PDA

View Full Version : Projector Headlights?

RyanK
12th April 2007, 03:48 AM
Hi folks,

Does anyone know of projector headlights for the Mini? Reason being is that I am going to be getting myself a HID kit soon & would prefer the 'projector look' rather than the look I currently have with the Pre-Facelift lights (you know the crystal glass instead of clear).

I have thought of upgrading headlamps to facelift ones but then still have the same problem when it comes to getting the 'projector look' lol...although this may be the only way forward.

Thanks in Advance & all help/info welcome

AndyP & Lenore
12th April 2007, 04:53 AM
Ryan we fitted a HID kit to our X5. Worked a treat. We had an auto electrician fit it though 'cos I hardly know one end of a screwdriver from another.

There's more details in this thread. (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10449)

We bought our HID's from Autobulbs Direct (http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk).

A.:D

RyanK
12th April 2007, 05:44 AM
Nice to get feedback on someone with them, my uncle has them on his ML and they look awesome...better than standard xenons themselves! However his ML came with projector headlights unlike my buggy did lol:(

I think I will just go for a set of HID's, been looking all over the place for 'projectors' and looks like no-one makes them unless I did a DIY job but like yourself i don't know one end of a screw driver from another haha:D

I will shop around, & unfortunately the link you posted is under construction at the moment. Is it H7's I need for my 2002 Mini?

AndyP & Lenore
12th April 2007, 05:50 AM
I guess Autobulbs are doing a web site re-fit or something.

Honestly I don't know which model you need. The guy's at Autobulbs were quite knowledgeable. Rather than ordering on-line, I'd give them a call for advice.

RyanK
12th April 2007, 06:14 AM
Okay thanks for your help min

No doubt i'll start up a thread once there fitted:D

Scottie
12th April 2007, 06:41 AM
does your Mini headlights have the cap dome over the end of the bulb.

We had Hids fitted to another make of car and the down side was that we had to break and get out the dome cap that was fixed to the silver reflector interior part of the head light. Honestly it ruined the look.

I looked at headlights on the R56 cooper re fitting hids and notice they also have this dome cap (not sure of proper name). You need to make sure the bulb will fit in behind this and not be to long.

Also another down side on the car we had them fitted to it did not have headlight washers and in the winter with hids fitted you notice how rubbish the throw of light was when the lense was dirty.

vintageb3
12th April 2007, 07:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Ryan we fitted a HID kit to our X5. Worked a treat. We had an auto electrician fit it though 'cos I hardly know one end of a screwdriver from another.

Auch...Its easy...at one end there's a tip...the other end there's is a handle.

If you manage to put a screw in...you know you've got the hang of it!

See!!...every day is a day in the classroom

Tomorrows lesson: The Hammer and the method of persuasion

I can see you all getting excited about that one!

:clown:

Now...a Dremel....did I say it cuts?

mark

AndyP & Lenore
12th April 2007, 05:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by vintageb3

Auch...Its easy...at one end there's a tip...the other end there's is a handle.

If you manage to put a screw in...you know you've got the hang of it!

See!!...every day is a day in the classroom

But, Surely, that depends on if it's a left handed or right handed screwdriver.

If you know your comedy movies of the 80's I know what you'll come back with.

rpn
12th April 2007, 07:39 PM
quote:Tomorrows lesson: The Hammer and the method of persuasion

When you are holding a hammer, everything else looks like a nail. :D :D :D

OK, when does the lesson start? :approve:

RyanK
13th April 2007, 06:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

does your Mini headlights have the cap dome over the end of the bulb.

We had Hids fitted to another make of car and the down side was that we had to break and get out the dome cap that was fixed to the silver reflector interior part of the head light. Honestly it ruined the look.

I looked at headlights on the R56 cooper re fitting hids and notice they also have this dome cap (not sure of proper name). You need to make sure the bulb will fit in behind this and not be to long.

Also another down side on the car we had them fitted to it did not have headlight washers and in the winter with hids fitted you notice how rubbish the throw of light was when the lense was dirty.

Thanks for your input;)

I think my Mini headlights have the cap dome over the bulb, my headlights are the pre-facelift versions with the frosted glass allowing you not to see the bulb. I think this is what you mean?

Very good point noifying me about the cap dome!, would of never thought of that (i mean if the HID bulb would fit or not inside dome)

I heard that xenons must include a washer system?, therefore aftermarket HID's could result in a failed MOT? Correct me if i'm wrong please

AndyP & Lenore
13th April 2007, 07:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by RyanK
Thanks for your input;)

I think my Mini headlights have the cap dome over the bulb, my headlights are the pre-facelift versions with the frosted glass allowing you not to see the bulb. I think this is what you mean?

Very good point noifying me about the cap dome!, would of never thought of that (i mean if the HID bulb would fit or not inside dome)

I heard that xenons must include a washer system?, therefore aftermarket HID's could result in a failed MOT? Correct me if i'm wrong please

Ryan, it is possible that if you fit xenons without having a headlamp wash facility you could fail your MOT. :(

RyanK
15th April 2007, 01:41 AM
Oh right i see, theres always the dodgy MOT garage though:D:cool: