PDA

View Full Version : Window tint, please help

ianking
26th February 2007, 08:51 PM
Looking to get the windows done on the new car when it arrives.
I have checked out yell.com and the 2 places nearest to me are

Tinthaus (edinburgh branch)
or
Magma at Bathgate

Any experience of these guys.

I want just a light/medium smoke on the rear 3 windows. The chap at tinthaus has quoted £190 for this and can do it wednesday at Eastern's PDI centre at Broxburn in time for me getting the car. He said that he can put a special LEGAL film on the front for an extra £50. Something called LAF which he said will not get me on the wrong side of the law and will look very nice with the colour of car I am getting.

The chap at Magma on the phone has quoted £110 to do the rear 3 and he said anything on the front is illegal. He can do the car next week at Bathgate. My mate used Magma and said they were fine.
The chap from Tinthaus seemed very professional and seems to know his stuff but is that not a bit expensive.

Any advice will be gratefully received. :)

MartinSullivan
26th February 2007, 08:59 PM
Have used Tinthaus in Aberdeen and I think some people (Angus??) have used the glasgow one. Their prices were high up here, but managed to talk them down a bit. Angus found that one of the girls at the Glasgow branch had a mini and managed to get a discount too. I was pleased with the service at Tinthaus and when one of the films started to peel they replaced it free of charge.

Wul
26th February 2007, 09:35 PM
Did tinthaus not offer a discount if we mentioned we were from NMS before - they came along to the go-karts run a few years back - worth a shot.

illegalhunter
26th February 2007, 09:49 PM
Getting mine done for £100 in South Street Glasgow @ the weekend

ianking
26th February 2007, 09:51 PM
Sounds like tint haus might be a bit expensive then.

X30YES
26th February 2007, 11:07 PM
Tinthaus were doing a discount for NMS members at one time (Edin)...ask for Gill, I also hear that the guy who does the tints for DP's is also very good .

Julz
26th February 2007, 11:36 PM
I'd recommend Carlo at Mini Designs in Stirling, just had the Migraine tinted a couple of weeks ago for a good price and it looks better than amazing!!:cool: Had the Evo done there last year too!;):D

Burple
26th February 2007, 11:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I'd recommend Carlo at Mini Designs in Stirling, just had the Migraine tinted a couple of weeks ago for a good price and it looks better than amazing!!:cool: Had the Evo done there last year too!;):D

so how is the Migraine?
Saw a lovely dark blue Evo 9 in KFC yesterday... ;):p:p:D:D

ianking
26th February 2007, 11:59 PM
Im no really wanting to go up to Stirling though, just dont have the time.
What was his price like though in comparison to what I have been quoted.

Julz
27th February 2007, 12:25 AM
A bit less than you paid but I <ahem> got all five done:eek::D

Julz
27th February 2007, 12:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
so how is the Migraine?
Saw a lovely dark blue Evo 9 in KFC yesterday... ;):p:p:D:D

It's absolutely fab, I love it!!:D:D:D:D Don't mention evo's, still a sore point for me, still miss Marvin terribly!!:(:( But the migraine does help the recovery of that sad loss, alot!!:p:D Probably not the best place to mention that it ranks second out of all the cars I've owned!!:D:D:D:D:D

Scottie
27th February 2007, 01:20 AM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

why you no spec it with tinted wondows8):question:

Craig
27th February 2007, 01:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

why you no spec it with tinted wondows8):question:

just what I was thinking fi... it's only £150 from the manufacturer from memory..:D

illegalhunter
27th February 2007, 04:33 AM
anybody got carlos number plz

Craig
27th February 2007, 06:00 AM
sent you his number via email...:approve:

AndyP & Lenore
27th February 2007, 06:28 AM
Ian, I see no-one has commented on the issue of having the front done. Don't really want to start a flame war again - the last time was not pleasant. But the truth is, the standard colour in the front windows appears to be just on the legal limit. Anything else you put on will render the car illegal. I know folk will be on here in a shot telling me I'm talking porkies and even one person will no doubt come on and say "well I don't care, I think my MINI is lovely, legal or not". But that won't help them in court when the person is in the dock for causing the death of a child on a bike they didn't see coming because of the tints.:eek::eek:

Andy.;)

X30YES
27th February 2007, 08:21 AM
Its all to do with %ages AP ,as you know!!. AFTER ALL YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCES ETC ;):p

AndyP & Lenore
27th February 2007, 08:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Its all to do with %ages AP ,as you know!!. AFTER ALL YOU PAYS YOUR MONEY YOU TAKE YOUR CHANCES ETC ;):p

Absolutley right AB!! and my point to Ian is don't waste your money and don't take the chance. It's just not worth it. All IMHO.;)

A:D

Julz
27th February 2007, 05:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

But that won't help them in court when the person is in the dock for causing the death of a child on a bike they didn't see coming because of the tints.:eek::eek:

Andy.;)

I can see your arguement here, but I can't see how tints affect your vision, mine are dark and I can see oot nae bother! Does that mean sunglasses should be banned too:cool:?? The gen I got from the local traffic bobbies at one of my recent traffic co-ord meetings (part of work!) was that the only reason they don't like the front windows done is they can't see which ned is driving:p:)! I know they're illegal and I take my chances:eek:, just like when the speedo on my car reads 67mph, which in turn could also result in a kiddie getting knocked off their bike:disapprove:!! :sleepy: I don't speed in built up areas and I don't blether on the phone even with a stupid ear piece while driving, that's good enough for me!!;):D

ianking
27th February 2007, 05:56 PM
I never ordered the factory tints at the time of ordering as I didnt realise that I fancied them.
According to the boy at tinthaus the stuff they put on the front is so slight that it isnt illegal. Check out their web site as it explains about it on there.
I kept saying to their man that I did not want to be illegal and that I did not want any bother from the bobbies. He said this is fine.
I have organised tinthaus to do the work at Eastern before I pick the car up.

X30YES
27th February 2007, 07:04 PM
You'll get a quality job at Tinthaus (as you would at others mentioned ),when I had my HB S done I was over at Ratho watching them doing the windows ...well worth the visit if you have the time and wanted to see how its all done

ianking
27th February 2007, 07:11 PM
I have been recomended tinthaus by several people now Angus so it sounds like they will do a good job. Their sales man certainly talked the talk on the phone anyway.
Unfortunately I wont get the time to go to their workshop, thats why I have organised for their fitter to go to Easterns PDI centre at Broxburn to do it. I think they are doing several cars out there tomorrow.

AndyP & Lenore
27th February 2007, 07:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

I can see your arguement here, but I can't see how tints affect your vision...

Julz, it's difficult to reply with anything other than the following, and I'm not being disrespectful in any way. The simple fact is that ANY tint to ANY window will reduce your vision. Period. Full Stop. Ultimately you are reducing the amount of light passing through the glass, therefore it MUST be affecting your vision. Don't get me wrong, I have factory "darkened rear glass" on our MINI and the X5, and we love them (although they are legal) but we have to be very careful before we pull out from the side of the road. It definitely reduces the vision of the road behind. I'd hate to think what it would be like on the front two windows.:eek::eek:

Really don't want this to turn into another Tint-flaming war, especially with you Julz, so I'm gonna shut up now. I've passed my advice on to Ian, that's all I really wanted to do.

A.:D

Julz
27th February 2007, 07:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
Really don't want this to turn into another Tint-flaming war, especially with you Julz, so I'm gonna shut up now. I've passed my advice on to Ian, that's all I really wanted to do.

Oh I totally agree, don't get me wrong! I have the same film on the migraine as I had on the evo and obviously smaller car, darker effect. I personally don't find they hamper my vision at all, but the doors are huge and allow quite a large amount of vision all round, ie not pillars in the way:clown:. If I felt like it impaired my vision I would remove them regardless of cosmetic value:approve:! I still use my arguement of are sunglasses to be banned if anyone makes a comment though!!;):D (saying that, tints and oakleys still don't affect my vision badly either, maybe it's cause I'm short I make better use of the wider part of the windows low down!!;):D)

Gordons_cooper_wrks
28th February 2007, 04:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Tinthaus were doing a discount for NMS members at one time (Edin)...ask for Gill, I also hear that the guy who does the tints for DP's is also very good .

I think the guy that dp uses is the one that tinted mine. Hamiton autotints, 01698 829111, 07754 253811. Mark does a A1 job. He has tinted my last two cars and a good few of my mates.
With regards to the front windows, mine are approx 2% over the legal limit, I have no problem seeing out of them, even at night and i have never been stoped by the police regarding them. I hang about in areas where there are a lot of Traffic Police and have never had any problems. I think as long as you can see out fine and they can still see in them, then theres no problem. I understand the safety aspects which have come up in this thread about front tints but i feel as long as they do not harm your vision there is no problem.

Hope i havent ruffeled any feathers! Cheers :cool:

sedgie
28th February 2007, 06:20 AM
I can see very well out of my "tints" n i need to get one replaced...i am going to a place in dumpdee...nxt to my hubby unit so getting cheap price!:D....and yes it is a front one!!!...but i am happy with them...i can see "kids on bike"! i do not go over the 30 limit in fact i drive @ 25mph in a 30....so less chance o me hitting a kid might not see!:D:D...i actually am the moment complaining with the community council about getting the speed limit reduced to 20mph in the village that i stay in:)...and getting 4*4 banned from around the school area!:D:D:cool:;)

Aberdeen Al
28th February 2007, 06:39 AM
Hi,

I was quoted £245 inc VAT for Tint Haus in Aberdeen.

The above price was for the 3 x rear windows plus their "legal tint" for the front two.

Is this expensive? Would I be better travelling to Dundee - Edinburgh or Glasgow to get this done cheaper?

Cheers,

Al

sedgie
28th February 2007, 06:41 AM
I have been quoted £30 for one o my front tints

ianking
28th February 2007, 05:57 PM
I am getting the 3 back and the legal film on the fron from tinthaus Edinburgh, because Eastern are organising it irs getting done for £200 all in.

Scottie
28th February 2007, 06:02 PM

legal film on the front

Ian you surprise me. I wouldn't have thought that you would have been taken in with that "legal" film story. but at the end of the day whats that worst thing the police can do to you.??? ask you to rip the film off.

ianking
28th February 2007, 06:05 PM
This is the stuff they are on about. They are giving me a guarantee so they have assured me if there was any hassle from the law then they would remove it and I would get a refund for the fronts.

http://www.tinthaus.co.uk/news/whatsnew1.aspx

Gismo
28th February 2007, 06:16 PM
I'm not fussed whatever way you go either Ian, but, it would be interesting to know, that given the mini front windows are almost bang on the limit anyway, do Tinthaus know the level of tint on your mini fronts :question:
The way i read their statement, it still filters and adds a wee tint by using the film, so, this would be ok for untinted windows to start with :p
Good luck whatever way you go :approve:

Scottie
28th February 2007, 06:27 PM

This is the stuff they are on about. They are giving me a guarantee so they have assured me if there was any hassle from the law then they would remove it and I would get a refund for the fronts.

http://www.tinthaus.co.uk/news/whatsnew1.aspx

Don't know really but I would have thought any film no matter what kind that darkens the front windows more than what they are already would fall outside of the tolerences.

At the end of the day it's your choice your doing it knowing it may attract attention from the police as long as there is no fines that the police can give you then no worries.

Craig
28th February 2007, 07:27 PM
as others have said, ANY tint on the front windows is illegal. This has been proved some months ago when this subject was brought up.

If your front windows are tinted further than what the manufacturer has tinted them and you are unlucky to be caught by the Police, you will be fined.

There is also a distinct chance of a prohibition order being placed on the vehicle (ie it cannot be driven on a public road until the offending item, eg the tints, are sorted and re-tested by the police).

as said before it is a risk, but each to their own.. ;)

ianking
28th February 2007, 07:29 PM
Perhaps I will phone the tinthaus just now and tell them not to put anything on the front. He wa son about putting some kind of security film on the front which reinforces the glass incase it should break. I have had auto glass breaking all about me before and its not that nice so I think the security film thing might be a good idea.

ianking
28th February 2007, 07:34 PM
Just called the man at tinthaus and he said its up to me but he can guarantee that his front tint is leagal. I said just to stick with B post backwards for the moment.

I am getting a dark car with an all black interior with the anthracite roof thing so the chances are that it will be pretty dark inside anyway.

Scottie
28th February 2007, 08:40 PM

Just called the man at tinthaus and he said its up to me but he can guarantee that his front tint is leagal. I said just to stick with B post backwards for the moment.

I am getting a dark car with an all black interior with the anthracite roof thing so the chances are that it will be pretty dark inside anyway.

that's more like it:cool: well done you've made the right choice at the end of the day.:D

You know it is COOL not to have tints on the front windows:cool::cool::p

AndyP & Lenore
28th February 2007, 09:21 PM
Totally agree with Fiona here Ian.:approve: You're doing the right thing;).

X30YES
28th February 2007, 09:52 PM
Live life on the edge man :p;):D