PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Car 'Updates'?

-Sy-
19th March 2007, 09:00 PM
Again ask another question! :D
My (And prob everyone elses?) passenger window will go down with a flick of the switch but you have to hold it all the way back up. This seams a bit silly to me and was wondering if the dealer can update an issue like this?.

I remember when my dad got his 1 series on launch day that a year later they got it back in to update a few things like the doors locking when driving away.

To Mini offer an update like this for the windows and other things?

Sy

AeroJonny
19th March 2007, 09:46 PM
that's one thing that MINI can't do for you. Try www.newministuff.co.uk where you can get a module that will do the job.

In fact, you can find the exact item here! http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=232

-Sy-
19th March 2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks Jonny. Seams a bit costly just for a minor problem so will prob skip it. Thanks for the links

Sy

rpn
19th March 2007, 10:05 PM
I wonder is that (holding the switch for closing) something to do with safety issue? To prevent trapped fingers! :sleepy: and then BMW get sue for design faults.

Burple
19th March 2007, 10:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by rpn

I wonder is that (holding the switch for closing) something to do with safety issue? To prevent trapped fingers! :sleepy: and then BMW get sue for design faults.

Don't think so..
The driver's side one powers up in one flip of the switch for doing things like driving throught Bridge tolls etc, so the driver can flip'n'forget the window to get his/her hands back to where they should be...

KenL
19th March 2007, 11:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
Don't think so..
The driver's side one powers up in one flip of the switch for doing things like driving throught Bridge tolls etc, so the driver can flip'n'forget the window to get his/her hands back to where they should be...

Mine (R56) doesn't and my 2002 ONE didn't do it either!

Gismo
19th March 2007, 11:08 PM
It is a safety feature for the passenger window to NOT be able to be raised with a click of the switch, i can't remember exactly for what :I
But, it didn't stop me fitting one ;)

Clare1
19th March 2007, 11:26 PM
The Passenger side isnt fitted with 'anti trap' which means the window switch will need to be held until closed.

Yip, a safety feature.

Wul
19th March 2007, 11:27 PM
i'm sure it is to do with trapped fingers etc - there's a chance a child will be sitting in the passenger seat - but not in the drivers seat......in theory! I'm sure in America both sides can't auto close due to the chance of litigation!:eek:

KenL
19th March 2007, 11:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Clare1

The Passenger side isnt fitted with 'anti trap' which means the window switch will need to be held until closed.

Yip, a safety feature.

Does this mean my driver's side should close with one flick?

Must check it out.

KenL
19th March 2007, 11:55 PM
Just been out to check it.

The driver's side does indeed go up with a flick but the passenger side does not.

AndyP & Lenore
20th March 2007, 12:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Clare1

Yip, a safety feature.

NOPE, a cost cutting exercise.:( If they can fit "anti-trap" to the driver's window, but don't fit anti-trap to the passenger window, they can't say that's a safety feature. If you had fitted anti-trap to both windows, that would have been a safety feature.

A.;)

vintageb3
20th March 2007, 02:49 AM
I agree Andy...not a saftey feature

I read that this little circuit that's on offer is clever...but not as clever as a human putting up the window.

I'll try and explain why: The window is completly down...so you hold the button until the window closes. You release the button quickly after.

If the window is only half open (or half closed) you will only hold the button for the time required to close the window...and again release the button soon after the window is closed.

This puts as little "strain" or load on the motor as possible.

The circuit doesn't know if the window is open fully or is half open but simply switches power for 6 seconds. If the window is only open 2" (50mm) this could mean that the motor is under load for 5 seconds after the window is closed.

This is why I have stayed away from that mod. I'm sure we will be fitting motors soon enough without accelerating the process.

mark

Big Col
20th March 2007, 02:57 PM
It is a safety feature. It's argued that someone coul easily have their fingers in the passenger window and the driver may not notice.

Gismo
20th March 2007, 03:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
It is a safety feature. It's argued that someone coul easily have their fingers in the passenger window and the driver may not noticeThis is the one i couldn't remember :p:I:)

Wul
20th March 2007, 03:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

i'm sure it is to do with trapped fingers etc - there's a chance a child will be sitting in the passenger seat - but not in the drivers seat......in theory! I'm sure in America both sides can't auto close due to the chance of litigation!:eek:

c'mon boys - wake up!:p