PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Off-Road Registration Law

Big Gordy
26th March 2007, 08:27 PM
I know some of my fellow mini owners are bikers so I thought I'd bring this latest government brainwave to your attention:mad:

I quote:

"THE motorcycle off-road movement in its entirety is gearing-up to fight an outrageous piece of legislation which has the aim of seeing every single motorcycle, regardless of its intended use and including competition bikes, fully road-legal and road-registered! Under current law this would mean that they must all comply with the same rules as road-bikes and carry an identifying legal number plate at all times!

The proposed new law has been tabled by Labour MP Graham Stringer as a heavy-handed and seemingly ill-conceived means of combatting the illegal use of urban teenage tearaways who terrorise people and cause nuisance, usually on cheap Chinese-sourced mini-bikes - but does not try to distinguish between those machines and other types of non road-going vehicles, including competition machines used in a purely legal and organised off-road environment.

The proposed law, known as The Off Road Vehicles (Registration) Bill, has amazingly already succeeded in passing through a second reading in the House of Commons and could become law in some form. The question is, how many ammendments (if any) can the Government be persuaded to include to safeguard the future of off-road sport?

So make your protest by clicking on the link below and sign the on-line petiton NOW!"

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/mini-motos

If this law is passed it would cost me in excess of 500 quid to get my 3 off roaders to comply ie 3x MOT, 3x Road tax (although 2 may be exempt) plus any fees I would have to pay to actually register them with the DVLA:(
They always start with the bikers but who's next:question: All forms of motorsport could be effected....F1,touring cars,go carts, GT's...etc

Thanks in advance guys;) :p:D:approve:

Big Col
26th March 2007, 08:30 PM
Oooh an online petition! That'll stop them in their tracks...

Big Gordy
26th March 2007, 08:40 PM
Hey:mad: Its a start :p:D:approve:

euan
26th March 2007, 09:06 PM
The guy who proposed this has himself said it needs to be looked at as it was a bit rushed and ill thought out - they didn't consider motorsport it was look at mini-motos and kids riding them illegally.

Burple
27th March 2007, 12:14 AM
<Cof> (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11357) ;):p:p:D

euan
27th March 2007, 12:32 AM
I knew I'd read it somewhere ;)

rpn
27th March 2007, 06:31 AM
I wonder does the MP in question really think this legislation WILL stop those low lives scam causing nuisance. I DON’T think so. :mad:

This law if passed could means that Valentino Rossi’s Yamaha M1 MotoGP bike has to be road legal too!!! Don’t make me laugh. :p :p

Wul
27th March 2007, 05:09 PM
Imagine the fastest lap times would all remain un-broken due to the increased wind resistance from the number plate on the back of a MotoGP bike! :p