PDA

View Full Version : So this Global Warming thing.....

The Dogfather
9th March 2007, 07:20 AM
Its a crock of £$*! then?

Global Warming Swindle (http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/G/great_global_warming_swindle/index.html)

AndyP & Lenore
9th March 2007, 09:11 AM
Didn't see the program, but had a look at the wed site and I saw the program featured in a daytime tv show earlier today.

The scientists involved make a pretty convincing argument. but then, maybe it's just easier to subscribe to their theories than to reduce carbon emissions.

I have to admit, I'm starting to think it's all a crock of £$*!.

A.:question:

The Dogfather
9th March 2007, 03:36 PM
There is two ways to look at it -

Its true, but its too late to do anything now so we might as well enjoy ourselves. We just need to move to higher ground, we might loose Norfolk but is that such a great loss, I mean the gene pool would improve.

Its not true, we are currently wasting billions on 'green' energy and the government are using this as a way of bringing in new taxes.

Right, I'm of to order a Hummer :p

N12 JLK
10th March 2007, 12:33 AM
The bit in the programme on solar flares did make sense so with that in mind Im off out to rip up the roads on our S:p

AndyP & Lenore
10th March 2007, 01:59 AM
Missed the programme when it was on last night, so I'm downloading it from Channel 4's download service 4oD. Only cost 99p. Hoping to be able to burn it to DVD once it's downloaded so i can take it downstairs and watch on it the telly, but I doubt it'll let me.

A.:)

minidriver#1
10th March 2007, 04:50 AM
Notice how it's just the older people on the site that think it's bollocks...

The Dogfather
10th March 2007, 06:36 AM
Older?

What point are you making KJ?

Anyway there's only been 3 replies

N12 JLK
11th March 2007, 12:23 AM
33 isnt old, just nearly broken in;)

sh@z
11th March 2007, 04:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK

33 isnt old, just nearly broken;)

More accurate!

AndyP & Lenore
11th March 2007, 04:42 AM

33 isnt old, just broke;)

A.:approve:

N12 JLK
11th March 2007, 05:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

33 old, ;)

A.:approve:

minidriver#1
11th March 2007, 06:53 PM
The point is your old :P and old people are killing the environment? We need some Soylent Green action going on here.

The Dogfather
11th March 2007, 07:14 PM
And you drive a car, right? Have you looked at buying a GWIZ or similar? Although you may struggle to get 19"s on it :p

If you believe what they're telling you and you want to do something about it - then bye bye car. Or are you too old and stuck in your ways. I reckon people of my advanced age (34) are greener than 20 summats, most have kids and are worried about their childrens future.

Solyent Green - 70s 'Beware the future film' pish of the highest order......

minidriver#1
11th March 2007, 08:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
And you drive a car, right? Have you looked at buying a GWIZ or similar? Although you may struggle to get 19"s on it :p

If you believe what they're telling you and you want to do something about it - then bye bye car. Or are you too old and stuck in your ways. I reckon people of my advanced age (34) are greener than 20 summats, most have kids and are worried about their childrens future.

To counter your argument, the car won't be in use soon ;) Soon i wont have any need for it.

N12 JLK
11th March 2007, 09:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

To counter your argument, the car won't be in use soon ;) Soon i wont have any need for it.

Have you cracked time travel:question::p

sh@z
11th March 2007, 09:38 PM

Have you cracked time travel:question::p

Nah he's just being a tightar*e :p

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 12:54 AM
So he'd have a car if he wasn't skint then:question:

Mon the fish
12th March 2007, 02:03 AM
Didn't see the programme, but I believe in the solar flare thing, we've had ice ages and hotter times in the past, so this is probably one now. Ok, the North Pole icecap is shrinking, but they never tell you that the South Pole one is actually growing...

minidriver#1
12th March 2007, 03:28 AM

So he'd have a car if he wasn't skint then:question:

I'm not skint. I just find myself in a position where i don't need my car anymore.

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 04:22 AM
So if you needed a car you'd have one then, rather than using public transport. By the what have you given up or done to save the planet:question:

Gismo
12th March 2007, 05:52 PM
I'm not skint. I just find myself in a position where i don't need my car anymoreI don't get it, you're only interested in saving the planet when it suits you to get rid of the car, but until then you'll continue to pollute the environment ;)
Anyways, all the climate changes over the centuries past were not caused by humans, but by the planet itself, it's natures way, roll on the heatwave, i'm all right jack and all that :p

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 05:55 PM
Alan don't you live near the coast on low ground? That golf course would have a killer water hazard as well ;)

minidriver#1
12th March 2007, 06:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I'm not skint. I just find myself in a position where i don't need my car anymoreI don't get it, you're only interested in saving the planet when it suits you to get rid of the car, but until then you'll continue to pollute the environment ;)
Anyways, all the climate changes over the centuries past were not caused by humans, but by the planet itself, it's natures way, roll on the heatwave, i'm all right jack and all that :p

no, thats not true. He brought up the issue of owning a car so i referred the my situation with the car. There are other things i do in life to address my carbon footprint... for example travelling to Glasgow every day for work I use the megabus every morning. We've got energy saving lightbulbs in the house, electric cooker being fitted instead of gas. At work i'm forever turning off lights when not in use and even suggested to management they get the doors draft proofed. Those are just a few of the things i do.

You're last comment is true, but you forget to mention that this time we are assisting in accelerating the situation.

Gismo
12th March 2007, 06:14 PM
Alan don't you live near the coast on low ground? That golf course would have a killer water hazard as well ;)The Montrose championship course, which is the 5th oldest golf course in the world is sadly falling away with many of the coastal fairways disappearing into the sea.
With the annual high tides in March upon us we expect to lose even more of the course this year to coastal erosion.
Sadly, turning off a few light bulbs aint gonna stop that ;)

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 06:16 PM
This whole climate change crap is to keep the oil price down, and of course its a good excuse to bring in extra taxes such as road pricing and flight taxes.

The real down side is we're holding back development in the Third World, why? Probably to keep our own industries competitive.

I've listened to both sides of the arguement and I used to really believe the 'Greenhouse Arguement' especially after watching the Al Gore film. However the Channel 4 programme pulled all their 'evidence' apart. I've been reading up on who was involved in the programme, surprising that some of the most heavy weight climatologists are coming out against IPCC.

Gismo
12th March 2007, 06:16 PM
That magabus spits out far more harmful emissions than a 1.6l Cooper ;)
Anyway, i'm all for saving the environment, my remarks were made in jest :p
I agree that we should all do more, but, when you see the likes of the USA who won't even admit to their gross wasteage and harmful smoke ridden states, what chance have we got :evil:

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 06:22 PM
KJ, even if everyone in the UK cut their CO2 emmissions in half, the gap would be filled by expansion in China and India within 18 months. We're pushing China to invest in renewables, and they will but not because of CO2 but because of the smog problem they have.

The smog in asia might actually slow the warming up process though, the SO2 could actually reflect back the Sun's heat. What could happen if they carry on using so much coal is that we start to cool down and end up in a mini ice age. The climate models are little more than wild guesses, to cut back just in case is foolhardy.

We should be tacking poverty rather than climate change, because its actually something were we can achieve some good.

minidriver#1
12th March 2007, 06:51 PM
I think you might be onto something in regards to tackling poverty. Tackling poverty leads to greater education and greater awareness and that in itself would have various positive knock-on effects.

Scottie
12th March 2007, 07:43 PM
what a lot of b0ll0cks all this "we are the cause of climate change"

greatly over exaggerated by the younger generation look at KJ bet you go out and hug trees at the weekend.;):p

So what I drive a big huge diesel 4x4 but the wee tree hugger down the road drives a 1985 Ford who is creating more CO2 emissions.

As for the megabus your having a laugh at that one.;)

Me I blame the COWS ;)

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 08:19 PM
Didn't Top Gear report that the average train creates more CO2 than if everyone on the train went by car, OK not exactly a reliable scientific source but probably a valid point

minidriver#1
12th March 2007, 09:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

greatly over exaggerated by the younger generation look at KJ bet you go out and hug trees at the weekend.;):p

So what I drive a big huge diesel 4x4 but the wee tree hugger down the road drives a 1985 Ford who is creating more CO2 emissions.

Me I blame the COWS ;)

Don't you work in the oil industry?

minidriver#1
12th March 2007, 09:58 PM

Didn't Top Gear report that the average train creates more CO2 than if everyone on the train went by car, OK not exactly a reliable scientific source but probably a valid point

its only a valid point if it's true lol.

Scottie
12th March 2007, 10:21 PM

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Me I blame the COWS ;)

Don't you work in the oil industry?

not for much longer:D

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 10:21 PM
It'll be true :D

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 10:32 PM
It doesn't matter what's creating the CO2 as the CO2 isn't causing the warming trend.

The CO2 levels are increasing because of the warming trend caused by increased solar activity. When you heat any liquid they release any dissolved gases. So as the planet gets warmer the oceans gradually heat up, the lag is usually 600-800 years, as they heat up they release any dissolved gases. CO2 dissolves readily in water and the oceans are massive CO2 sinks.

This is why CO2 concentrations have always been higher during warm periods, but the CO2 levels are only higher after the higher temps not before usually lagging 600-800 years behind. The whole greenhouse gas arguement is based around flawed science. This is why a lot of climatologist quit the IPCC and why they contributed to the CH4 programme.