PDA

View Full Version : Noisey Gearbox Problem

Ivano
30th March 2007, 04:31 PM
I was in getting my Coilovers adjusted at KBM in Hillington yesterday and they noticed a problem when out road testing.... The noise is coming from the gearbox. They put it up on the ramp to inspect but not to touch and ran the car through the gears and a hoorible noise can be heard. It is particularly bad in both 3rd and 4th gear when you you take your foot on and off the throttle. They said the gearbox should make some noise but nothing like the way it is evident on my car.

Because the car is still under warranty i have booked the car into Fairbairn's to look at. I just hope that whatever the problem is the warranty will cover as i believe gearboxes and their elements can be fairly costly......

Anybody else experienced gearbox issues??? My Car is only a 2005 model.

Ivano
2nd April 2007, 09:39 PM
Has nobody experienced gear box problems then????

KenL
2nd April 2007, 09:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Ivano

Maybe not on here, but i bet if you look on MINI2 you will find some.

Ivano
2nd April 2007, 09:43 PM
Cool, i will try that. It is so annoying i seem to be running into lots of problems with this MINI.

quote:Originally posted by KenL

quote:Originally posted by Ivano

Maybe not on here, but i bet if you look on MINI2 you will find some.

john
2nd April 2007, 10:13 PM
The gearbox is the weakest link in the mini!!

Mark R
3rd April 2007, 01:37 AM
I had problems with mine not going into first but got it fixed under warranty, nothing noise related though.

P33 ULC
3rd April 2007, 03:01 AM
Mine rattled at idle. Took it into fairbairns as my mate Carlos the warranty controller. They fixed it by replacing the gearbox (took 2 days) 6 month on its there again! Lol. Just at idle it happens though. Sounds like the release bearing or thrust bearing

Ivano
3rd April 2007, 04:24 PM
Car is booked in today to get checked out.... So i will just need to wait and see..

Moonshine
3rd April 2007, 05:03 PM
If your car is a pre june(ish) 2003 cooper or One, with a midlands 5 speed gear box , then it might be the bearings going - if so, and you are out of warranty, get in touch and i'll chat. if it is not, then i can't help.....

GErry

Moonshine
3rd April 2007, 05:04 PM
oops, just read you have a 2005 model....so i won't be able to help...

G

Gorbash12346
4th April 2007, 07:03 AM
the gearboxes have been nothing but a pain in the *** since the mini came out.. though now the new gearbox types seem to be holding up

duncan
4th April 2007, 07:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gorbash12346

the new gearbox types seem to be holding up

Is that the 5 speed Getrag unit in the R50, or is that the all new R56 unit?