PDA

View Full Version : Mini Tyres

Quik_Mini
27th January 2004, 09:23 PM
Has anyone had any probs with the run flats. One went yesterday so I thought ha no problems can still drive to Glasgow on it and get it to Henry Bros, got onto the main road and the car was sliding about everywhere. So I thought lets take it to quick fit, got there and they told me that they are not allowed to touch the mini tyres. I then had to get Mini A&E to come out with a low loader and take my car away, all for a flat tyre, a bit OTT me thinks. Had to miss work all day, not like I am complaining but missed important meeting and stuff.

Anyone else had any problems

Monsta Mo Mini
27th January 2004, 10:01 PM
A couple of months back I had to replace both my front 17" pirelli run flats. BMW quoted me £230 per tyre!!!!!! Kwik-fit did them both fitted for £160. It seems to varey from branch to branch so it 's worth phoning about first. I've also had a couple of punctures on the rear wheels, both of which were fixed by BMW at £15 per tyre. The tyres themselves performed well even when deflated.

seany
27th January 2004, 11:22 PM
i had to get 2 new tyres, went to kwit-fit £180 fitted each.

KenL
27th January 2004, 11:52 PM
£180 each - fekk me.

For those with runflats. www.mytyres.net have the following:

Dunlop SP SPORT 3000 DSST 195/55 R16 87V £72.70 each
Dunlop SP SPORT 9000 DSST 205/45 R17 84V £83.10 each

You get the tyres mail order and have them fitted at tyre centres they recommend at £11/tyres.

KenL
27th January 2004, 11:55 PM
Although I don't have runflats I've emailed their authorised fitter in Edinburgh to check that they can do runflats.

I'll post when I get a reply.

seany
28th January 2004, 01:25 AM
thank Kenl, do that next time

Duncan Stewart
28th January 2004, 09:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

You get the tyres mail order and have them fitted at tyre centres they recommend at £11/tyres.

Kwik fit charge £7.99 per tyre fitted and balanced. The did my new alloys for this and left no marks on them.

euan
28th January 2004, 10:53 PM
When JC in Aberdeen fitted my brothers alloys they bashed the hell out of them. They did fix it at their own expense, but he was without car for a week while the wheel was repaired. He then got the car back, bloke was all pleased saying - look, hasn't it come up well? At which point my brother pointed out they had done the wrong wheel. Another week later and it was all fixed, but I'm going to be VERY wary as to who changes my tyres.

Mini Martyn
29th January 2004, 06:54 PM
I got a freind who fitted my 2 new front tyres at Halfrauds for £4.00 fitted and balanced!! Its not what you know!!?? :D

KenL
30th January 2004, 05:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Although I don't have runflats I've emailed their authorised fitter in Edinburgh to check that they can do runflats.

I'll post when I get a reply.

Well the authorised fitter in Edi for mytyres cannot fit run runflats. Suggested ATS or Kwikfit.

GAJ
30th January 2004, 06:22 PM
Runflats fit in the same way as ordinary tyres EXCEPT for the fact that the sidewalls are much less flexible and require much more effort to prise from the rim. Kwikfit don't know whether they can fit runflats or not, it depemds who you speak to!

I had a puncture a while back and nobody in Edinburgh had 16" Goodyear runflats in stock so I had the tyre patched while I waited for the tyre I had ordered. It was the week I bought the car so I kept a close eye on the guy removing the tyre and he managed to remove it without causing any damage to the rim, although it wes clearly a struggle. This was at National and they have no specific runflat equipment.

I was talking to the guy and he said that other thn a slightly bigger flange and the toughened walls the runflats are no different to standard tyres. He seemed like a good lad and I didn't bother keeping such a close eye on him when I had the new tyre fitted and a few day's later I noticed a scratch on the rim, probably caused when he removed the tyre! B@$t@rd didnae say thing!!