PDA

View Full Version : understanding the tlc pack?

pamelab21
12th March 2007, 06:27 PM
Hi all

Can anyone help little thick old me understand the tlc pack.
I thought it gave 5 years of servicing. My car is almost 3 years and the computer on the car says another 8000 miles 'til the next inspection due. The mileage is at 25500 just now.
The tlc pack says next service at approx 25000 miles. Does that mean I should book it in now or wait for another 8000 miles 'til the car says it needs a service. Very confused 8)
Am I thick or what:I

Gismo
12th March 2007, 06:43 PM
Services are dictated by the way you drive your car, the harder you drive it, the quicker the services, if you drive like a wifey :I then the intervals will be longer.
BMW won't service your car under the TLC guidelines until the right time is indicated on your read out, many people pay for an oil service in between times.

One good thing, it shows that your car was not thrashed by the previous owner ;)

pamelab21
12th March 2007, 08:39 PM
I get it now, thanks.
So I will wait until the car tells me then. Guess its in charge!

Cheers

pamelab21
12th March 2007, 09:10 PM
another thicko question then!
Do Minis not have to be serviced annually then to keep up any warranty then or it it purely dictated by miles?
The cars last service was a year ago I think and it will prob take me another year to do 8000 miles like the computer says, so is it ok to leave the car for two years without a service?

BJN
12th March 2007, 10:06 PM
If you push the wee reset button on the odometer when the display is telling you how many miles to the service, then it'll change to how many days. So if you do mega low mileage it'll tell you it needs a service when the days gets to zero

S7JGW
12th March 2007, 10:16 PM
Is the days part not when the brake fluid needs changed.
Jim

Mark R
12th March 2007, 10:22 PM
The days part is indeed the number until the brake fluid needs changed. It runs down from 730 days (2 years) between changes.

You'll have that with your TLC too I believe, at least one brake fluid change. I had one with mine but I don't know if they ever altered the agreement on TLC to add or take away anything from 2002 when mine was first purchased.

Gorbash12346
14th March 2007, 06:07 AM
it does both basically if your car is showing 25k and with 8k to go to the next service has it had 2 services already?? most r50-53's only got 10k miles out of their first stint instead of the more usual 15k for tlc to be aallowed you cars readout must say less than 100 miles to go or that 2 years have passed since it's last service coincidentally at that point brake fluid would also likely be due as it is done every 2 years and coolant every 4 years

KenL
14th March 2007, 04:35 PM
How many service stamps do you have in the book?

Or... I think the service info is held centrally, perhaps one of our friendly dealer folk could check your car out to see how many services it has had.

pamelab21
14th March 2007, 05:42 PM
I am sure it has only had the main check when it left the garage and then one service from the tlc pack. The car was registered in May 2004.
I will check the book when I get home as don't keep it in the car and I post the details tonight.
Hopefully it will make it a bit clearer then. I can't remember what the old plate was as now have my cherished plate on there so they wouldn't be able to find it under that would they?
Thanks all!

KenL
14th March 2007, 06:04 PM
They can find a car from the VIN No.

rpn
14th March 2007, 06:23 PM
You can get the full history (incl. reg. number changes etc) of the car from DLVC if you can proof to them that you're the lawful owner. But not the history of the registration number.

Gismo
14th March 2007, 07:06 PM
It's worthwhile visiting a Mini dealer now to make sure they have your car on record so that any potential pitfalls can be ironed out now and not when you need your next warranty, TLC or whatever done ;)