PDA

View Full Version : Temperature & fuel guages sticking

Martin
4th March 2007, 01:48 AM
When starting our mini (04 - Mini One), the needles on the fuel & temperature guages drop to the bottom (eg empty) vibrate for a few seconds (making a buzzing sound) then operate properly.

Is this a common problem?
Any cures?

duncan
4th March 2007, 02:01 AM
My 05 Cooper is begining to do this more often, especially when its cold.
Never really looked into it, because as you say, it works fine after, so can't tell you what causes it!

Gorbash12346
4th March 2007, 09:04 AM
this indicates that the battery is weak and requires a recharge or replace if you do short journeys without giving the car enough time for the alternator to fully recharge the battery this will cause this so i'd look at taking it out for a long run or charging it

duncan
4th March 2007, 09:07 AM
Ah-hah!

Yes, thats pretty much how I've been driving the car lately.
Mile to work, sit for 12 hours, mile home.

Time for a wee drive tomorrow then :)

KenL
4th March 2007, 10:57 AM
My 2002 MINI did this (central speedo only) on cold mornings. The low charged battery makes sense as batteries struggle when the temperature drops.

Martin
4th March 2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks - would make sense - other half only "nips" around town most days - time for a good Sunday run.

Mark R
4th March 2007, 06:08 PM
I'd read that the car does this to reset the gauges as there is no set minimum point for them.

KenL
4th March 2007, 07:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mark R

I'd read that the car does this to reset the gauges as there is no set minimum point for them.

Who told you that, sounds like an old "dealer's" tale :p

Mark R
5th March 2007, 05:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

quote:Originally posted by Mark R

Who told you that, sounds like an old "dealer's" tale :p

It's in one of the FAQs on MINI2

http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_faults_fixes#faq_faq_shaking_needl e

The Dogfather
5th March 2007, 09:52 PM
Mine did this as well, I checked the battery as couple of time and it was fully charged everytime.

Its just character

Burple
5th March 2007, 11:04 PM
quote:[i]

Its just character

Heh.. that's like Microsh@ft saying "It's not a bug, it's a 'feature'"
:clown::D:D:D

Gorbash12346
6th March 2007, 04:59 AM
i'm 99% sure it is that the battery is weak

ajamesj
6th March 2007, 05:04 AM
Mine does this sometimes and my battery is tip top I just put it down too the gauges resetting.

KenL
6th March 2007, 06:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by ajamesj

Mine does this sometimes and my battery is tip top I just put it down too the gauges resetting.

No chance :D

Like I said, the only time mine did it was when starting the car on cold mornings. Measuring a battery's voltage is not a real test of how well the it is charged. On starting the car, a large current is drawn which will pull the voltage down, this "could" lead to unusual behaviour from an active gauge.

Regards, KenL M.Sc in Electronic Engineering :p

3GGG
6th March 2007, 10:56 PM
Mine does this as well sometimes, certainly does seem to be related to how long car has been standing.

It is just the Mini shivering on a cold morning.