PDA

View Full Version : I really wanted this car

creamcooper
22nd April 2007, 06:54 PM
Hi all,
I bought my first Mini Cooper back in 2005 because it made good financial sense for someone staring up their own business who needed transport. The car was fantastic and just the best fun to drive, no other car have I ever just looked forward to driving.
I have now just taken delivery of a new 2007 Cooper because I wanted it. The engine is better, the gearbox is much better, the ride is so improved, but its still such fun to drive.
Am I not alone in seeking out roundabouts !!

P.S any reported problems with this model that anyone knows about.

The Dogfather
22nd April 2007, 07:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by creamcooper

P.S any reported problems with this model that anyone knows about.

Craig will be along soon to fill you in with his list, biggest problem seems to be part supply

Gismo
22nd April 2007, 07:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Craig will be along soon to fill you in with his list, biggest problem seems to be part supplyBut that was for the S, not sure what ongoing problems there are for the Cooper

Craig
22nd April 2007, 11:20 PM
as Alan says, my problems were mostly with the S. Scottiecoop has 2 coopers and seems to have very few problems.

the problems I have had and fixed are

new dual mass flywheel and clutch
new alternator, air con pulley and V poly pulley belt
2 new front wiper motors and assembly

Problems still to be fixed...

speakers on HiFi upgrade to be changed (parts on order for over 4 weeks now..)
sound of rushing water from passenger side of dash (looked at twice and not resolved yet)
pulsing of fuel gauge (awaiting software update)..

there is also the intermittent "diesel" noise from the car when cold, but it goes away after the car heats up. Told by head of mini technical Steven Knowles that this is a "characteristc" of the vehicle... funny it doesn't say that in the sales brochure.. ;)

Scottie
23rd April 2007, 02:00 AM
2 Coopers and have had 1 problem so far. However a software upgrade seems to have fixed it and is now running smoother than what it had been.

Other than minor things like a creak in the front drivers window a whistle from the auto aircon a rattle from the dash (I am living with all these things) as they don't bother me to much. that's about it. Yellow Mellow have now covered 2700 miles since November.

Gorbash12346
23rd April 2007, 02:37 AM
quote:there is also the intermittent "diesel" noise from the car when cold, but it goes away after the car heats up. Told by head of mini technical Steven Knowles that this is a "characteristc" of the vehicle... funny it doesn't say that in the sales brochure..

i've got to be honest i thought they all did it... have a listen to a new 325i coupe when its cold it's bloody awful sounding and thesame engine in the peugeot (sp?) 207 does do the same thing just my 2 pence worth

KenL
23rd April 2007, 03:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Other than minor things like a creak in the front drivers window

That could well be the same thing that was happening with mine. I got some "Gummi Pflege" rubber conditioning spray for £3.20 from BigNorm which has sorted it.

I think the window rubbers can dry out, applying this re-lubes and protects it. I had probably dried mine out by giving them a clean! I think you are meant to apply tuff to all your rubber seals to keep them looking good.

KenL
23rd April 2007, 03:08 AM
CreamCooper,

My Jan built R56 is absolutely fantastic, that's all I can say about it :)

Please post pics of yours.

T6 KFR
23rd April 2007, 03:24 AM
well hopefully my MCS will have no problems when it arrives in June...fingers crossed, although all new things have teething problems..

creamcooper
23rd April 2007, 05:16 PM
My only complaints on the new model are;

Fuel tank is reduced to 40 litres, but Cooper S is still 50 litres, beats me that one. Anyone know the reason for this?

I think the radio is pretty poor, reception is not as good and sound quality is just bad for a modern radio. Wish I had known this before buying.

So far so good with the rest. This is my second new car in a month, the garage mucked up the spec on the first so I had to drive around in the wrong car until the correct model arrived. The gearbox is better on the second car, less notchy from 5th to 6th.

euan
23rd April 2007, 06:04 PM

Fuel tank is reduced to 40 litres, but Cooper S is still 50 litres, beats me that one. Anyone know the reason for this?

Don't know the reason but I assume the range of the cars is similar as the Cooper will be less thirsty than the S?

As for the engine note, was it 5th Gear that had an M5 that sounded like a diesel on startup?

Scottie
23rd April 2007, 09:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Don't know the reason but I assume the range of the cars is similar as the Cooper will be less thirsty than the S?

As for the engine note, was it 5th Gear that had an M5 that sounded like a diesel on startup?

cooper is actually more thirsty. Has to work hard with the 6 speed gear box.

euan
23rd April 2007, 10:20 PM
Seriously? That's mad!!!

Craig
23rd April 2007, 11:10 PM
aye but true... on the recent run down to Oxford and back I got 43mpg and I think Fiona got about 40.... :approve::approve:

KenL
23rd April 2007, 11:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude

aye but true... on the recent run down to Oxford and back I got 43mpg and I think Fiona got about 40.... :approve::approve:

What size wheels are you both on?

Was this before Fiona got her car fixed with the software update?

Scottie
24th April 2007, 01:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

don't think the other R56 Cooper on the Oxford run done to well either.

on the whole the S gets better MPG.

AndyP & Lenore
24th April 2007, 02:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by creamcooper in his signature strip

MINI Cooper R56.Pepper white with furry dice!

Car sounds very nice. Pics please!!!:D:D

I think your biggest problem is going to be those furry dice.:eek:;):D We are now in the 00's, not the 80's.;)

A.:D

creamcooper
24th April 2007, 03:31 AM
Car is very nice, and pics may well follow once I get the hang of all this posting stuff.

Furry dice were a present from a small child (not mine, they have all left home) and hence very difficult to remove without copious tears etc.:I

Anyhow I was told Naff was cool these days ! Have I been misinformed per chance:question::eek:

T6 KFR
24th April 2007, 03:45 AM
maybe we could start a trend - we should all buy furry dice!

:I

AndyP & Lenore
24th April 2007, 04:03 AM

Anyhow I was told Naff was cool these days ! Have I been misinformed per chance:question::eek:
Perhaps.... but I can't see you driving past some tidy looking blonde female and her looking round and saying to her equally tidy looking blonde girlfriend "Say, that's a cool MINI. And those dice just finish it off.":D

A.:D

creamcooper
24th April 2007, 04:13 AM
No wonder my wife was a bit happy about those dice, mmmm:mad:

I guess the Martin and Babs over the windscreen is a bit naff too then?:(

AndyP & Lenore
24th April 2007, 05:03 AM

No wonder my wife was a bit happy about those dice, mmmm:mad:

I guess the Martin and Babs over the windscreen is a bit naff too then?:(

LOL. Please tell me it's in a nice shade of Pink, with yellow lettering.

A.;)

KenL
25th April 2007, 05:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

quote:Originally posted by KenL

don't think the other R56 Cooper on the Oxford run done to well either.

on the whole the S gets better MPG.

I just can't see how this can be true ;)

On a gentle run in my Cooper sitting 65-70 through to Glasgow with no traffic I got 51mpg - could the S do this?

Through town, it is easy to at least match the claimed 36mpg in the Cooper.

I'll start two threads on MINI2 :)

KenL
25th April 2007, 05:45 AM
Threads here:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-mini-cooper/139824-what-mpg-uk-gallons-you-getting.html

http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-mini-cooper-s/139821-what-mpg-uk-gallons-you-getting.html