PDA

View Full Version : Old and New Cooper S ?

Keith
22nd February 2007, 09:42 PM
Just seeking a bit of advice, Currently own a 53 Cooper S. Have the new models moved on a lot? I can appreciate the size difference but is it much different to drive? Thinking of changing the S and thinking of either a newer version of same model or maybe the newcomer?
Any advice most welcome.
This is not going to get ugly is it? :eek:

vintageb3
23rd February 2007, 03:50 AM
WELL...YOU STARTED IT!!!!

:D

mark

markyc
23rd February 2007, 04:13 AM
Keith IMHO the R56 S has moved on a whole load from the previous S. The ride, gearing, quality of build and without doubt the fuel consumption amongst other things make it sooooo much better :D I've managed 51.1mph on a run down to Glasgow !!! :approve::approve::approve: I've driven the old S a couple of times, liked it a lot though the power was a bit to 'brutish' for me although the noise of the supercharger was fantastic :p:D R56 is much quieter but delivery of power is fantastic, espcially with the wee Sport button turned on :approve::approve:

As I say all IMHO :D;)

KenL
23rd February 2007, 04:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by markyc
I've managed 51.1mph on a run down to Glasgow !!! :approve::approve::approve: I've

No doubt, sat in the middle lane holding everyone else up!!!

N12 JLK
23rd February 2007, 04:22 AM
I would say the R56 is better than the old one due to the ride, build quality and the fuel consumption.

KenL
23rd February 2007, 04:45 AM
I agree with what has been said so far. Why not try and arrange a decent length test from one of our friendly dealers?

Scottie
23rd February 2007, 05:21 AM
well I think there both good the old and the new.

Markyc you sure you've not got a fault with OBC with that MPG???

I feel both cars stil have the same issue with ride and runflats.
other than the most obvious comestic changes the things I notice most to have improved
is

xenon main and dip
gear change
indicator and wiper function

radio control functions heater control functions H'mm not so sure about the user friendly angle on these

as I said re the runflats the more you own the car the more you stop to notice the improved handling and the more you notice the crap runflats.

the panel gaps issue to me is still there IMHO
from the cars I've seen since mines has been built
these will either bug you or not.

Obviously the loss of supercharger and the gains of the Turbo it's either for you or not.

On the Cooper the gears now really have to be worked very easy to be in the wrong gear and the car takes a age to get going.

Most of all the thing to consider is if you are going for the R56 when is the right time to buy one.??

I'm not sure

if I could turn the clock back then maybe I wouldn't have rushed out to get the new model. so quickly. I think if you can and are in no desperate rush then wait until the 1st production year has passed.

Craig
23rd February 2007, 06:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK

I would say the R56 is better than the old one due to the ride, build quality and the fuel consumption.

I would agree that the ride and fuel consumption are MUCH better:D:D, but in my experience the build quality is significantly down on my last car... I may have the exception to the rule, bit it is my experience..:disapprove:

james f
23rd February 2007, 06:42 AM
theresa few things that would stop me buying an R56 no supercharger, a lot harder to tune up and well i know i will get flamed for this dosent look anywhere near as good imo

KenL
23rd February 2007, 07:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by james f

theresa few things that would stop me buying an R56 no supercharger, a lot harder to tune up and well i know i will get flamed for this dosent look anywhere near as good imo

Consider yourself flamed :p

I prefer the look of the new one, I like the chunkier front end especially.

duncan
23rd February 2007, 07:03 AM

I agree with the last bit. I much prefer the facelifted R50/53s.

Its been built to a price, and it shows.
I think the fuel filler cap on the R56 is a good sum up of the "cheapness" factor.

The Interior - especially the heater controls are, err, different, and I detest the radio built into the speedo.

However, with fuel economy, and the drivability of the R56, its not all bad, i suppose.

james f
23rd February 2007, 07:08 AM
hehe lucky for me fuel econemy is not a concern since i do so little milage 4k or so in the last 7 months i think

KenL
23rd February 2007, 07:37 AM

theresa few things that would stop me buying an R56 no supercharger, a lot harder to tune up

Funny you say this and I sure you are right. But, turbo engines have always been the easiest to tune up for little outlay.
Examples like 50 or so extra BHP on a 2litre turbo charged GTI, ST etc. for about £500.

Whereas with the supercharged MINI it cost ~£4k for 40 or so bhp.

N12 JLK
23rd February 2007, 07:43 AM
can I just say , I love my R56 S, just looking at it as I write this post and it gives me massive grins, oh and its now passed the 1250 miles tonight so beware saxo // corsar drivers your mines!!!!!!!!!!

euan
23rd February 2007, 05:23 PM
I've not spent a lot of time in the new car, but from what I did the engine was cracking (the turbo S). On the downside, the interior didn't do much for me, and I prefer the look of the old cars. However, it is growing on me and if i had the same money to spend on a MINI and it was a choice between a used R50/53s and an R56, I would be tempted to get a R56.

weefossy
24th February 2007, 04:07 AM
IMO - New car is more practical for every day use and for longer drives. It's much more a BMW
Old car is better looking inside and out. Sounds and feels like a Mini should, but it's a fun car really.
What would I do without the Whine:D

Scottie
24th February 2007, 07:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by weefossy

IMO - New car is more practical for every day use and for longer drives. It's much more a BMW
Old car is better looking inside and out. Sounds and feels like a Mini should, but it's a fun car really.
What would I do without the Whine:D of the Mrs in my ear

:eek::eek::eek: Mr Weefossy how could you say such a thing.;)