PDA

View Full Version : Air con

vintageb3
11th April 2007, 07:22 PM
I've made complaint about my aircon not working to BMW...

They tell me that it needs serviced and filled with gas.

I asked if there was a leak...and was told no...so asked why it needs filled with gas?

Has anyone else had aircon problems...and how often does aircon need serviced.

Been quoted a figure of £110....so don't fancy spending that if I have to shell that out every year.

Thanks

mark

ianking
11th April 2007, 07:29 PM
I had to get my last mini topped up. It was an 05 plate. I took it to a place in Galashiels called Munro's. They took £40. They do alot of air con recharges for local garages in that area. They done my dads Audi TT as well and his Saab before that. They do a great job.

PACMAN
11th April 2007, 07:38 PM
what are they topping up? :I I've never had to do that for my 206 Pug

BJN
11th April 2007, 08:36 PM
My Golf needed the gas topped up twice in 3 years, 1st time was done under warranty, I never bothered 2nd time as I was gettin rid of it. Girlfriend's 206 never needed topped up at all in 4 years!

Think they recommend having it done every 2 years

ianking
11th April 2007, 08:54 PM
I was told if you dont use it often then when you go to use it then it will need a top up. I had my last car from new and the air con was on almost all the time and yet it needed topped up when the car was about 14 months old.

AndyP & Lenore
11th April 2007, 09:01 PM
Can't say I've ever had to top up an Air Con unit, never had any problems with it in any car. I use it all the time too.

I would echo what Ian King said about Monro's in Galashiels. They are a fantastic bunch of guys. Had lots of work done by them, including a few Witter Towbars, and they installed the Road Pilot's in the X5 and the MINI. My family use them for all their cars too. Every time we go there, we get absolutely fantastic service. Probably the best service we've ever experienced out of any garage/vehicle repair/auto electrical place ever ever ever. Steve Monro (the owner) is a top bloke and a good customer of mine too!

A.:D:D

KenL
12th April 2007, 03:07 AM
I know you should use it often to keep the seals lubricated. My mate with an Astra found it wasn't working after about 9 months. He hadn't been using it and follishly told the dealer this - they refused warranty work and he had to pay.

I told him to check if it explicitly said you had to use it in the manual, not sure if he did.

KenL
12th April 2007, 03:08 AM
This is what Directline say, I gues this is where I got my info - they are my insurers.

http://www.directline.com/motor/uninsured.htm

AndyP & Lenore
12th April 2007, 03:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

This is what Directline say, I gues this is where I got my info - they are my insurers.

Wrong thread, perhaps?;)

PACMAN
12th April 2007, 03:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Wrong thread, perhaps?;)

:D:D other words a way to get you to re insure with them

KenL
12th April 2007, 04:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Wrong thread, perhaps?;)

Right enough :I

vintageb3
12th April 2007, 03:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

I had to get my last mini topped up. It was an 05 plate. I took it to a place in Galashiels called Munro's. They took £40. They do alot of air con recharges for local garages in that area. They done my dads Audi TT as well and his Saab before that. They do a great job.

Thanks for this Ian...will keep it in mind...car is out of warrenty in September...may just sweat until then.

Makes me wonder...if its not an item covered by warranty...is it OK to have a third party service that item without effecting the warranty of the whole car?

mark

Gorbash12346
14th April 2007, 07:27 AM
as long as they put in R134a i don't see a problem as long as the follow the correct procedure i.e. not venting to atmosphere

the bit about using it every once in a while to keep the seals in good nick is true unfortunately

vintageb3
14th April 2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks Gordon!!! Will keep that in mind!

mark