PDA

View Full Version : VX220 or Caterham

The Dogfather
15th March 2007, 01:54 AM
Having a discussion at work about affordable stripped out driver's cars, second hand purchase around £15k. Having discounted MX5' cause their too soft and the Elise because their either to ropey or too expensive, we're trying to decide on a car which could be used regularly and occassionaly be used on the track.

Which one would you go for and why?

Craig
15th March 2007, 02:14 AM
I have always wanted a Caterham, but it would not be for normal use - purely for sunny days and track days. :approve::approve::approve:

The VX220 is probably the best of both worlds, BUT it is still a vauxhall at the end of the day.. ;)

AndyP & Lenore
15th March 2007, 05:50 AM
Ohhhhh. Caterham for me. Just love them.

A.:D

Big Col
15th March 2007, 06:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Ohhhhh. Caterham for me. Just love them.

Unfortunately they do make him mince just a lil it seems. :kiss:

PACMAN
15th March 2007, 07:37 AM
VX220 ;) There is one for sale at king street motors in Aberdeen ;)

sh@z
15th March 2007, 07:43 AM
VX220, and its not really a vauxhall... its an Elise for all intents and purposes... except for when it comes to putting a badge on it ;) Get the Turbo then you might at least have one respectable car ;)

broken_brian
15th March 2007, 08:19 AM
Get a caterham as vx 220s are softened up for the nice safe understeer that all vauxhalls like to have and my little 400cc bike car beat them off of roundabouts :evil::D...

Gismo
15th March 2007, 01:30 PM
How can a catherham be used regularly on the road :p given the UK weather etc, so, given the choice it would have to be the VX220 :approve:

The Dogfather
15th March 2007, 03:25 PM
However the one way the caterham scores over the VX220 is that if I was to get one I could get a small engined one (1.4 K Series) whilst I'm still doing a fair bit of mileage and change it out for a more powerful lump later. All hypothetical of course ;)

Not too worried about comfort (up to a point), as I used to regularly travel from Leicester to Blackpool in the depths of winter.

ianking
15th March 2007, 05:10 PM
A friend of mine just bought a used VX220 as his weekend toy. My god its a good car..

Gismo
15th March 2007, 05:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
Not too worried about comfort (up to a point), as I used to regularly travel from Leicester to Blackpool in the depths of winterDidn't the mini hurt your back so bad you got rid of it ;) imagine an open top caterham :evil::p8)
I can never keep up with your ever changing reasoning 8):p

The Dogfather
15th March 2007, 06:08 PM
Alan, it was the seats as long as they support my upper back I'm OK. The Brabus is rock hard and it's fine, the difference is proper seats.

Burple
15th March 2007, 06:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by broken_brian

my little 400cc bike can beat them off :evil::D...

:eek::eek: You dirty little man! :D:D:D:D

Caterham every time. the looks of the Vauxhall just don't cut it...
Definitely Caterham.. The reason.. well this is the reason:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/images/caterham-csr-3.JPG
Maybe not the best for regular use, but damn it would be fun! Where's Vaila when there's a Caterham discussion? ;)
The only other thing thgat would be acceptable for this type of toy would be one of these (well apart from the price!! :D)

http://www.autoclub.com.au/uploaded_images/lotus-exige-s-2006-775719.jpg
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

The Dogfather
15th March 2007, 06:09 PM
I should have just gone for Recaros with the MINI.

Anyway this is just a hypothetical discussion......... honest

AndyP & Lenore
15th March 2007, 06:19 PM

Anyway this is just a hypothetical discussion......... honest

Aye, RIGHT! Didn't we all have a similar "hypothetical" discussion about a year ago over an MX5?:I:D;)

The Dogfather
15th March 2007, 06:39 PM
no never 'appened

AeroJonny
16th March 2007, 08:08 PM
I'd personally have an elise or ideally an exige...if you look after them properly they can take track days and plenty of road time. They're great fun too as my mate's had an elise and currently has an exige which i brilliant...unreal!!

Gushing aside, I'd have to go for the VX220. I really like the looks and besides...a Caterham in winter just doesn't bear thinking about.

euan
16th March 2007, 08:16 PM
Having driven my brothers Westfield (Caterhams are for wimps ;)) in winter, I can assure you it's not something to be done too often! It was a cracking car, brutally fast (he had a 2.0 ford engine in it) and made a cracking noise. However, he drove it from Inverness once and had to stop a few times as it was too much to take in one go.

So, the VX220 for me - has a decent roof (less of a hang-gliding accident look) and with the turbo, brutal. Looks better than an Elise or Caterham to if you ask me.

Burple
16th March 2007, 10:06 PM
But.. but but.. the SUPERCHARGER noise on the Exige S is awesome!! :p:D:D

If I were in the market for a car to play with like this for occasional road and track use, a noise like that is essential! :D:D

The Dogfather
16th March 2007, 10:30 PM
A VX Turbo currently being considered :eek: 56 plate 51 miles

PACMAN
16th March 2007, 11:07 PM

A VX Turbo currently being considered :eek: 56 plate 51 miles

Buy it ;)

Gismo
17th March 2007, 02:17 PM
A VX Turbo currently being considered :eek: 56 plate 51 milesAll hypothetical of course :p

The Dogfather
17th March 2007, 03:52 PM
Of course ;)

The Dogfather
19th March 2007, 06:28 AM
Jackie's digging her heals in over the VX220, I gutted. So I'm looking at either the Works at Motorpoint or another Brabus, a silver one this time......

The only problem with the MINI is I'll have to buy another set of seats......

Gismo
19th March 2007, 01:18 PM
What's the excuse reason you're changing again after saying that this car would be run into the ground ;):p:D

The Dogfather
19th March 2007, 02:29 PM
The Audi was supposed to be Jackies car, but I'm the one who drives it the most. Its rough, even for a diesel. As I'm spending some much time driving it figures that I should at least have a car that I enjoy driving.....

Plus, I've got a feeling they've put the wrong type of oil in it at the last service.