PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media

monkimagic
4th April 2007, 04:56 AM
Wee bit of advice. Been looking to upgrade from sky to Sky+ for awhile but then came across Virgin media... has anyone had any dealings with them. I remember a post awhile back but need a refresher.

What is the package like, customer service etc...

Cheers

Monki

sedgie
4th April 2007, 05:20 AM
Soz only have sky + which i think is great!....can pause my soaps:I;)

scottymc
4th April 2007, 07:20 AM
i think at the min theres a big prob with them, they didn't manage to close there deal with sky and have thus lost all sky channels, sky 1 ,etc.

euan
4th April 2007, 04:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by scottymc

i think at the min theres a big prob with them, they didn't manage to close there deal with sky and have thus lost all sky channels, sky 1 ,etc.

That's only a problem if you want the sky channels. You can still get movies and sky sports. The big loss is Sky One.

I think if I were you I'd maybe sit it out for a month or two until the whole Virgin Media thing settles down. They do great packages with phone and broadband, and the OnDemand stuff is apparently very good, but I'd maybe wait and see what happens with the Sky channels before spending my hard earned cash.

Burple
4th April 2007, 05:52 PM
As Euan says.. the OnDemand stuff is really good.. when it works! :mad:
about 50% of the time (at the moment anyway, and since Virgin took over telewest) ours seems to crash out a lot, saysing the service isn't available. Dunno if that's just due to an overload on the system or what, but it's frustrating.

On the other hand, the things we've bene watching recently on it are Red Dwarf season 1 and 2, Green Wing (both series), a lot of Derren Brown, some oldies of The Adam and Joe show :D

Their 'Catch Up TV' is pretty good too. Mostly BBC, Living TV and Channel 4 / E4. about 5 mins after a programme has been on, it's available to watch again with pause, FF etc, for about a week.

They did some work on their BB recently (in our area anyway) and made it even better. It's been pretty faultless.

Their customer service has always been good too. My box broke a couple of months back, there was a guy here 2 days later to replace it, no faffing about trying to sort it.

The only down side is as mention a sudden lack of Sky One. That's the biggest reason I think for us considering switching over. Ineed my Simpsons and Futurama fix! Not to mentionthe rage at having missed loads of Lost now!:mad:

We're about to move out into the sticks, and unfortunately their cable hasn't reached into the wilderness, so we're considering switching the other way. The way I figure it, with the new Sky mixes, we'd get a lot more channels, and Sky movies, for only about £6 a month more. But then, I'd have to get a BT line for Sky (or any) Broadband. hmmm.
anybody any experience of Sky Broadband?

monkimagic
4th April 2007, 05:59 PM
Cheers guys. Sky one....as much as it pains me to say it, they have me over a barrel because with no Simpson...no harmony :(

Burple
4th April 2007, 06:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic

Cheers guys. Sky one....as much as it pains me to say it, they have me over a barrel because with no Simpson...no harmony :(

I know :(:(:(

there's only so much bloody Hollyoaks I can stand. NONE!!! :mad::disapprove::disapprove:

euan
4th April 2007, 06:55 PM
Just another thought for you.

I had this dilema a while ago when we bought our place in London - get Sky, Telewest or Freeview - we went with Freeview and don't actually miss any of the other channels. It's annoying not getting to see Lost etc when they are on, but I can live with that and save myself 50 quid a month. Amazingly, don't miss any of it (which I thought I would).

If the football is on, I made a deal with the missus that we go to the pub if none of my mates are about. As for films, we rent DVD's, go to the cinema or whatever.

Over the course of the year, (can you tell I'm from Aberdeen?) saves me a fortune! But then, maybe I don't watch as much TV as some of the others on here. I would love Sky+ but I really cannot justify the cost and I'd just end up watching rubbish.

Just a thought...

stoney
4th April 2007, 07:15 PM
well the virgin tv drive box is far better than the sky + box

with the virgin box u can rec 2 diff chanles at the same time while still whachin a 3rd

u still get 2 see what u had on the tv when u go in 2 the tv gide (by this i meen a samll box at top right hand side of the screan wich the chanle u had on will still be up

and as outhers have said the tv replay and on demand are very good !!!

i get my phone broad band and tv for just 45 bucks a month

Wul
4th April 2007, 07:28 PM
Or do as i did - downgraded the VM package to the basic one which is free but still has teleport tv etc and then got Sky+ for the same cost as i was paying VM. Stone - you can still tape 2 and wacht a 3rd on Sky+ too!

euan
4th April 2007, 07:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Or do as i did - downgraded the VM package to the basic one which is free but still has teleport tv etc and then got Sky+ for the same cost as i was paying VM. Stone - you can still tape 2 and wacht a 3rd on Sky+ too!

Do you have space in your lounge for furniture with all that round your tele? ;)

sh@z
4th April 2007, 09:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

As Euan says.. the OnDemand stuff is really good.. when it works! :mad:
about 50% of the time (at the moment anyway, and since Virgin took over telewest) ours seems to crash out a lot, saysing the service isn't available. Dunno if that's just due to an overload on the system or what, but it's frustrating.

On the other hand, the things we've bene watching recently on it are Red Dwarf season 1 and 2, Green Wing (both series), a lot of Derren Brown, some oldies of The Adam and Joe show :D

Their 'Catch Up TV' is pretty good too. Mostly BBC, Living TV and Channel 4 / E4. about 5 mins after a programme has been on, it's available to watch again with pause, FF etc, for about a week.

They did some work on their BB recently (in our area anyway) and made it even better. It's been pretty faultless.

Their customer service has always been good too. My box broke a couple of months back, there was a guy here 2 days later to replace it, no faffing about trying to sort it.

The only down side is as mention a sudden lack of Sky One. That's the biggest reason I think for us considering switching over. Ineed my Simpsons and Futurama fix! Not to mentionthe rage at having missed loads of Lost now!:mad:

We're about to move out into the sticks, and unfortunately their cable hasn't reached into the wilderness, so we're considering switching the other way. The way I figure it, with the new Sky mixes, we'd get a lot more channels, and Sky movies, for only about £6 a month more. But then, I'd have to get a BT line for Sky (or any) Broadband. hmmm.
anybody any experience of Sky Broadband?

Ewan, whatever you do don't get BT broadband, or Orange. Dunno about Sky.

Burple
4th April 2007, 10:34 PM
quote:

Good stuff. I certainly wasn't planning on going near BT. An ex-colleague of mine is having a terrible time with them. So far it's ended up with her explaining in great detail EXACTLY where the problem is, and WHAT it is, to some monkey on a helpdesk who has no clue..

At the very least, I'll stick with Virgin, tho it'll have to be thru a BT line cos of where we're moving to.

sh@z
5th April 2007, 12:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:

Good stuff. I certainly wasn't planning on going near BT. An ex-colleague of mine is having a terrible time with them. So far it's ended up with her explaining in great detail EXACTLY where the problem is, and WHAT it is, to some monkey on a helpdesk who has no clue..

At the very least, I'll stick with Virgin, tho it'll have to be thru a BT line cos of where we're moving to.

Aye i love my Virgin 10mbit internet :D

Got BT Business 8 mbit broadband in the office and bloody hell its kack, get nowhere near 2mbit speeds most of the time, let alone 8mbit, and random disconnects, etc etc :\

Burple
5th April 2007, 01:06 AM
quote:

Got BT Business 8 mbit broadband in the office and bloody hell its kack, get nowhere near 2mbit speeds most of the time, let alone 8mbit, and random disconnects, etc etc :

That's a shocker! I hope Sky or Virgin will be ok over the BT line :blackeye::dead:

It might be an old line too, which means any DL / UL speeds will be pish too :( I'll be lucky to GET 2Mbit!!

euan
5th April 2007, 01:10 AM
Just be glad you get 2Mbit - my work pays mine and it's a poor 512! But at least it's free :) and it's fine for most of my needs.

The Dogfather
5th April 2007, 01:13 AM
I'm with eclipse for broadband they've been really good. The phone was off for two days yet I could still connect to the internet, weird!

monkimagic
5th April 2007, 03:46 AM
I was with Eclipse for years, they were great but got steep while still having to pay BT. then Talk Talk came along, 20 quid flat for my phone and broadband 4mb, and no BT line rental.

Talk Talk have been great. not been down yet and I am nearly a year up.:)

vintageb3
5th April 2007, 04:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

I'm with eclipse for broadband they've been really good. The phone was off for two days yet I could still connect to the internet, weird!

Your phone goes on holiday!!!!...You are posh!:clown:

mark