PDA

View Full Version : Sticking brakes

Mark R
12th March 2007, 09:04 AM
I think my front brakes are stuck on after a near miss with a car of people that decided it would be a good idea to stop to sight see just round a bend on a single track road. Car just seems to be slowing down pretty quickly when I lift off the accelerator and there was a little squeaking coming from the front the same day I had the near miss. Feels a little like I'm pushing the car more than I should have to when I want it to go.

Anyone any ideas on how to check the brakes to be sure they are sticking on besides taking it to a garage?

ScottishCooper
12th March 2007, 04:14 PM
I had this problem with another car, the piston seized out.
Easiest way to check it is drive a few miles and then feel the wheel, if the brakes are 'stuck' the wheel will feel warmer than usual.

Hope this crude method helps....

ianking
12th March 2007, 04:43 PM
Or jack the car up and see if the wheel is turning freely.

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 04:46 PM
I was going to suggest that ;)

Gismo
12th March 2007, 05:34 PM
If one side is sticking the car will "steer" in that direction, if not, then it would be unlikely that both sides seized at the same time, or unlucky :p

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 06:05 PM
Are you sure it's the fronts, I reckon the back brakes are more likely to stick on because of all the crap hitting the back of the car. Plus if its rears then the steering issue wouldn't be noticable. Our old A4 had this problem we only noticed because the fuel economy was so poor.......

Mark R
12th March 2007, 08:09 PM
I checked the fronts this morning before work by jacking the car up but will check the rears later. The car's not pulling to anyone side but I heard the squeking again just this morning. Might need to get someone who'd know what they were looking at to give them a look over still.

Just in case anyone mentions it,;) I will take the handbrake off before checking but leave it in gear so the car doesn't roll.:p