PDA

View Full Version : wheel arch light/reflector kit (usa style)

Gaz B
14th March 2007, 05:49 PM
Hi folks,saw this kit on the newministuff website and tought it looked like a nice inexpensive mod.
Does anybody have any experience and/or opinions of this kit? is it a good'un or just plain tacky?:I
http://www.newministuff.com/new/image.php?iid=187

rpn
14th March 2007, 06:43 PM
They look nice but are they legel over here?

Mark R
14th March 2007, 07:01 PM
They just reflectors or do they actually light up?

If they are lights then you need them to show amber on the sides of the car. Currently it's the only colour your legally allowed for lights on the sides. White for the front, red on the back. I don't see you getting pulled over for it mind you but that's the current law regarding car lighting.

Gismo
14th March 2007, 07:15 PM
They do light up, as per the piccie, as Mark R suggests, they must be the right colour, but, more importantly, come MOT time your car will fail if the lights do not work all round ;)

Gaz B
14th March 2007, 11:19 PM
Good points regarding the legallitiy of the lights folks. I thought they looked pretty cool and yes they do light up,but if i'm gonna get grief at mot time and off of the rozzers then it's just not worth it. I'm too long in the tooth now!:(

Burple
14th March 2007, 11:52 PM
Doesn't somebody on here have them? Sleepy? is it you?

Ever had any bother from the ol' fuzz about them?

X30YES
15th March 2007, 01:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by rpn

They look nice but are they legel over here?
The GP has them ,and I'm not sure if they light up tho ....

T100L
15th March 2007, 05:32 PM
got em on my gp, but they dont light up, prob have to for the abroad lot!

Mark R
15th March 2007, 06:11 PM
They are required by law in the States but I also know that a few people over there have done mods to get rid of them and just have the solid arches like ours. Reflectors should be legal here so you could always just not wire up the light part of it.

BJN
16th March 2007, 08:33 PM
The lights should be perfectly legal as Volvos have them fitted as standard

bainy1
17th March 2007, 06:14 PM
Hi to all on here.

I've got these on my GP and bought the connections to make them light up and have had no problems from the police. Think they look really good.

T100L
17th March 2007, 07:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by bainy1

Hi to all on here.

I've got these on my GP and bought the connections to make them light up and have had no problems from the police. Think they look really good.

hate to copy u bud, but i fancy them on mine too, where you get them from & are they a nightmare to fit?

bainy1
18th March 2007, 04:55 PM
Got them from here http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop.php?action=productshow&id=384

The front ones are easy as there's a hole to get the plug into and then it simple to splice into the sidelight wires. The back ones are more of a pain as some of the plastic wheel arch has to be removed to get to the plug socket. I used this fitting guide

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_exterior#faq_marker_lights

It shows how to replace the normal ones if its not a GP but it was helpful for the GP because it shows the hidden screws. The info that comes with the parts tells you what wires to splice into. If I can do it anyone can manage it :D

bigcoyote
19th March 2007, 03:06 AM
:D

I think it is funny --- over here in the USA we want the solid arches with no reflectors / lights. And you guys want our reflectors.....

Maybe we can do a swap.... we will send you all our reflectors and you send us all your solid arches...:eek:

ohh well... as they say " The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence " :p

T100L
20th March 2007, 12:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by bigcoyote

:D

I think it is funny --- over here in the USA we want the solid arches with no reflectors / lights. And you guys want our reflectors.....

Maybe we can do a swap.... we will send you all our reflectors and you send us all your solid arches...:eek:

ohh well... as they say " The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence " :p

yup we always want what we dont have & vice versa...gona get a set & see what they look like "when the lights are on":D