PDA

View Full Version : PC Scanner

Scottie
28th February 2007, 07:07 AM
I'm looking to buy a scanner. Do not know the first thing about them.

Looking for one that I can scan the document (or whatever) and import it onto my computer be able to edit the document and then print it out.

What do I need.??

sedgie
28th February 2007, 07:09 AM
I hae wan lyin aroond....i will need tae check it!.....i'm sure it works fine....u can hae it

Craig
28th February 2007, 07:17 AM
there are not that many on the market these days as a lot of them are now in-built to printers (all in ones, Printer/Copier/Scanner). Most scanners I know of are for document management in businesses and cost thousands..:D

they are not normally a lot of money for personal use...

here is an example on eBuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=25660940335&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=51449)

:approve::approve:

Scottie
28th February 2007, 07:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude

there are not that many on the market these days as a lot of them are now in-built to printers (all in ones, Printer/Copier/Scanner). Most scanners I know of are for document management in businesses and cost thousands..:D

they are not normally a lot of money for personal use...

here is an example on eBuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=25660940335&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3NwZWNpZmljYXRpb25z&product_uid=51449)

:approve::approve:

printer scanner not bothered just want to be able to import the document to be able to amend it.

the one at our work imports it in a pdf file and we can not alter anything.??

Craig
28th February 2007, 07:31 AM
this is not my strong subject.. depends if you want to edit photos or text.

text would have to be OCR software.

photos could be any photo editor software...

that's about all I know, some comes bundled with the scanners, but the OCR stuff is normally quite expensive..;)

sedgie
28th February 2007, 07:33 AM
well i did offer.....free scanner!

Scottie
28th February 2007, 08:03 AM

this is not my strong subject.. depends if you want to edit photos or text.

text would have to be OCR software.

photos could be any photo editor software...

that's about all I know, some comes bundled with the scanners, but the OCR stuff is normally quite expensive..;)

it would be text.?

Burple
28th February 2007, 08:12 AM
The Parents just bought a Canon (an L70 or summat?) one from some office superstore, it was about £70.

It's pretty good and comes with OCR software too. I think most of them do these days..

This particular one has only 4 buttons on the frnt to scan things in in different ways, Pics, Email, text or pdf (I think)

You're looking at about £70- £100 for a fairly decent one. I think something like Canon have a good a name as any for this sort of thing.. :D

Gismo
28th February 2007, 06:10 PM
Whatever you do, do NOT buy an HP all in one, many many many issues with software drivers, updating the BIOS etc
If you want to edit PDF files you will have to buy Acrobat Writer (Distiller)
As everyone else says, you need OCR software to edit text documents, mostly comes bundled with your sacnner :)

Scottie
28th February 2007, 06:23 PM
Cheers guys will be looking to get one this weekend. will go with cannon hopefully PC world will have what I am looking for.

Gismo
28th February 2007, 06:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
Cheers guys will be looking to get one this weekend. will go with cannon hopefully PC world will have what I am looking forJust to change your mind ever so slightly, the Epson all in one's are very good and the DX6000 in paarticular.
In any event, make sure the one you choose has a memory card reader ;)

euan
28th February 2007, 09:20 PM
I got the Epson RX620 - cracking all in one. Can't remember if it came with OCR though - will check when I get home on Friday. If not,like BS said, just get Acrobat Distiller.

The Dogfather
28th February 2007, 09:48 PM
My HP thingy is OK, but then again it's plugged into my iMac

GAJ
28th February 2007, 10:11 PM
Some mis-information here. What's needed is a scanner with OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software. As has been said, most scanners will bundle a limited OCR program. This will create a text file from the scanned document which will be editable in any text editing package, like Word etc. The accuracy of this file is pretty hit and miss though. It depends on the typeface used in the original document, font size etc.

Distiller DOES NOT allow you to edit PDF's. Distiller will create a PDF from a text document. If you want to edit a PDF, the full version of Acrobat (as opposed to the free Acrobat Reader) offers this functionality. However based on what you say you want to do (scan and edit text documents) the whole PDF issue is irrelevant.:)

X30YES
28th February 2007, 10:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Whatever you do, do NOT buy an HP all in one, many many many issues with software drivers, updating the BIOS etc
If you want to edit PDF files you will have to buy Acrobat Writer (Distiller)
As everyone else says, you need OCR software to edit text documents, mostly comes bundled with your sacnner :)
Oh Sh*^£ :(..surely not , dont tell me , ffs !!:I

The Dogfather
28th February 2007, 10:26 PM
Go buy a Mac, Angus

Gismo
1st March 2007, 12:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
Distiller DOES NOT allow you to edit PDF's. Distiller will create a PDF from a text documentTotally correct :p i have an ancient legal version of Acrobat Writer that has Distiller bundled in with it :I

Scottie
3rd March 2007, 06:19 AM
looking to buy one this weekend.

Craig how easy are these to install to a Laptop remembering I'm no computer geek.

Craig
3rd March 2007, 06:21 AM
VERY easy, but if you want me to install it, I will. Just give me a ring on Sunday (out most of Sat for niece's birthday)

:approve::approve::approve:

Scottie
3rd March 2007, 06:52 AM

VERY easy, but if you want me to install it, I will. Just give me a ring on Sunday (out most of Sat for niece's birthday)

:approve::approve::approve:

hoped you'd say that.;) will be in touch.