PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Shark Gil side vents

Vosh
31st January 2004, 07:59 PM
Not planning on any major mods for my new Coop as I just love the look of it as it is. But I do like those shark side vents. Now, bearing in mind I struggle to replace a light blub and in general I am a DIY disaster area, how easy are they to fit?

Wul
31st January 2004, 09:50 PM
They are easy Vosh - open the bonnet a put your hand down the side of the wheel arch behind the indicator/ vent and push out - it's only held in by two push fit grommets - disconnect the repeator connection and fitting new is a reversal of this - my advice is when fitting the new ones - press the fitting in with one hand and push the grommet part (on the car) out from the inside of the wheel arch to make sure the grill fits soundly - sounds more complex than it is - i assure you! and be careful with the new ones as they will crack easily if pushed in too hard! :eek:

KenL
31st January 2004, 10:33 PM
It is very easy but with mine the grommets were a bit weak and I had to put a wee bit of silicone in there to hold the front in place. Been there for at least a year now I think.

I like them, the standard ones you get on a ONE/Cooper are a wee bit bland.

mgemie
3rd February 2004, 10:35 PM
The fitting of these shark gill side vents only takes about 5min. I had a bit of trouble with the RHS vent and a weak grommet but sorted it in the end.

These vents make a major difference to the general appearance of your MINI, much better than the standard vents.

Have a look at my MO with its shark vents:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/mgemie/

Vosh
5th February 2004, 09:40 PM
I've ordered them! :)

Expect a message asking why the wheel/door/roof fell off...

Vosh
9th February 2004, 01:50 AM
And they're on. Must admit when they arrived I wasn't too impressed with them. But figured fitting them would be the only way to know for sure. And once they were on, they look great! Nearly broke both thumbs applying serious pressure to get them to click in place at the grommets. And, er, broke one of the tabs at the idicator end. But the grommet end holds it firm. Then washed the car and blasted said broke tab fin with the power wash and it never moved so it should be fine. I hope... :)

Cheers for the help!