PDA

View Full Version : New Road Tax Laws - Discuss

Wul
30th January 2004, 04:58 PM
Had a thought when watching one of the Road Tax ads on telly last night.

The new law basically means if you run out of road tax and don't fill in the "vehicle off road" slip or renew the road tax then you will get instantly fined by a computer for £80!

Now correct me if i'm wrong but the legal system is founded on evidence of guilt and comitting a crime (ie innocent until proven guilty) so.....

...on that basis surely your car still has to be "witnessed" as being on the public highway with no road tax in order to allow the prosecution to progress or has the government changed the way the law works?

Ways in which this is gonna cause hassle:

- Road tax reminders lost in post/ delivered to wrong address
- DVLC delay in changing registered owners
- Car restorers moving house but forgetting to change their details on the log book.

Giving me the creeps as it is the start of pre-crime - anyone seen minority report?:eek:

Any lawyers on here care to comment:question:

discuss.........:):p

KenL
30th January 2004, 05:22 PM
Sorry, cannae be bothered :evil:

Oh, alright then.

I think it's wrong but then for years if you haven't been buying road tax you had to send a form, signed saying that the car was off the road.

No doubt this is just another money making scheme :mad:

Duncan Stewart
30th January 2004, 06:11 PM
I got caught with this when I got my Mini. Traded in my Corolla and thought I was rid of the thing but then in the summer I got the £80 fine as the tax had been cashed in and no SORN filled in. I replied with a letter explaining the circumstances and giving the Mini dealers details - a few weeks later I got a letter saying "no further action" would be taken. Moral of the story - fill in the bit of the reg document yourself about change of ownership!

Wul
30th January 2004, 06:38 PM
See - that's what i'm on about - it's happening already!

john
30th January 2004, 09:44 PM
Its worse than that!!

If you buy a car with no road tax and the previous owner has SORN declareded the car (good citizen).
You are still liable because you now own the car but have not SORN declared it!!!!(how crap is that??)