PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

Mini Martyn
29th January 2004, 08:04 PM
Why dont we put money into a kitty every time we go on a mini run to help run the site?

I know that its a hobby but was just wondering what the thoughts were?

minidriver#1
29th January 2004, 08:29 PM
it would make sense. it would then almost be a proper club.

Julz
29th January 2004, 08:39 PM
What a clever idea, never thought it possible from you Martyn!! I'd certainly contrubute!!:cool:

john
29th January 2004, 08:44 PM
I suggested this sometime ago before the site was set up to help pay for stickers etc etc but was not supported.

It makes sense to have a kity for all the stickers plaques and the site costs.:)

Mini Martyn
29th January 2004, 08:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

What a clever idea, never thought it possible from you Martyn!! I'd certainly contrubute!!:cool:

Cheeky!! :p

minidriver#1
29th January 2004, 08:48 PM
pimptastic

Big Col
29th January 2004, 10:26 PM
I'd happily contribute to the site on any NMS run I attend.

Mini Martyn
30th January 2004, 12:11 AM
So are we going to start on th St Andrews run say £5 per car?

Willie M
30th January 2004, 12:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I'd happily sell my car, my worldly belongings and my mum & dad's house to help contribute to the site.
What a guy Col, I knew you had a generous side to you :approve:
Seriously though, good idea (and I do remember John proposing something similar in the dim and disatnt past).

Big Col
30th January 2004, 02:08 AM
Yeah well the fiver would've been out my reach Willie. ;)

duncan
30th January 2004, 04:21 AM
Kinda thought that's what the site sponsor thing was about, especially for those who use it most.

I have no objections to pay for stickers, instructions, and such for the costs at the run.

Gismo
30th January 2004, 04:38 AM
Don't flame me peeps :evil: it is a great idea and i will always gladly contribute at every run i attend, and have also sponsored the site through other means ;)
This site is for everyone and not everyone will attend the runs, so, the same group of people will always sponsor the site and thus give the rest of the community the pleasure of being able to continue to enjoy it.
If that's what it takes to keep the site financially viable then i'd be first in the queue :)

I am not bemoaning people for not sponsoring or who do, as i get great satisfaction from doing my wee bit on the forums and attending as many meets as i can.

I totally agree that the site should be and must be supported by those that use it and collecting monies at our many meetings is a good way to raise much needed cash.
Did i mention that i cannot manage the next run :p

Calum deserves great credit for taking on this site and though i'm sure he would gladly welcome sponsoring in any form, i am a bit wary of people not attending the meetings due to feeling compelled to contribute.

Just my tuppence worth and in no way a gripe of any kind :)

Monsta Mo Mini
30th January 2004, 05:26 AM
With regards to stickers and plates etc. In the past these have been down to the generosity of the various organisers and sponsors. This also means that the costs have to be covered by the same individuals time after time due to the limited number of people willing to take on the responsibility of organising a run. I know Tim made folk pay for the MINI2 Coast to Coast plates and nobody had any objections.

I have no problems with a nominal charge to participate in any events which involve a bit of 'out work' and £5 per car seems a reasonable amount. On an average run (20 cars), this would cover the costs of run plates or stickers (about £60-70) and go towards the petrol expenses of the oraganiser if the route was recced, anything above that would go into the NMS Paypal account. I don't think charging for events would put anyone off. If they're worried about paying £5 it would hopefully cut down on the no-shows as this is real pain in the danglies if you've organised a food stop.

I would like to think everyone who uses the site or attends the events would have no qualms about giving something back in return for a wee momento of MINI adventures to come.

macblob
30th January 2004, 06:19 AM
Fiver sounds fine to me :D

GAJ
30th January 2004, 07:10 AM
Sounds fine to me!

Wul
30th January 2004, 04:48 PM
Sounds fine to me too - if I ever get along to a run! :I

KenL
30th January 2004, 06:12 PM
£5 sounds like a bargain and will gladly pay it.

I'd like to ensure the people who organise the runs get back all their expenses and maybe even bought a wee pressie to thank them for their great efforts if there is surplus cash.

GAJ
30th January 2004, 06:37 PM
It's £5 if you come and £6 if you cannae make it and go to a wedding!;)

Burple
30th January 2004, 06:39 PM
No Objections from me!!

Other clubs etc have been known to charge for runs etc..
Just look at the Clan for example..
A fee is charged every year foro the Thistle run.. Which is always well attended and alot of fun. :D:cool:

Sounds reasonable kids! :cool:

Duncan Stewart
30th January 2004, 08:51 PM
I'm happy to contribute to the running of the site. A few quid at each run seems fair enough. I've never really thought about sponsoring the site - I think I'll go and give that a go now. Mind you no idea what amount people sponsor by.

Tahra
30th January 2004, 08:56 PM
Fine with us too Calum, after it was discussed the last time I was all set for handing over a fiver for the Skye run espec since we got the plates. When it didnt happen forgot to bring it up...!

Duncan Stewart
30th January 2004, 08:57 PM
Well that as easy enough :D. I based my amount on the fact I've done two runs and the amount people suggested here :approve: . Does this mean I'll get a "sponsor" tag? - ooo exciting ;)

Linda M
30th January 2004, 10:14 PM
I'm always for supporting Calum and the NMS site. I feel that more money 'has' to be contributed in some form to keep the site going, how exactly to do it I'm not that sure but I do think the best way is through site sponsorship.

Just a thought would maybe be that once someone's posts reach a certain amount they then have to become a sponsor in order to keep posting but this may be a bit of a hassle setting up, it's just an idea.

There is something I'd like to make clear about 'runs'.....last year before the Perthshire cruise I had 2 very long drawn out chats with Tayside Police about the 'run' and for a day it looked like we were going to have to cancel it.

The law states that as long as we are just a group of MINI fanatics meeting up to go for a drive there are no problems HOWEVER using the word 'Club' and paying for memberships (I know that's not what's being proposed here) would put us in with the likes of The Clan who have to pay 'hefty' insurances to cover their runs. These sort of things are always a worry for run organisers, I know that Willie and I are always relieved when a run is finished.

I'm not sure how handing over money on a run day would sit with the law if there was an accident :question:

ELFMAN
30th January 2004, 10:37 PM
This is a coincidence. I was just thinking about sponsorship and how I should put something back into the club for the enjoyment I get from the site, attending the runs and seeing all the folks and their cars, so this is a timely topic.

I think £5.00/car (or whatever is deemed appropriate) per run is perfectly acceptable. For the cost of a couple or so pints you'd get a great day out and the guys/girls who do the leg (or wheel) work to organise things would be reimbursed for their expenses which is only fair. Anything left over would be handy for expenses/plaques/stickers etc for future runs.

On a more sober note, when money's being dealt with, whether through Fees or Contributions per run, there should always be checks and balances and an element of “transparency”, which I'm sure there will be. Then everyone can see what's happening.

Twenty years in the voluntary sector have made me aware of this, as there can be problems over even the smallest amounts of cash if things aren't monitored properly. No suggestion WHATSOEVER that this would happen, but it's something you have to keep in mind when money is more “formally” involved. We don't need an accountant, just perhaps a modification to the existing sponsorship system.

On the whole, I think a more formal contribution would be a fairer way of doing things, and would benefit the club.

ELFMAN
30th January 2004, 10:56 PM
Just a PS.
SORRY LINDA, I skipped a page before I posted my reply (NUMPTY).

Wasn't aware of the “Club/Insurance” conundrum, which obviously complicates things. Sorry if my bit above seems out of touch! We therefore have to be very careful, especially as some of the runs are getting pretty big. I joked early on on the “meets” forum about the Police attitude in St. Andrews, but as the club becomes more and more popular, we may well have to make sure we're covered properly for all eventualities. Nearly thirty MINIS turning up somewhere may ruffle official feathers in some areas, and while I'd hate to lose the informality we have, I'd also hate us to be classed as a “gang” who bypass the rules totally. It's not fair for organisers such as yourself who have to worry about accidents etc if we really should be covered by some form of insurance.

This “problem” will have to be tackled as numbers increase and it may be something we simply can't avoid.

sh@z
31st January 2004, 03:50 AM
yeah im all for paying some sort of fee .. .afterall you cant put a price on what this site has given us all :).

And Wul should pay for he says he's going to a run, then pay again when he cancels (cancellation fee) that way we MIGHT see him on a run sometime in the future :p

Linda M
31st January 2004, 08:37 PM
You hit the nail on the head ELFMAN !! I think decisions will need to be made in the future with regards to runs as they do seem to be growing. I know it seems extreme but it would take a whole load of worry away from run organisers. The thought of being up in court one day due to an accident is 'very' scary. Sorry for the doom and gloom but it's the day and age we live in.

Wul
31st January 2004, 09:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z
And Wul should pay for he says he's going to a run, then pay again when he cancels (cancellation fee) that way we MIGHT see him on a run sometime in the future :p

Oh - so it's gonna be like that is Sh@z!:blackeye::evil:

I'm off to get all my posts in the meets forums deleted!;):p:D

Wul
31st January 2004, 10:01 PM
Oh and by the way Sh@z - i noticed your Name says "Big Tumshie" below it and not "Sponsor"

No pressure though!

Ahem! nudge nudge wink wink!;):D

seany
31st January 2004, 11:36 PM
now now kids

Wul
1st February 2004, 04:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by seany

now now kids

:pTee Hee!:p;):D

Gismo
1st February 2004, 04:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul
I'm off to get all my posts in the meets forums deleted!;):p:DSince you asked i did it for ya :eek:

Wul
2nd February 2004, 05:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by Wul
I'm off to get all my posts in the meets forums deleted!;):p:DSince you asked i did it for ya :eek:

Cheers BS - now my status as an apparition sp?) has been fully restored!:p;):clown: