PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake Handle etc

ELFMAN
27th January 2004, 04:42 AM
Just bought a neat (one piece) chrome/leather handle for the S's handbrake, but can't see how the old one comes off. No instructions, and I don't want to “break the brake”. Has anybody fitted one, if so how's it done:question:

Also got Chrome Number Plate Surrounds, which seem to have lots of holes:I, but not where I need them. I'll get a better idea when I take the 'plates off, I expect.......HMMM. :mad:

The wee Chrome Washer Jets covers I can just about handle:clown:

All stuff from 'Cool New' if that makes any difference. Any advice gratefully accepted - it doesn't even have to be chromed:cool:

KenL
27th January 2004, 06:14 AM
I'll search out a thread on MINI2 for you elfman, I changed mine for the MINI chrome one.

KenL
27th January 2004, 06:16 AM
here you go:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28807&highlight=chrome+handbrake

duncan
27th January 2004, 07:28 AM
Was it pretty easy to do Ken?
Just thinking of if/when i get my next MINI!

Willie M
27th January 2004, 04:46 PM
Oooohhh. Satelite's changed his name ;);):D

KenL
27th January 2004, 05:15 PM
Yes Duncan, it was easy apart from easing the cable tie holding the gator over the rear of the handbrake. I didn't both fitting another tie in the end as you can just fold it over neatly and you would never know ir had a tie in the first place.

I thought you had one already anyway Duncan? I kept the original so that I can stick that back on when I trade/sell the car.

Wul
27th January 2004, 06:06 PM
Euan - i fitted the halfrauds version of the chrome number plate surround - don't worry if the holes are in the wrong place - as long as the screws can pass through the number plate and into the bodywork the pressure of the number plate on the surrond will keep it in place.

If the surround is obstructing the screws either drill a new hole in the surround or buy those sticky number plate pads instead.

:)

euan
27th January 2004, 08:16 PM
I always think that this is something I would do to my car. Then I have to do things that I did on Saturday and put a glove over the chrome part of my gear stick as it was FREEZING and I think again....

duncan
27th January 2004, 09:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL
I thought you had one already anyway Duncan? I kept the original so that I can stick that back on when I trade/sell the car.

Thats the plan for me too.

I didn't fit mine, John Clarks did it when there was a handbrake recall on, so i hadn't a clue how it came apart.

KenL
27th January 2004, 09:22 PM
So did they give you the original back?

KenL
27th January 2004, 09:22 PM
What/when you planning your next MINI then Duncan?

duncan
27th January 2004, 09:43 PM
Yes Ken, i've got the original still.
Want to get a new MINI later this year. before its 3 years old anyway.
Keep playing on the mini.co.uk Build Your Own MINI site - a very dangerous thing!
Think i'd get a decent specced Cooper in Indi Blue.

Are you looking to replace yours soon?

KenL
27th January 2004, 10:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Yes Ken, i've got the original still.
Want to get a new MINI later this year. before its 3 years old anyway.
Keep playing on the mini.co.uk Build Your Own MINI site - a very dangerous thing!
Think i'd get a decent specced Cooper in Indi Blue.

Are you looking to replace yours soon?

Don't wait too long if you want Indi Blue as it is being phased out apparantly. I take it you are aware of the slight styling tweaks that will come in during the summer this year?

As for me I'm hoping to get a new MINI - hopefully a lightly specced S late on this year. If that turns out too pricey (as no doubt the prices will go up) then I'll get a Cooper.

I'm an old fart remember so insurance will be ~£450 on an S so not too bad.

3GGG
27th January 2004, 11:50 PM

Don't wait too long if you want Indi Blue as it is being phased out apparantly. I take it you are aware of the slight styling tweaks that will come in during the summer this year?

Strange, why would they phase out a popular colour like Indi blue? Or is this part of a general change to new colours?

KenL
27th January 2004, 11:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

Strange, why would they phase out a popular colour like Indi blue? Or is this part of a general change to new colours?

There are new colours coming some specific to the convertible or S. One is a purplish blue (Black Eye Purple) which I think will be available across the range, a new blue (Hyper Blue) to take the place of Electric Blue for the S and an orange colour that I think is only available for the convertible.

I'd have thought they would have got rid of a colour that wasn't so popular but I suppose they don't want too many blues!

duncan
28th January 2004, 01:49 AM
Well, thanks for the Info Ken.
I knew that there were subtle changes afoot, like the light clusters, but didn't know they were doing away with Indi Blue!!!

Maybe just have to settle for a Dark Silver S without half the toys.
Now I wonder how much the Insurance would be?????

Edit

Well, maybe not. £600 for a basic S and £362 for a Chilli Cooper.

KenL
28th January 2004, 04:28 AM
Check the news section on MINI2. New front/rear bumpers and minor interior changes as well.

ELFMAN
28th January 2004, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the tips you guys. So THAT"S what the cable tie was doing in the box! Why don't they tell you these things?

Will give it a go at the weekend.
Drive safe Y'all.

ELFMAN
30th January 2004, 05:00 AM
Final Update:
While car was in getting pulley problem sorted, got them to fit the handle F.O.C. - thought it was a fair trade for the gremlin hassles. SORTED!

KenL
30th January 2004, 05:59 AM
Nice one elfman.