April 2007, 07:53 PM
I dont think that GAP is needed on a mini if you put a big deposit down as you shouldnt be in negative equity due to the fact that minis hold their money quite well. If it was a big thing such as a BMW or Merc or Lexus then yes its a good thing. You see folk loosing £10K in one year quite easily with these big motors.

Gismo
25th April 2007, 08:37 PM
Can someone explain to me why fully comprehensive insurance does not allow you to replace a written off car like for like :mad:
GAP insurance should be made illegal, you've already got insurance to cover whatever happens :disapprove:

If your car is written off, it should be replaced with an exact replica :evil:

ianking
25th April 2007, 08:53 PM
yes but if the car is on finance and the finance remaining is more than the value of said vehicle then you have to find the difference your self to pay the finance folk. GAP will cover this.
However if you get a brand new car , i.e first registered keeper and it is written off in the first 12 months then most insurance Comanies will get you a like for like. You have to be 1st reg keeper on the written off car though so if the garage reg it in their name 1st then you are unable to do this.

Gismo
25th April 2007, 09:00 PM

yes but if the car is on finance and the finance remaining is more than the value of said vehicle then you have to find the difference your self to pay the finance folk. GAP will cover thisOk, but, the insurer will look at market values and give you the agreed market value, which allows you to go and get another like for like car.
Finance shouldn't and needn't come into it then as you continue to pay for just another car.

Simialrly, if you decide to sell your car and you have finance outstanding you have to find the difference then anyway, so, just cause your car is written off doesn't entitle you to a brand new one (unless it's under 12 months old)

I know what you're saying, i'm just trying to say that GAP inbsurance is a money making con and should be banned, why else should we pay insurance twice for the same thing :disapprove:

AndyP & Lenore
25th April 2007, 09:01 PM

You have to be 1st reg keeper on the written off car though so if the garage reg it in their name 1st then you are unable to do this.
That's when RTI cover is a good thing. It returns you to the original invoice price paid. So even if you don't replace the car, the insurance company give you market value for the car which for arguments sake lets say is 5K short of what you paid for it, the RTI cover will pay the difference, giving you a cheque to cover the difference between what the insurance pay out is and what the purchase price is. But I think with RTI you're still liable for settling the finance. But with "early settlement discounts" this should be less than the invoice price anyway.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
25th April 2007, 09:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Can someone explain to me why fully comprehensive insurance does not allow you to replace a written off car like for like :mad:
GAP insurance should be made illegal, you've already got insurance to cover whatever happens :disapprove:

Alan, it's not often this happens, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. If you are the first purchaser of the car, and you have fully comprehensive insurance, it shouldn't matter how old the car is (within reason - up to three or four years) the vehicle should be replaced for you.

If not automatically included, it should at least be an offer for a small extra fee like NCB protection.

A.:approve:

ianking
25th April 2007, 09:28 PM
If a car is written off and there is car finance attached to it (not a personal loan as that would not be attached to the car) then the finance must be settled as you are technically no longer the keeper of the car but the finance for the car was in your name. It would be like buying a used car and finding that someone still had finance on it and if they didnt make the payments then the car would be taked from you.

FergusM
25th April 2007, 10:03 PM
So I have no car payments (do have a personal loan)... so my insurance will pay the "fair" market value out for the car. The GAP will on top take me back to the full initial purchase price of the car... so I am basically not loosing 2 years deperciation on my Lexus... which was substantial !

I will go for it...even on a mini... best £200 I have ever been talked into spending. The car sales men are not that bad afterall ;)

Clare1
25th April 2007, 10:24 PM
Not all insurance companies replace cars on a like for like basis. Even although, i agree it seems a bit unfair that to be covered completely you need to pay for two seperate types of insurance its something that has helps out so many people, everyday.

We've seen it happen a few times, Eg, Customer pays £15000 for new car, pays £500 dep and finances rest, writes it off 6 months later and still owes more that the car is worth. not a good situation, as not everyone has savings or funds to clear this off, in the event the car si written off or stolen.

Gap cover will make sure you are never left paying for a car that you no longer own as it makes up the difference between your Insurance Payout and Outstanding Settlement Figure.

Shortfall insurace works on a similar basis but it is a Return to Invoice Price Insurance, so you get back what you paid for the car and this can be taken out on a car whether you have Finance on it or are paying cash.

KenL
26th April 2007, 12:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

It will be within the first year.

BJN
26th April 2007, 01:22 AM
I think fully comp insurance should have Gap/rtI built in. If my phone gets nicked, I pay the XS and get the money to buy a new one, irrespective of how old the phone is and how much I've used it.

...and I pay a lot more for my car / bike insurance each year

Gismo
26th April 2007, 01:32 AM
The finance can be and should be transferred to the replacement car.
If you're car is wrecked within 6 months on fully comp, it will be replaced with a new car through the normal insurance, if the car is wrecked after say 2 years, you're insurance company should replace it with a like for like car of 2 years old, or you do with the money you get, then, your initial finance is moved to the replacement car.

You'll still have finance to pay, but, on the replacement car instead of the other car, what is the difference there????

Don't get me wrong, i understand the GAP deal, but, i still maintain it's a con :p

Clare, if a car is written off as you say, it'll be replaced by normal fully comp insurance, then the finance simply goes onto the new car

The Dogfather
26th April 2007, 02:14 AM
Alan, the finance doesn't transfer across to the new car. The finance company will want the finance to be paid off, which will include some interest penalty.

KenL
26th April 2007, 02:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by BJN

I think fully comp insurance should have Gap/rtI built in. If my phone gets nicked, I pay the XS and get the money to buy a new one, irrespective of how old the phone is and how much I've used it.

...and I pay a lot more for my car / bike insurance each year

Yes but:

a) Phone insurance is a rip off. You'll probably find your phone is covered for loss under your house insurance.

b) It costs a helluva lot more to replace a car than a phone.

ianking
26th April 2007, 02:53 AM
Finance is held on the chassis number of the car and is non transferrable. If the car is in theory sold to the insurance company then it must be settled in full.

Gismo
26th April 2007, 03:25 AM

Finance is held on the chassis number of the car and is non transferrable. If the car is in theory sold to the insurance company then it must be settled in fullNot disagreeing with any of these points, but, give the finance company the choice of continued payments or no settlement i guarantee the finance company will move the outstanding money to the replacement car, add the replacement vehicles VIN number to the finance etc etc etc

ianking
26th April 2007, 03:31 AM
yes Alan I do agree with you but they just wont do it. I said the very same to my insurers about 4 years ago when my mini was written off.

Stewart
26th April 2007, 08:34 AM
Fergus can i just ask is this a new56 mini? I know my honda cant be stolen without my key-chip.....

Sorry found your other post- dam i bet the keys were at the phone!

Since my mate got his stolen off his drive with the keys downstairs actually on the stairs I’ve always taken both cars keys upstairs when I go to bed…..

FergusM
26th April 2007, 04:49 PM
Car was a Lexus RX300Se (big 4x4 thing).... mini is going to be the replacement.

Car keys were stolen from my kitchen... I had dumped then in plain view on kitchen work surface when I got in (having 2 kids was otherwise distracted). The kitchen window was on the latch from cooking dinner and they must have just popped it open and got the keys. They stood on the kids wee plastic slide in garden to get enough height to get to the window.

Please note.. this was between 7pm and 10:20pm...and both myself and wife were in the house ! Probably made easier as we have a cat and when kids go to bed at 7:30pm or so the cat is shut in the kitchen (with a cat flap so he can get out) and we sit in the living room at the front of the house ! Probably would not have heard tehm if reasonably quiet.

So now all keys in a safer location and out of view ! ...sounds sooo stupid when I write it all out :(

Gismo
26th April 2007, 05:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by FergusM

So now all keys in a safer location and out of view ! ...sounds sooo stupid when I write it all out :(Don't beat yourself up too much about it, in extreme cases nowadays the theives will wake you, often armed with baseball bats etc to discover the location of the keys , you have to decide whether you leave the keys in another part of the house.
Main rule for insurance purposes is not to leave them within easy access of the front door or letterbox etc

KenL
26th April 2007, 05:22 PM
Yes, I would much rather they take just the car.