PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Panel Filter

NeilB
30th January 2004, 08:18 AM
I was thinking of sticking a Pipercross replacement air filter into my mini one. Has anyone else put one in already - did it make any difference :question: I already have the cooper exhaust system on the car which gives a nice little rasp, but not a great deal else... oh yes and my MPG sucks big time!!

Gismo
30th January 2004, 08:39 AM
Welcome to NMS, i believe some people have fitted complete aftermarket intake kits that actually gave worse performance than stock, a replacement filter would be a cheaper option but i wouldn't expect any significant increase in power, it would help the engine to breather better though :)
As for you fuel consumption, what are you getting and how hard do you drive it ;)

Duncan Stewart
30th January 2004, 06:22 PM
What MPG are you getting? I get 30 - 35mpg from mine which is what I expected (always knock 10mpg of quoted figure to get a "real world" figure").

NeilB
31st January 2004, 04:52 AM
I am only getting 280 mls out of a tank and that is with the warning light on!!! I am driving like Miss Daisy, mostly motorway at under 3000 revs. NOT GOOD :mad:I know people who seem to be getting more out their coopers and cooper's...

It has been back to the garage twice and has had a new throttle neck sensor fitted but as yet not done enough miles to tell if it has helped.

The pannel filter is only £25 so thought i would give it a try.:D

Steve74
31st January 2004, 09:19 PM
I've been looking into this myself for the MCS. I've read an interesting review on Mini2 - http://www.mini2.com/reviews/review8.html which rates a similar product. My only concern is if it invalidates any part of the warranty.

Wul
31st January 2004, 09:53 PM
NeilB - my guess is if you are only getting that kinda mileage driving a lot of motorway miles without hammering it then there is something more than the air filter causing this! I'd get the dealer to check the fuel injection system and ECU if i was you.

3GGG
1st February 2004, 02:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

NeilB - my guess is if you are only getting that kinda mileage driving a lot of motorway miles without hammering it then there is something more than the air filter causing this! I'd get the dealer to check the fuel injection system and ECU if i was you.

Agree - let the handbrake off Neil!;):)

ELFMAN
1st February 2004, 07:49 AM
I tried the Pipercross Cone Induction kit on my 2001 Cooper (I've since changed to to an 'S'). I found it too noisy and it actually took the edge off the performance. I had it on for two weeks and took it off, replaced the OE setup.... and it ran like a dream. My advice? Leave it alone. I don't think a panel filter's going to give a noticable power gain (if any).

I swapped my Cooper exhaust for a MAGNEX cat-back. It sounded great and drove a bit better too.

If you want to save up for a “worthwhile” difference, you can “chip” the One to give Cooper power (115BHP) for about £270 and to 130BHP for about £470 from various sources. Obviously with TLC/Warranty/Insurance implications.

If your MPG doesn't improve, as Wul said, insist on getting the car checked again as that type of driving shouldn't give such a low MPG. My Cooper gave approx 40MPG on a long run with mixed driving.

Best of luck.