PDA

View Full Version : tyre pressure sensor

Ryza
17th April 2007, 01:42 AM
hi all,

wonder if one of you could help here...

6 weeks ago i bought some new 17" wheels for my 03 cooper.... these were put on the car no problem (no warning light).... today i had to take the wheels back due to some of the powder coating flaking off....

so they just put my old 15" alloy wheels back on....when driving home the tyre pressure warning light came on (flashing)....so i stopped at the petrol station to check the pressure as the tyres are not runflats.... admittedly they were at 24psi...so inflated to 30psi all round.... unfortunately the light is still flashing...

does this require a reset ....if so how do you do it?? :(

your help would be appreciated..

Cheerz

Ryan

Gismo
17th April 2007, 02:08 AM
Make sure the tyre pressures are the same on each axle, then, with the ignition on, press and hold the tyre sensor switch until the light goes out, start the engine, then, even although the light may still cone back on, drive off for 200 yards or so to allow the sensors to react.
If this does not work, you can keep the button pressed whilst driving along an even road surface, the light should go out

Ryza
17th April 2007, 02:25 AM
thx bud

sorry to sound daft but....pressed the only button i could see...which is the one for resetting the trip counter....

Is this the same or is there something i'm missing..... not very technical....

duncan
17th April 2007, 02:49 AM
Its the button near the handbrake, that's got a wee picture similar to what the fault light shows.

AeroJonny
17th April 2007, 02:54 AM
the light doesn't go out when you push it...it stays on constantly. turn the ignition to position 2, then push the buttontill the light goes on constantly. start the engine then it goes out once you've driven off a bit.

The explanation in the owner's manual is probably easier to interpret and more than likely has diagrams to ;)

Ryza
17th April 2007, 03:01 AM
gentlemen....excellent....tried it just there and all is well...

thanx

Gorbash12346
17th April 2007, 04:47 AM
the reason it has done that is due to the differemce in rolling diamters of the two sets of wheels as it is only designed to detect a difference in this measurement and therefore any change of trye presures, tyres, and it should be reset

KenL
17th April 2007, 05:06 AM
I try and reset every now and then. I always do it after adding air to the tyres. I imagine it is definitely required if you get new tyres and/or wheels.

KenL
17th April 2007, 05:07 AM
Procedure is stupidly complicated in the R56, OK for a clever chap like me :p but I can't imagine an oldy like my mum or dad coping with it :eek:

Gorbash12346
18th April 2007, 06:41 AM
you get used to it though... after about the 4th or 5th pdi :(

Ryza
24th April 2007, 01:09 AM
thanx again people...

Ryza

harryboy22002
25th April 2007, 11:04 PM
hi there
funny thing happened today;
was driving into work and [dont ask why] -but i coasted for thirty yards and my low pressure run flat light came on ?? when i came off shift and started car light was still on? pressed button beside handbrake and red light changed to orange for two-three-seconds then went out [ALL OKAY] ;;is this anything to be concerned about?
thanks in advance for any reply;s forthcoming
harryboy22002

BJN
25th April 2007, 11:07 PM
Sounds like you've got a punture

Sweeney
25th April 2007, 11:20 PM
depends, did it *bong* when it came on and it was red? if so thats it meant to have detected a puncture.
If amber/orange its telling you theres a problem with the RFI