PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable/Rotary polishers

blr123
13th March 2007, 08:31 PM
Hi guys,

I saw mention of Porter Cable (PC) and Rotary polishers in another thread, I thought I might give some info about these.

The PC is a dual action or orbital machine the advantage and reason the PC has become the standard is the size of the "throw" most orbital machines have a throw of between 6 & 8mm whereas the PC has a throw of about 24mm, this means the PC is basically an "open the box and use" type machine, the PC is also totally safe for use by novices anyone can use one without doing damage to their paintwork.

The Rotary polisher on the other hand is a "direct drive" machine which means the shaft that drives the backing plate/pad comes directly from the motor and here is where the problems can arrive, as it's a direct drive a lot of heat can be generated and if too much then the clearcoat/paint will be damaged, care and indeed practice on a scrap panel are essential.

One other point I would mention, we have now etailed several cars as result of these cars having machine (Rotary) polished by bodyshops causing what we call buffer trails & hollograms, the reason for that is they use the maching on much to high a speed settimg and move across the panel way to fast.......this is not me bashing bodyshops just our experience of their polishing abilities, basically I'm saying be aware when you car goes into a bodyshop.

The followwing is a link to a car we did and the damage is as a result of bodyshop machine polishing: -

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/78328-peugeot-206-bodyshop-shocker-fixed.html?highlight=bodyshop+shocker

Just some info I thought might be of interest ;)

Bryan

Gorbash12346
14th March 2007, 06:20 AM
yes it was me who mentioned them and i'm still trying to find somewhere in the uk who'll import them for me

blr123
14th March 2007, 06:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gorbash12346

yes it was me who mentioned them and i'm still trying to find somewhere in the uk who'll import them for me

I know where you can buy them from in the UK......is it OK for me to post a link?

Bryan

PS try ebay just found a kit including pads for £135 that's pretty good eal that is ;)

X30YES
14th March 2007, 04:00 PM
I think you'll need a Transformer as well !!! 110v/240v

jayex
14th March 2007, 04:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Yip you do..... the results are worth it tho :D ( screwfix are cheap for the transformers and connectors )

X30YES
14th March 2007, 04:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by jayex

quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Yip you do..... the results are worth it tho :D ( screwfix are cheap for the transformers and connectors )
I know you do as well ;):p

blr123
14th March 2007, 11:56 PM
Yep you need a transformer,a 110volt plug and a 14metre extension.......although my PC has been wired with 10metre cable which makes it better for working round the car......you're not trailing the plug & extension around ;)

Bryan

PS Megs are bringing out their own PC, it was supposed to launched this month (March) but that has been put back......no definite date at the moment, that would do away with the need for the transformer.....they also say it will be sub £200.