PDA

View Full Version : PS3 & Blu Ray.

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2007, 09:36 AM
Got home from our wee holiday last Friday and straight to work, so only just had time to set the PS3 up properly on the plasma.

In the pack from Toy's R Us I got a copy of The Fugitive on Blu Ray disc. HOLY SH!T. Blu Ray is amazing quality. I've got the PS3 outputting at 1080i, which is the best my plasma will take and the image quality is absolutely stunning. I spent about 30 minutes swapping between our old DVD copy and the new Blu Ray copy of The Fugitive and the difference is really amazing. No colour bleed at all, overlaid titles are crisp and clear and the "grain" in the DVD copy is gone on the Blu Ray copy. Looks like a digitally remastered version - which it isn't.

We also noticed an improvement in the sound. I'm surprised at this, because I thought the main improvement in Blu Ray is picture. It's still outputting 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, and I was under the impression this was a fairly standard compression model. But the bass was definitely deeper, the speech crisper and the background music much clearer.

As for the games, only got a chance to play Motorstorm for about a hour. it's a good game, but it seems to be a bit.... "samey", so I can see that going back to Game for a trade in soon. Gonna have a go with Resistance: Fall of Man" on Thur or Fri.

Anyone considering their next DVD play purchase would be well advised to consider a Blu Ray, or better still a Blu ray/HD DVD combi player - if the budget will stretch.

A.:D

The Dogfather
5th April 2007, 03:33 PM
I'll be getting a HD/Blu ray disc as soon as the dual format machines are released

Gismo
5th April 2007, 03:51 PM
Hmm, Paul, i'm gonna reserve judgement on dual format players until the major magazines review them, currently they are not getting the best of reviews.
As the LG will testify, great idea, but, in reality to make everything work there are drawbacks with loss of this and that, simply, too much technology in a small box

Andy, i'd have been surprised if HD wasn't far better, it can store 5 more times the info on a single disk :p

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2007, 10:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Andy, i'd have been surprised if HD wasn't far better, it can store 5 more times the info on a single disk :p

Alan, do you mean you'd be surprised if HD DVD wasn't better than Blu ray? Or do you mean it's not surprising Blu Ray is better because it can store 5 times more info than a regular DVD?

I'm not at all surprised the image quality is waaaay better. At the end of the day, it's down to much less compression. But I am surprised the audio is better, because I was under the impression Dolby Digital 5.1 is Dolby Digital 5.1, no matter what disc it's sitting on, the compression ratio is the same. You'd think I'd know this, doing what I do. But honestly I don't know for sure. May be talking bollocks, for once.;)

Gismo
5th April 2007, 11:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
do you mean it's not surprising Blu Ray is better because it can store 5 times more info than a regular DVD?Yep, that's what i mean, am interested to hear the sound being better though

Scottie
5th April 2007, 11:24 PM
is the PS thingy out now.??

can you buy we hand held thingies.????? e'hh I mean computer game thingies;):p

AndyP & Lenore
6th April 2007, 08:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

is the PS thingy out now.??

can you buy we hand held thingies.????? e'hh I mean computer game thingies;):p

Eh?

The Playstation 3 is out now Fi. Was released on 23rd March and those who didn't pre-order..... got one anyway. And there still available in most shops. Not sure what you mean by "computer game thingies????"

sh@z
6th April 2007, 08:32 AM
Does she mean a controller?

AndyP & Lenore
6th April 2007, 08:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

Does she mean a controller?

Was thinking that. But wasn't sure. I'm sure Fi will be along in the morning to bring us out the dark.:D

Clare1
6th April 2007, 08:30 PM
We got ourselves an HD DVD Player, which upscales DVDs to 1080i. the picture quality is so much better and the sound is fantastic.

Scottie
7th April 2007, 01:21 AM
I was meaning something like the PSP but using blu ray techno stuff.

AndyP & Lenore
7th April 2007, 04:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

I was meaning something like the PSP but using blu ray techno stuff.

Still not entirely sure what you're talking about Fi. The PSP has been about for about 18 months-ish. It doesn't use Blu Ray, it uses it's own proprietary form of disc called UMD - basically a miniature DVD. But you can connect your PSP to the PS3 by WiFi, which I think enables you to play your PSP games on whatever TV you have your PS3 connected to. Think that is the idea - will need to check.

gill
7th April 2007, 07:09 AM
We bought Jamie a PS3 - lucky lad (I know!!!) - not tried a disc in it yet.

Sounds like it will be worth it when we get one though. At present, we don't have a high-def tv, although it will certainly be the next tv we buy though!

Games look awesome though and Jamie having lots of fun!!! :cool::cool::cool:

zimbo
8th April 2007, 02:05 AM
Mmmm well I'm trying to decide between maybe getting a PS3 or an XBOX 360, it's pretty difficult. So Andy have you experienced the XBOX and if so, which would you recommend?

Gismo
8th April 2007, 02:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by zimbo
Mmmm well I'm trying to decide between maybe getting a PS3 or an XBOX 360, it's pretty difficult. So Andy have you experienced the XBOX and if so, which would you recommend?Don't think any longer, the Xbox 360 has a known fault, mine broke down this week, took it to the delivery agency, they are currently sending back 40 boxes a day :eek:

AndyP & Lenore
8th April 2007, 03:12 AM

Mmmm well I'm trying to decide between maybe getting a PS3 or an XBOX 360, it's pretty difficult. So Andy have you experienced the XBOX and if so, which would you recommend?Don't think any longer, the Xbox 360 has a known fault, mine broke down this week, took it to the delivery agency, they are currently sending back 40 boxes a day :eek:

Trouble is Alan, the PS3 hasn't been out long enough yet - even worldwide - to show up any major faults. How long has the Xbox been out now? 2 Years ish?

Zimbo, I do have a 360 (got it connected to our digital projector in the cinema):D:D. But to be honest, I doubt I've spent more than 20 minutes on it since we got it. Just too busy. Even with the PS3, I've only spent about a couple of hours on it. So to be fair, I can't give a totally objective opinion. I can only compare 2 xbox360 games (project Gotham Racing and Call Of Duty 3) to two PS3 games (Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man). IMHO, the PS3 wins hands down.

Clare1
8th April 2007, 08:34 PM

Zimbo, I do have a 360 (got it connected to our digital projector in the cinema):D:D.

Wikked!! lol

I thought we had a big screen for our Wii :eek:(50'' Sony HD TV), gotta say, yours wins hands down though!!! :p:D

sh@z
8th April 2007, 08:49 PM

Alan, whats the known fault on it? Got myself a 360 a few months back, not had any problems with it as yet though.

Did you get one of the 1st generation 360's, is it the overheating fault?

Gismo
9th April 2007, 03:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@zAlan, whats the known fault on it? Got myself a 360 a few months back, not had any problems with it as yet though.

Did you get one of the 1st generation 360's, is it the overheating fault?
Commonly referred to as the red ring of death, do a search for that anywhere, defo not the power supply problem, i've yet to have that

zimbo
9th April 2007, 04:49 AM
Mmmmm ok thanks for your replies guys. Will prob try get myself a PS3 once I get an HD LCD TV. Cant wait... :D:p

AndyP & Lenore
9th April 2007, 08:44 AM

Mmmmm ok thanks for your replies guys. Will prob try get myself a PS3 once I get an HD LCD TV. Cant wait... :D:p

No no no no no! Not LCD. Go plasma all the way. Just ask: Craig D, Jason Nicol, Neil & Lorna, my dad, my father-in-law, most magazine reviewers, etc., etc. I know Vidal will be along soon to bat in the LCD corner, but purely IMHO, if you're going for anything 36" and above - PLASMA!

Gismo
9th April 2007, 04:35 PM
No no no no no! Not LCD. Go plasma all the way. Just ask: Craig D, Jason Nicol, Neil & Lorna, my dad, my father-in-law, most magazine reviewers, etc., etc.Don't forget me ;)

The Dogfather
9th April 2007, 05:06 PM
Pish, 40" Sony Bravia X or W LCD - Most magazines recon these are better than Plasmas.

Without the screen burn, fade and weight of Plasmas

AndyP & Lenore
9th April 2007, 06:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Pish, 40" Sony Bravia X or W LCD - Most magazines recon these are better than Plasmas.

Without the screen burn, fade and weight of Plasmas

I've yet to see one of these Bravia's set up properly. I've seen a couple in shops connected by coax!:eek::(:( Why they still do this, I'll never know.

I was talking more in general terms and general LCD/Plasma comparisons, rather than specific model reviews.

Fade is only a problem if you plan on keeping you screen for 15 - 20 years, screen burn can be stopped completely by washing the screen for 5 mins at the end of day's viewing, and I wouldn't consider weight an issue anyway - IMHO.

Face it guys, you'll never win this argument.:D;);):cool: