PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak

Ivano
19th March 2007, 04:55 PM
I seemed to have developed a leak in in Coolant bottle/pipes. The car was serviced in January and levels topped up, but when i was cleaning the car at the weekend and i opened the bonnet to give the engine a wipe and noticed that the coolant bottle was almost empty. PANIC!!!!

I called my cousin who is a mechanic who said i clearly have a leak and advised to top it up with a little water in the mix that was left to get me by until i get the car booked in to be looked at. He advised that when the dealership do a pressure test they will be able to source where the leak is in the system.

I think that this also happened to my last Cooper back in 2002. Has anybody else encountered this with their MINIs.

Car has been booked into Fairbairn's in Giffnock for tomorrow to be looked at.....

MartinSullivan
19th March 2007, 05:20 PM
The seam around the middle of the coolant bottle is prone to giving up the ghost, get the car warm and open the bonnet and check for steam escaping along this seam.

Ivano
19th March 2007, 09:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

The seam around the middle of the coolant bottle is prone to giving up the ghost, get the car warm and open the bonnet and check for steam escaping along this seam.

I will have a look out for that. Hopefully it will get all fixed tomorrow once Fairbairn's have a look at it though.

Gismo
19th March 2007, 10:46 PM
Usually when the leak is at the coolant bottle the exhaust heat shield directly underneath it turns a nasty green colour ;)8)

Wul
19th March 2007, 11:29 PM
It was a known warranty issue a while back so make sure they don't charge you for it if its the bottle leaking!

Ivano
20th March 2007, 01:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

It was a known warranty issue a while back so make sure they don't charge you for it if its the bottle leaking!

Cheers for the advice.

Ivano
22nd March 2007, 09:58 PM
Car is now all fixed, it needed a new Temperature Sensor??? and all done through warranty by Fairbairn's.

quote:Originally posted by Ivano

I seemed to have developed a leak in in Coolant bottle/pipes. The car was serviced in January and levels topped up, but when i was cleaning the car at the weekend and i opened the bonnet to give the engine a wipe and noticed that the coolant bottle was almost empty. PANIC!!!!

I called my cousin who is a mechanic who said i clearly have a leak and advised to top it up with a little water in the mix that was left to get me by until i get the car booked in to be looked at. He advised that when the dealership do a pressure test they will be able to source where the leak is in the system.

I think that this also happened to my last Cooper back in 2002. Has anybody else encountered this with their MINIs.

Car has been booked into Fairbairn's in Giffnock for tomorrow to be looked at.....

soopercooper
23rd March 2007, 06:12 PM
glad to hear your car is all sorted,i saw it hen it was sitting on the deck,and i love the way the car sits on coilovers,makes me want to get them installed on my cooper.

Ivano
5th April 2007, 04:20 PM
Car back in with Coolant still leaking even though they claimed it was fixed. Apparently it is a bit more serious than first thought, there are going to have to replace a part that has never needed replaced on a MINI (well Fairbairn's anyway) They had a guy look at it from the MINI Factory who was up for a meeting. The part is going to take an estimated 10 days to arrive but don't ask me what the part is... i haven't a clue. I am getting the car back on Friday after they replace my JCW Exhaust which had blown, but i am going to have to monitor my coolant levels frequently until the new part arrives for the car.....