PDA

View Full Version : BHP figures for R56

ianking
12th March 2007, 07:17 PM
I went to the rolling road day and detailing day with the scottish mini forum yesterday.

There were various minis on the rollers including a minted mini 30 with a honda engine which gave 190 bhp. A wolf in sheeps clothing...

A couple of Cooper Ss went on and there was one that had 30k on clock on an 03 plate and gave about 154 bhp, im sure the book states 163 bhp for that car.
Anyway the guys there persuaded me to put the new model on the rollers. My new R56 had only 700 miles on it and was running on tesco petrol and gave out 191 bhp. I was very pleased with that. The engineer chap there said that once it had loosened off a bit and if I put in optimax it will get to 200 bhp.
The man was explaining that the turbo S was at full torque at 3000 revs and maintained full torque until 6250 revs which he said was good.
I dont fully understand it all but I know that getting 191 bhp from a 170 bhp car is good.

He said that BMW have been very conservative with figures for their new models, petrol and diesel in order to keep insurance figures low.

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 07:21 PM
Wow, that is good. When I drove the new S is felt quicker than my Smart but the figures quoted said otherwise, perhaps the R56 is quicker and the figures should actually be nearer 6.7 0-62 (rough estimation given the power to weight difference)

AndyP & Lenore
12th March 2007, 07:32 PM
Ian this is interesting.:D:D

I'll settle for 191bhp. And taking into account the Automatic Transmission has been recorded as faster round a track than a manual, woooo hoooooooo!!!!:D:D:D

A.;)

Scottie
12th March 2007, 07:45 PM
H'mm does it really metter how quick you get to 30mph or to 70mph.???

;) You can tell I own a Cooper:(;):p:D

illegalhunter
12th March 2007, 09:10 PM
Well no need for the JCW upgrade then

Duncan Stewart
12th March 2007, 09:39 PM
I've read that the supercharged Cooper S usually gives lower figures on a rolling road as they don't get enought airflow to cool properly resulting in low power figures.
Great result for your new turbo S :D

AndyP & Lenore
12th March 2007, 11:02 PM
Duncan, I'm not sure where Ian's rolling road was located, but the rolling road dynamometer at Dastek is situated in a massive wind tunnel and they can create wind speeds of around 200mph. Which eliminates any airflow problems.

Our S had no problems.... and tested to factory spec bhp. Decided to say no more as we're trading it in.:I

A.:D

ianking
12th March 2007, 11:40 PM
The place I was at was in Kirkaldy, Star Performance I think was the name. they had massive big fan machines with big tubes going into them etc. Very loud and windy, couldnt stand in front of them anyway.

Alfie
13th March 2007, 01:56 AM
Star Performance are good. I have had my car serviced by them for years.

The owner (Jimmy Curley) is a VW/Audi nut. Obsessed with diesels (bizarre).

He knows his stuff pretty well as does his son, Brian who also runs the place. Recommended to anyone for mods/upgrades/chip etc etc.

N12 JLK
13th March 2007, 02:16 AM
191 yeeehaa

KenL
13th March 2007, 03:54 AM
Figures sound impressive. I have a few questions.

They measure at the wheels, yes? How do they work out the conversion factor to account for transmission losses? Do all testing houses use a standard figure?

Autocar tested the S at 7.1s to 60 on a greasy track - they said it would not be a surprise if an S could do 6.5s 0-60.

On the Cooper, the only test results I have seen for it got 8.6s 0-60 - no bad eh!!!

The Dogfather
13th March 2007, 04:15 AM
0-60 isn't the standard, 0-62 is the usual figure. You can usually add about 0.2 secs for sub seven seconds cars. The S should do 0-62 in 7.1.

ianking
13th March 2007, 04:36 AM
Im not sure how it is all worked out but the print out thing the man gave me says
normal power 191bhp
engine output 193.5 bhp
wheel output 155.5 bhp
drag output 38 bhp

torque 176 lbf-ft

The Dogfather
13th March 2007, 05:15 AM
38bhp seems a big figure to be lost in the transmission.

swil00
13th March 2007, 05:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by Alfie

Star Performance are good. I have had my car serviced by them for years.

The owner (Jimmy Curley) is a VW/Audi nut. Obsessed with diesels (bizarre).

He knows his stuff pretty well as does his son, Brian who also runs the place. Recommended to anyone for mods/upgrades/chip etc etc.

I'll second that. Star is a good place to go for getting any work done.

Don't think Jim will be quite so high on the diesels after tuning his Leon sport (2.0T) I think its running about 290bhp with a Milltek and a custom remap.

As for the Mini rolling road figures... Milltek reckon they can get over 200bhp with a a full system (inc cat and downpipe) It looked a great gain, but no quite as good when you see what the standard car is putting out.

Nobody out there looking for a VW R32 is there ? Its making my Mini adventure look increasingly dodgy...:(

markyc
17th March 2007, 04:05 AM
Flippin eck thats some bhp for a wee mowta :eek::eek::eek::D