PDA

View Full Version : Unforseen drawback

Big Col
24th January 2004, 11:59 PM
A few months ago I bought lockable dustcaps made from Aluminium. All well and good until they oxidise and I can't get them off!!! Cue one big can of WD 40 and a pair of pliers.

Fontal
25th January 2004, 12:47 AM
OOOOPS!

They'll come off don't worry.

Big Col
25th January 2004, 01:52 AM
Hmmm. <puts plaster on bleeding knuckle> You sure?

3GGG
25th January 2004, 03:25 AM
Yeah - brass and aluminium don't mix too well!

Big Col
25th January 2004, 04:32 AM
Well they seem to have mixed pretty bloomin well now 3GGG! :mad: They've bonded ruddy nicely! <puts plaster on other bleeding knuckle>. :(

Anyone know where to get non aluminium lockable dustcaps:question:

Gismo
25th January 2004, 04:51 AM
If you ever get them off apply silicone (not oil or grease) to the threads, this acts as a barrier that helps to prevent the onset of two different metals reacting with each other ;)

Bonnie scotland

Big Col
25th January 2004, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the advice BS. Any advice on how to get the damn things off?

Gismo
25th January 2004, 05:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big ColThanks for the advice BS. Any advice on how to get the damn things off?Col, i reckon your best chance is if you can get the car into a garage out of the elements, use your WD40 and leave overnight.
This would have little effect if left in freezing conditions, then in the morning, boil a kettle, have a cup of tea, read the morning papers then phone the garage and get them to do it ;)
Seriously, garage car overnight as described, if no garage then apply the WD40 every 15 mins for an hour or so, boil a kettle and pour over the caps and let sit to heat the offending caps, using 2 pairs of pliers, one to grip the valve stem and the other to twist off the cap.
I assume you have loosened the little cap screw in the cap????

Bonnie Scotland

Linda M
25th January 2004, 07:16 AM
Interesting Alan !
Have a nice day tomorrow Col. Sounds like that'll take just about a day :evil::D

Big Col
25th January 2004, 07:48 AM
They're actually not that kinda locking caps Alan. They're the ones that need the liitle two pronged tool, not that that makes a lot of difference anyway since the free spinning bit of the cap has siezed to the fixed hub anyway.

I don't have a garage, which is a bummer, but will set about it with the kettle and WD40 tomorrow. Thanks very much for the advice. I'll let you know how it goes. I think you're right Linda. Looks like there's going to be a lot of sitting about next to me car and swearing at little bits of Aluminium tomorrow.

Big Col
25th January 2004, 09:44 PM
Ok...is it possible to change the valve on a tyre without changing the tyre? <puts plaster on last bleeding knuckle> :disapprove::(

Fontal
25th January 2004, 11:35 PM
I would imagine so but it will require the tyre to be removed as the valve is located from the inside and pulled through the hole in the rim to seal it.

I put my normal ones on by using a rag and a pair of pliers.

macblob
26th January 2004, 12:44 AM
Stuff called copper ease grease is meant to be good to stop valve caps sticking in the 1st place

Big Col
26th January 2004, 12:49 AM
Cheers macb. <watches the horse running freely across the fields as he closes the stable door> ;)

Actually they have gallon drums of copper grease at my work so I should've thought. D'oh.

macblob
26th January 2004, 02:03 AM
No probs Col , I realise its a bit late , but hope you manage to get them off ypur wheels ok :D

KenL
26th January 2004, 03:21 AM
Ouch, sounds nasty :eek:

My advice is to :

a) Go round the neighborhood and scare all the kids sh*tless :D so that they don't steal them. I approached a few kids who I suspected pinched mine (the missus saw them hanging about along the path beside ours) and asked them if they knew of anyone pinching caps off cars. They said "it wasn't us but there's a boy in our class who does it!"
b) Stock up on the normal ones from MINI dealers, they are only 20p each and I got 8 for free when buying Bonnie Scotland's mats ;).

Big Col
26th January 2004, 04:32 AM
I think stocking up seems to be the answer KenL. I STILL can't get there lockable buggars off and that's after spraying them with WD40 every 1/2 hour all day and about 4 kettles of water! I wouldn't mind so much by my offside front looks a little low which is how I found out about the problem in the first place. :(

silver son
26th January 2004, 09:39 PM
Why dont you drive the car to a dodgy area, park it up and let the local children work their magic !
If anyone can get the caps off it will be them:evil:

Failing that buy complete new set of wheels and tyres and sell the old ones with lockable valves at no extra cost;)