PDA

View Full Version : cracked bumper

s1mon
22nd March 2007, 04:14 AM
My fiancee got hit by a twat in a taxi last week and it cracked the front bumper and ripped the numberplate and mount off. John Clark in Dundee have quoted for a new bumper at almost £600 fitted. It's a non fault accident and we have a witness so we can just put it through the insurance but I was considering trying to find a bumper on ebay or somewhere and repairing it that way. That would mean we wouldn't have to claim, assuming the 3rd party were willing to pay for it of course.

Any suggestions?

ianking
22nd March 2007, 04:30 AM
£600 fitted seems like a real lot of money. Surely John Clarks are having a laugh...

s1mon
22nd March 2007, 04:43 AM
Probably but then if it's through the insurance I don't really care what it costs.
Just been thoroughly pi**ed off by the person who hit her. He gave her his name, address and phone number and when I spoke to him last week, asked me to call him back once I had an estimate. Now, whenever I phone he's either not in or the phone gets picked up and put down again immediately! :mad:
So it's going through the insurance, just glad we have a witness who was kind enough to stop.

ianking
22nd March 2007, 04:45 AM
Why not go and tell the police, they will then go and pay the person a visit.

s1mon
22nd March 2007, 04:55 AM
Her dad is in the police so has been giving us advice. The guy has actually followed the law correctly and because nobody was injured, there's nothing the police can do. It's just a pain in the ar$e!!! :(

mini saltire
22nd March 2007, 04:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

Yup, I'd be calling the rozzers as well. Sounds like they are trying to wriggle out of it.

Just to let you know, I buy stuff on ebay all the time for my race car as we tend to go through a couple of bumpers a season:I. I usually pick up front bumpers for around £70. Get a local bodyshop to paint them as John Clarks like any BMW dealer are £97 an hour, thats more than a good lawyer!!;) Should be done and dusted for around £170. Let me know if you are struggling to find a bumper as I have a good couple of contacts that would help out.

vintageb3
22nd March 2007, 05:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

The police won't be interested Ian. I had to give up recently on a claim against a bus company that tore off my van door mirror. Only witness I had to the bus company admitting responsibility was the police officer that followed up my compliant. Four weeks after the incident the bus company denied liability to my insurance company, I called the police officer and asked him for a statement...he refused. He said the police no longer get invloved with non injury accidents.

I dropped the claim...waste of time.

mark