PDA

View Full Version : Peanut butter for the black bits

vintageb3
4th April 2007, 06:36 AM
I finally got a chance to try groundnut oil (peanut oil) on my black bits to remove some white deposits (wax)

I didn't know what damage it would do to the wax on my paintwork...so I used a paint brush and cut carefully to the edge of the plastic. Simply poured right out of the bottle on to the bristles. It turns out that it doesn't seem to harm the wax on the paintwork but does lift it right off the plastic...so next time I won't need to be so careful. After you get the oil on...simply wipe in with a lint free cloth.

TIP: Don't close the door on your oiled cill...it will contaminate the rubber underneath your door.

I left the oil on for a wee while...then wiped it off with a rag and white vinegar. I think its a good idea to leave on for a while...I didn't have too much time tonight.

Then I used hot water and a strong washing-up liquid solution to wash the plastic/paintwork. Quickly rinse the paintwork so that the washing up liquid doesn't take your wax off.

I think the oil feeds the plastic in some way...looks great...

Ready for some Meguiers Trim stuff now...

So lager the Peanut Oil on....it comes off easy enough...

Tesco's Groundnut Oil £0.68 for 500ml

Used hardly any out of the bottle...

mark

The Dogfather
4th April 2007, 03:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by vintageb3

So lager the Peanut Oil on....it comes off easy enough...

So you used beer and nut oil :question: Man I'm confused, just as well both of my cars are colour coded ;)

Burple
4th April 2007, 07:48 PM
Ditto all of the above. It works a treat! :cool:

berty
17th June 2007, 12:20 PM
Ditto all of the above. It works a treat! :cool:

Well ive found something else that really work on getting rid of polish marks & that is a pencil eraser. It brings it off a treat.

vintageb3
17th June 2007, 03:01 PM
Well ive found something else that really work on getting rid of polish marks & that is a pencil eraser. It brings it off a treat.

Yeah that should work!...We use erasers to finish off silicone work too;)

mark

Sweeney
17th June 2007, 03:06 PM
I just give mine a good scrub, good wipe with an all purpose cleaner does the trick too, then a wee spray of black in a flash/back to black etc and bobs yer uncle :p But in saying that i haven't had any wax on them for ages as i actually watch what im doing unlike some it appears ;) (:D:D)

euan
17th June 2007, 04:16 PM
So glad my new motor has no black bits to worry about!

CoNs
9th October 2007, 11:30 AM
cheers for this topic

my girl has a Corsa and her bumpers were a mess, i tried everything

painting back to black on it about 10x didnt do nothing

on saturday i went up to Tesco, bought some bacon and rolls :Dand erm.. Groundnut oil.. just as stated, 68p for 500ml

got home ate my bacon and proceeded to clean her car

AB Foamlanced the full car and scrubbed her bumpers and arches

dried the car, got a paintbrush and proceeded to paint her bumpers with the groundnut oil.. whole car took about 20mins

then quickly went over it again..

AB foamlanced car once again and gave the bumpers a good scrub, dried it again and toweled her bumpers, i sprayed bumper shine on the arches and bumpers and stepped bk to admire the result

truly amazing for 68p.. my girl thinks so aswell, after she looked at me weird ly when she thought i was putting sunflower oil on her car

wish i took pictures but my camera was dead :eek:

vintageb3
9th October 2007, 05:34 PM
YOU GOT IT CHEAPER THAN ME!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh...sorry...for the outburst...I am a Fifer after all:D

Glad it worked for you!

mark