PDA

View Full Version : One for the Commodore fan boys..

Burple
20th March 2007, 01:22 AM
I suppose one of these Commodores (http://www.commodoregaming.com/pcshop/Home.aspx) would be alright..

Still recon my ol' 48k Speccy could have it tho ;):p:D

AndyP & Lenore
20th March 2007, 01:37 AM
Ultimately though, that's just a PC in a fancy coat.

"Preloaded with a C64 Emulator and 50 games".... Hmmmmmmm:approve::approve::approve: Perhaps if I wasn't picking up a PS3 on Friday morning though.;)

A.:D

euan
20th March 2007, 02:27 AM
Andy are you really getting one on Friday? I thought about it but realised I'd have just as much with a Wii so will wait for it to come down to a more realistic level.

Actually, I bought Bomberman for my DS and have been lost in that for days!

That Commodore is very cool though, the graphics are a nice touch.

AndyP & Lenore
20th March 2007, 02:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Andy are you really getting one on Friday? ....

Aye.:approve: Deposit all paid and will be picking it up on Friday morning sometime. I'm so nuts to go down at 00.01 in the morning though. That's if they are even opening up at that time.

minidriver#1
20th March 2007, 06:33 AM
The price of the PS3 is going down at the end of the year and believe me it'll be worth waiting. Have you seen the launch lineup? Most of the PS exclusives are now on the 360. Shops are still taking pre-orders, thats not a good sign... that means that if they are still taking pre-orders the rest of the week you'll pretty much be guaranteed to get your hands on one come launch day. Also the Euro PS3's will play just 1000 of the PS2 archive, compared to the Asian and US PS3 which plays just over 8,500 games in the PS2 archive, so ultimately you're paying more than your US and Asian customer and getting a lesser machine... no wonder Sony are making such huge losses if they keep treating their Euro customers like that.

As for Commodore, it's an entirely different company that bought the rights to the name. Still, some of those machines look like beasts, i'd love a case with the graffiti designs.

AndyP & Lenore
20th March 2007, 06:42 AM
KJ, Playstation exclusivity doesn't bother me. Nor does access to the back stock of PS2 games, to be honest. I doubt I'll buy any. Will just be sticking to PS3 games. But I can see the frustration it may cause some PS2 owners.

I think the lack of pre-orders is probably down to the cost. It is a very expensive machine. And I saw a report in a magazine the other day that states that even at the price £425, Sony are making a loss per unit of about £60 at first. They are relying on the game sales percentages to generate their income.

As for the Commodore's, this isn't the first PC relaunch attempt. They tried it about 3 or 4 years ago. They were just standard PC's mind you, not the games hungry beasts in L-n-L's post. Commodore's downfall in the 1990's was mainly put down to their marketing screw-ups. it was once said that if the marketing department of Commodore got hold of Kentucky Fried Chicken, they'd have called it "Warm Dead Bird":eek::D

euan
24th March 2007, 12:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

KJ, Playstation exclusivity doesn't bother me. Nor does access to the back stock of PS2 games, to be honest. I doubt I'll buy any. Will just be sticking to PS3 games. But I can see the frustration it may cause some PS2 owners.

I think the lack of pre-orders is probably down to the cost. It is a very expensive machine. And I saw a report in a magazine the other day that states that even at the price £425, Sony are making a loss per unit of about £60 at first. They are relying on the game sales percentages to generate their income.

As for the Commodore's, this isn't the first PC relaunch attempt. They tried it about 3 or 4 years ago. They were just standard PC's mind you, not the games hungry beasts in L-n-L's post. Commodore's downfall in the 1990's was mainly put down to their marketing screw-ups. it was once said that if the marketing department of Commodore got hold of Kentucky Fried Chicken, they'd have called it "Warm Dead Bird":eek::D

So, what's it like then????

Burple
24th March 2007, 12:44 AM
Ya.. what's it like?
Did you get a treat lke this?

BBC Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6482789.stm)

I think if I'd waited in line anywhere else for that amount of time and then found this out, I'd be pretty pi$$ed Off!
There would be some furious letter writing to Sony and Virgin! ;):D

duncan
24th March 2007, 12:56 AM
Damn straight. 100 give aways in London - typical. Britain dosen't exist past the M25, yet again.

AndyP & Lenore
24th March 2007, 02:11 AM
It's actually pretty cool.:approve: We're away in our caravan just now so I can only connect it to our 14" portable TV using a composite cable into the back of a scart plug, which is a bit like buying a Rolls Royce and putting a C60 tape player in it.

But the Sixaxis controller works pretty well. Controlling the vehicles on Motorstorm is really easy. But it didn't seem to work with Resistance: Fall of Man. Will need to have a looky at that when I get home.

Have to say, Edinburgh is a tad different on launch.... No queue's anywhere. There may have been at midnight but I'm not that sad. Saw an advert in the papers today for a much better deal at Toy's R Us so went there and bought it from them, then went to GAME to get my deposit back - happy days!

Looking forward to getting home and hook it up to my plasma.;)