PDA

View Full Version : Induction kit or panel filter?..hmmm...

vintageb3
1st March 2007, 03:34 AM
OK MINI peoples...

I'm not going to look into this until my warrenty expires later this year...but what is better? : a) an induction kit. b) a panel filter.

A friend of mine had a Coopers S with the Hartge upgrade. Every car he has had in the past that could be chipped...has been chipped...or the ECU re-maped etc. He is big into his cars. He tells me that a panel filter is as good as an induction kit...and only costs a fraction of the price. An induction kit just sounds different.

What is everyone's take on this here on NMS?

What panel filter is thought to be the best?

What induction kit is prefered?

Thanks

mark

james f
1st March 2007, 03:38 AM
Alta induction form lohen is defo the way forward chipping an S is a waste of 300 quid unless you have a lot of mods and you need to adjust the fuel knock settings also manifold is a good thing as the stock exhaust is good but the manifold is the main draw back to power

KenL
1st March 2007, 06:49 AM
I've never had one, nor have I ever seen definitive proof that they do anything other than make your car sound like a boy racer :p

I do remember reading a couple of years ago (MINI2) where several people took their cars for a rolling road test. There were a few cars with different induction kits etc,; not one put out more bhp than stock cars. Some were actually worse than standard cars.

Aberdeen Al
1st March 2007, 07:23 AM
I fitted the GTT CAI before I did any other mods and the car defo breathed better than stock.

I would recommend the GTT item.

illegalhunter
1st March 2007, 08:39 AM
induction kit Mark id wait till the warranty runs out go for the 210bhp from lohen

bigcoyote
1st March 2007, 08:49 AM
You have to be very careful when looking at intakes - alot of them will breathe better but suck in the hot air from the engine bay. You need a intake that can seal out the hot air and only take in air from the "cool" area of the cowl or grille. The best here in the USA are the Dinan Cowl Induction Intake ( what I use ) or the JCW intake -- they have the plastic box and further help insulate the intake air from the hot engine bay air.
Most other brands use very thin metal housings and can transfer more heat to the intake charge.

I live in Arizona with 120+F summer temps - so heat is a huge issue here:p

As far as the panel filters go - they will increase flow over paper filters but you still have the restrictive intake to deal with. And you don't get that supercharger whine!!!!

The "basic" mods here in the U.S. are Cold Air Intake, 15% supercharger pully, and a Cat. Back exhaust. I also have a Unichip ( piggyback set up ) -- On our last Dyno Day - my 04 MCS turned 172 Wheel Horse Power on a Mustang Dyno -- The 2 stock JCW cars turned 168 WHP , and a stock MCS turned 144 WHP -- same day, same dyno.

Good luck.
:cool:

http://www.dinancars.com/Mini.asp?Series=0&Chassis=40&Model=91#180

Gismo
1st March 2007, 06:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by vintageb3
I'm not going to look into this until my warrenty expires later this year...but what is better? : a) an induction kit. b) a panel filter"Better", depends what you are looking for, more power, more noise, better breathing???

james f
1st March 2007, 09:15 PM
the GTT and the Alta kits have booth been proven at at least 8 bhp over stock

vintageb3
2nd March 2007, 05:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

quote:Originally posted by vintageb3
I'm not going to look into this until my warrenty expires later this year...but what is better? : a) an induction kit. b) a panel filter"Better", depends what you are looking for, more power, more noise, better breathing???

Ok Sorry Mr BS :D

I'm looking for power I suppose.

I laughed at this corsa i heard tonight...it went "SHOOP" everytime the guy changed gear. Surprised the noise didn't blow his baseball cap off (obviously turned round the wrong way) A tad over the top...

I'm drawn to the Alta..and to Lohen...don't know why.

hmmm...decisions

mark

AeroJonny
2nd March 2007, 09:40 PM
sounds like a fake dump valve to me!!!

vintageb3
3rd March 2007, 05:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny

sounds like a fake dump valve to me!!!

AH!...That's exactly what it woud have been!

Well...at least this means the Corsa was half way to the dump then

mark

Gorbash12346
4th March 2007, 09:08 AM
then u find out it's actually got an let engine in it... one day you'll learn the hard way not to always assume corsa's and nova's are all slow

Neil and Lorna
4th March 2007, 08:06 PM
Mark

I've got the GTT Tuning filter for the JCW 210.:D

Very pleased with the results, smoother engine, slight increase in growl and burble but not much.:cool:

Simple swap in and out replacement. :):)

Take a look on their website I'm sure they will have one for a standard S.:D

Neil.