PDA

View Full Version : MINI ONE Long Term Test - AutoExpress

Monsta Mo Mini
28th March 2003, 02:06 AM
BMW MINI One
------------------
As a rule, modern remakes of old classics are flops. Take that bastion of British TV comedy, Fawlty Towers, for example. At the height of the show's success in the Seventies, US networks were interested in developing a Stateside version.

But having bought the scripts and agreed the licensing, they decided that one character was surplus and deleted him from the final rewrite. The casualty? Basil Fawlty. Unsurprisingly, the pilot show bombed and the series was canned.

Although motoring remakes have fared a little better over the years - think Volkswagen's Beetle - borrowing from the past can still be a risk for designers. The MINI, however, is an object lesson in how to do it properly. Even now, two years after its launch, it still turns heads.

While the Cooper S has stolen the limelight recently, the car, in all its forms, continues to enchant. Which is one of the reasons why we'll be running an entry-level MINI One over the next six months. After all, if a car is great in basic form, it's usually a hint to quality further up the range. Early impressions suggest that our tenure is going to fly past. Our car arrived with a little more than 2,000 miles on the clock, and we're well on the way to sticking another 1,000 on top of that. In terms of looks, our MINI is an unusual combination. I haven't seen many other takers for what the manufacturer optimistically describes as Velvet red - while even fewer have chosen to combine it with 17-inch wheels. However, having learned to drive in a mud-brown 1972 Mini with tiny 10-inch alloys, the feeling of déjÃ*-vu is overwhelming.

When it comes to driving, the One is perfect for the urban commute. I've heard some bemoan the lack of power, but having been a Mini owner most of my adult life, I can't say it's a problem. After all, if 80bhp was enough for Paddy Hopkirk to win the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally, the 90bhp of our One should be more than adequate. The suspension has also impressed us with its sophistication. Although the big alloys have taken the edge off the comfortable ride, the steering is sharp, while the balance in bends is wonderful.

I've also been pleasantly surprised with the cabin, which has two welcome additions over the early versions of the car. The first is a glovebox, which means - at last - valuables can be tucked away out of sight, while the second is a new tilt/fold lever for the passenger seat. The old one was a nightmare and never worked the same way twice. Moans? Well, apart from the usual steering motor whine (it affects all MINIs and is harmless), there's a rumble from the rear wheelarches that I'll be keeping an ear on. It sounds as though it's coming from the tops of the dampers and may have something to do with the alloys, which seem a very tight fit. If any reader is experiencing something similar with these wheels, let me know.

We'll be putting the MINI to the test in all manner of ways. Our car - unlike some - will have to work for its living, shifting not only the family, but all the stuff that goes with them. Will the MINI prove to be a trendy style icon and practical transport? It's certainly going to be fun finding out.

- Lesley Harris

Fontal
28th March 2003, 02:33 AM
18 Months on for me and the One has proved faultless (apart from the crash but that was nothing to do with the car), It has been used daily for the commute to work and the 60 mile run to the shops, My One now has around 17000 miles on the clock and has loosened up perfectly so there is no problem with the 90 bhp (nothing to do with the extra's ;);)), If I remember correctly I was able to keep up with the coopers on the first Scotish MINI run (through MINI2.com).

ONE very pleased ONE owner (Excuse the punn)
Fontal (Richard):D:D:D:D

KenL
23rd April 2003, 07:30 PM
Apart from the odd rattle, buzz from the doors and like the car AE have, strange noises from the rear (fingers-crossed) now fixed I'm really chuffed with my ONE too.

It definately feels a lot quicker than the 90bhp which is the official number from MINI. A lot of people putting their car in for a Superchips upgrade have found fron RR tests that the actual power is more like 100 or slightly more. I suspect they've underquoted to keep the insurance group down to only group 5.

I thought my wee car kept up pretty well on the recent run too.

KenL

Linda M
23rd April 2003, 08:58 PM
COOL write up :cool: I had a MINI ONE for a day when Daisy was in getting stuff fitted and I 'really' like it :D