PDA

View Full Version : run flat tires

beaniboy67
12th April 2007, 06:10 PM
hi guys.i just got my car and found out the tires are not run flat.They are r82's. Im going to be looking for a set of r85's pretty soon tho and wanted to ask the following questions.

Are run flat wheels different from what iv got or is it the tires that are different?

If i buy R85s should i buy run flat ones( if different from standard ones)?

Should i get 16" or 17" ?

Whats the benefits? is the price difference worth it if there is one?

ianking
12th April 2007, 06:23 PM
Go for 17's and stick a set of NON run flat tyres on as the ride will be much better. If your car has 15's on at the moment then it will have the air compressor and foam in the boot so if you get a puncture then you are fine. You can buy original mini 17 inch wheels and fit non run flat tyres without any probs. It will save you a fortune as well.

Gismo
12th April 2007, 06:28 PM
Very good question :p
Depends who you speak and/or listen to, your wheels will accept run flat or normal type tyres, the main difference is in the tyre, though the wheel rim will have a more pronounced lip.
As for what's better, no real answer other than your personal opinion, there are pro's and con's against each choice.

The ultimate handling is non runflat on 16's.

What you have to decide is whether you want the function of the run flat to get you home in the event of a puncture or the superior handling.

Personally, i will stick with run flats due to experiencing the hassle of having a puncture with normal tyres when approx 80 miles from home, i needed the mini service to get me home, took approx 3-1/2 hours to get home, then i still had to get a new tyre.
Good luck ;)

Gismo
12th April 2007, 06:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by iankingIf your car has 15's on at the moment then it will have the air compressor and foam in the boot so if you get a puncture then you are fineNot strictly true as i found out, i had everything, tyre sealant, compressor etc, but, the sealant wasn't able to seal the side wall puncture that would not have happened with a run flat

s12cot
12th April 2007, 06:38 PM
i have 17's and will be changing them to 16's as they are far better for handling and performance, yes they don't look as good but they give the car a sharpness in steering that 17's just don't.
i have run flats for ease, not as good as non-run flats but as BS says if you get a burst you are pretty bug*erd

beaniboy67
12th April 2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks very much guys. I have used the foam before on my last car and it worked really really good on 2 occasions. On another occasion i had a bad puncture and drove on the tire for 75 yds or something before i really notice it. Once you do that i think it can end up ripping it or damaging it too much and the foam doesnt set correct.

i will weigh it up once i go for the new wheels.

cheers again folks!

S

rockwellcm
13th April 2007, 07:37 AM
just my 2p worth,having had both types,i found the 15" wheels (non run flats) had much better handling,and my current 17" runflatsd tramlines a lot,at first i thought there was something wrong with the steering,but its down to the hard sidewalls on runflats.

i know 4-5 mini owners who when they had non runflats the foam/compresser failed to work,this was also the case on a Lotus (no spare also)in most cases the BMW 24 service thing bailed them out,ok if your cars newish (3years or less)your golden,if not..........

Donald

rockwellcm
13th April 2007, 07:39 AM
Now thats strange,i was down to about 3-4 posts since the board crashed a few months ago (or ISP did),now i am back up to 80+,totaly off topic,but whats going on?

Donald

asuds86
13th April 2007, 03:50 PM
Whats the deal with mini service?
Do the rescue you no matter where you are?
Is this an optional extra that you have to pay £x per year or so for, or is it free benefit?
Sorry for all the Q's but I just thought before that if you got a puncture it was up to yourself to pay to get out of the sitsuation.

rockwellcm
17th April 2007, 01:37 AM
I cannot say for tyre failure,but i had to get towed away a couple of months due to an oil problem,all towed,and fixed for free
no charge

Donald