PDA

View Full Version : Laser Printer question

Scottie
7th March 2007, 06:37 PM
I have now got 2 Laser Printers

one is a HP Laserjet 5M and the other is a HP Laserjet 4000 N.

What do I need to hook it up to my Laptop? will it find a driver ok.

What kinda a cable do I need a parellel cable but what type of end to go into my Laptop. ???

Craig
7th March 2007, 06:44 PM
Fi, your laptop will have a driver for it not problem, if not just use a generic HP Driver (HP Laserjet IIIsi works for me :D)

as for connecting to your laptop, the 5N will be a parallel port, so you need a 25 pin centronics cable. (a standard parallel cable in real terms ;)). Your laptop may not have that connection on it, so it may not be possible. You can buy adapters.. :approve:

like this.... http://www.techfocus.co.uk/USB-Adapters-Dongles/TFA06.htm

Gismo
7th March 2007, 06:52 PM
What's the make and model of your laptop, you'll easily know if you have the right connector, they are usually purple :p

Scottie
7th March 2007, 07:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude

Fi, your laptop will have a driver for it not problem, if not just use a generic HP Driver (HP Laserjet IIIsi works for me :D)

as for connecting to your laptop, the 5N will be a parallel port, so you need a 25 pin centronics cable. (a standard parallel cable in real terms ;)). Your laptop may not have that connection on it, so it may not be possible. You can buy adapters.. :approve:

like this.... http://www.techfocus.co.uk/USB-Adapters-Dongles/TFA06.htm

ta will get one today.:D

Scottie
11th March 2007, 06:09 PM
looked at the back of my laptop and I have blue 15 pin thing with on round holes or a white thing with square holes in it with a negative sign. I have about 4 usb slotes. Going to PC world today so will buy a usb cable thingy.

Anway so once I've connected the printer to my laptop will it find new hardware and install automatic or will I need to add a new printer.

either way will it find the drivers or will I need to look for a suitable one.

better still a step by step guide on what I have to do would be great.

In normal speak for us non computer geeks.:D:D

Gismo
12th March 2007, 05:58 PM
Fi, go to the printer manufacturer web site and download the drivers and the manual ;)
Then, attach the USB cable, turn on the printer and do what the onscreen wizard asks, either it will install drivers automatically, or, it will ask you for the location where you downloaded the drivers to.

Be careful what USB cable you get, most probably will be a small square type at the printer end, check before you buy

Scottie
12th March 2007, 06:15 PM
well I hooked the printer up to my Laptop last night.

It took all of about 0.000001 second for it to install and all is working great.

The Laptop found new hardware and done the rest all in a wee message box bottom right.:D:D

I was chuffed because when I've installed printers to my Laptop at work (mind though they are network printers) it has been a total nightmare at times. Never mind trying to map to a network drive a'hh but not long now.:cool: