PDA

View Full Version : Update re R56 Problems

Craig
21st February 2007, 02:22 AM
as some of you may know I've had a few problems with my new MINI. Kept most of it off here, but really wanted to share this info so that others are aware of the issue.

I have had a grinding noise from my gearbox changing down to 2nd gear (from 4th or 3rd) and up to now, I've never been able to re-create the problem for the dealer. :D:D

Well today the car finally played ball and the dealer heard the problem.:eek::approve: After some time checking MINI's database I got a call back to say that the problem is known by MINI and that it the flywheel and clutch that is the issue, HOWEVER, what they also say is that replacing these items DOES NOT fix the problem.

This means that they are now attempting to re-engineer the transmission to fix the problem as there appears to be an inherent problem with it as the flywheel and clutch are not faulty...:eek::(

They have put an expected date of week 12 (end of March) for a fix, but who knows if that will fix the problem...

Please check your car to see if you also have the problem and get it noted by your dealer.:disapprove:

Craig
21st February 2007, 02:26 AM
Forgot about the other 2 problems...:I

sticky heater fan control on auto air-con is being replaced soon...:approve::approve:

low down rattle at low revs is "characteristic" according to MINI. Not convinced of this and have advised MINI Customer Services that I'm not accepting this as the answer and I reserve my right to have this looked at again if the problem gets worse...(which the rattle is..:disapprove:)

at least a bit of good news with the heater control getting fixed...:D

Gismo
21st February 2007, 02:36 AM
Looks like neither of us are having much luck mate :disapprove:

Craig
21st February 2007, 02:40 AM
aye...:disapprove: at least yours was alright before tho...;)

PACMAN
21st February 2007, 02:42 AM
nae lucky :disapprove: new car shouldn't have problem nowadays

duncan
21st February 2007, 02:44 AM
Its the price you pay for getting a brand new model, i'm afraid.

Although it *should* work straight out of the box, mechanical devices have a habit of bedding in, and taking a few production runs to get right.

Consider yourself a Test Pilot for MINI ;)

KenL
21st February 2007, 02:52 AM
No such problems with mine after 500 miles.

Is this an S problem or can it be an issue on the R56 Cooper?

Craig
21st February 2007, 03:38 AM
don't know if it is only a fault with the "S"...?

depends if the gearbox, flywheel and clutch is the same...

Scottie
21st February 2007, 04:40 AM
I can't really accept Mini's position on this if this was indeed a problem in manufacture of some components of the car then how come not all are doing it.????? or is it a case that the problem as yet has not reared it's head in other owners car.??? as for the low down rattle at low revs again how can this be a "characteristic" if not all cars have this problem.

Not got these problems as yet with either of our Mini's kinda glad though that the S is going as I feel the potential is there for them to have a few problems within the 1st year of production. Don't know why I think this of the S and not the Cooper but I do.

Only problem I have is the whistle from the heater but that should be sorted with the first software upgrade which is due March.

Oh and a rattle from drivers window.

Gismo
21st February 2007, 05:35 AM
Craig, if Mini call your faults characteristics then why don't they advertise them, ask to see them in a brochure, fit for purpose and all that, time to start recording conversations and with whom etc, prepare your rejection letter

Craig
21st February 2007, 06:58 AM
I have already thought of that Alan, but really don't want to go through the hassle due to all the graphics I got fitted and changing to non run-flats, changing sidelights and indicators etc etc...

I would much rather they fixed the problems...:disapprove:

we shall wait and see what develops..:D

AndyP & Lenore
21st February 2007, 08:54 AM
<Cough_should've_ordered_an_auto_cough>;)

A.:D

Scottie
21st February 2007, 07:58 PM
have any of you read this thread (http://www.mini2.com/forum/2nd-gen-faults-fixes/136105-mini-cooper-s-engine-noise-when-cold.html) on mini2.

for me it pretty much says it all about the R56 engine I've went on and on about the engine sound which at the moment is nothing like that guys.

I actually wish I had held of untill he diesel was available but you never know ;)

ianking
21st February 2007, 08:40 PM
My word, that boy on mini2's car sounds like a cross between my lawnmower and a tractor.

N12 JLK
22nd February 2007, 01:28 AM
Can say that mine doesnt sound like that , thats a tractor.

markyc
22nd February 2007, 04:43 AM
Oh that doesn't sound healthy at all does it :disapprove::disapprove::disapprove: Touch wood I've never had that noise (and hope I never do!!!):dead: Gearbox in my car is much better than Craigs, much smoother through the gears with no 'notchy bits' :) I've heard the 'low down grumbly noise' a couple of times but must admit that it doesn't bother me :I Just hope the big fella get his car fixed to his satisfaction and I suppose Craig could be seen as the benchmark that all NMS owners of the R56 can work off if they start to experience similar trouble ;)

james f
22nd February 2007, 05:09 AM
is it a new gear box on the R56 ? or a revised verison of the old one

markyc
23rd February 2007, 04:22 AM
James as far as I know it's a new one all together ;)

KenL
23rd February 2007, 08:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by markyc

James as far as I know it's a new one all together ;)

Oh, I had thought it was a modified version of the Getrag fitted to the old S?

Craig
30th March 2007, 01:46 AM
Well, you are not going to believe it, but I have my car back :eek::eek::eek: :approve::approve::approve::approve::approve:

I have missed the power SOOOOOOO much and it's a joy to drive again. I did get it back yesterday, but that was a false start as there was a problem with the engine mount :question: causing a shudder and rattle but that got sorted this morning when I had to take it back in. :(

Still got 4 problems outstanding (2 Due to parts awaited, 1 for a software upgrade awaited and 1 they can't work out what's causing it).

after owning the car for 9 weeks and over 5 weeks of that in the garage, I think (or should that be hope) I'm over the worst of it. I think MINI should be giving out medals for patience to all R56 owners due to the ridiculous situation they have with the parts supply (or lack of it :eek::evil:)

Hopefully I'll have the car with me til after the Oxford trip and then it will get the other problems sorted.

anyway, I'm away to burn up some V-Power (just like the garage, my Trip computer showed an average of 15.6mpg when I picked it up :eek:;))

vintageb3
30th March 2007, 02:08 AM
That's great news Craig...funny about the MPG though???? Seems a bit fishy to me???

Anyway...would like to thank a certain MINI Dealership for the 5 week demo of a blue Cooper S...decided against the purchase in the end as I've found four problems with the car. Gave me a chance to roast the hell out of a new Cooper S though!

mark:clown:

Craig
30th March 2007, 02:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by vintageb3

That's great news Craig...funny about the MPG though???? Seems a bit fishy to me???

Anyway...would like to thank a certain MINI Dealership for the 5 week demo of a blue Cooper S...decided against the purchase in the end as I've found four problems with the car. Gave me a chance to roast the hell out of a new Cooper S though!

mark:clown:

I think the MPG was all the times it was sitting ticking over in the garage... they only managed 30 miles in a month.. :D

Neil and Lorna
30th March 2007, 04:04 AM
Good to hear you have the car back :D:D

Happy motoring :D:)

Neil and Lorna.:D

sedgie
30th March 2007, 04:07 AM
Good to hear you have your car back!:D

Scottie
30th March 2007, 04:23 AM
good that you have got your car back and hopefully your faith in the motor guess time will tell. it will take a week or two to be able to get over the listening for anything wrong mod.

KenL
30th March 2007, 04:39 AM
Good news and well done for your patience.

I think a wee good will gesture from the dealer is in order!

AndyP & Lenore
30th March 2007, 04:51 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Good news and well done for your patience.

I think a wee good will gesture from the dealer is in order!

And I tend to think a rather large goodwill gesture from MINI is in order.

Craig
30th March 2007, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the comments, just been out for a wee run and man oh man, does it shift! :approve::approve: (compared to a one convertible, most things will... ;))

as for "goodwill" gestures, I am still in negotiation with MINI about this and they will also not entertain anything til all the problems are fixed, so it could be an extra Xmas present at this rate... ;):D

minimad t
30th March 2007, 08:55 AM
good luck craig see you on the oxford run:)

Gismo
30th March 2007, 11:58 AM
Whew, thank goodness that's nearly all over :p
Why is it that we expect goodwill gestures when something doesn't work ;)

illegalhunter
30th March 2007, 05:20 PM
Good to hear you go it back Craig.Now its all like a new car time to enjoy the car.

Burple
30th March 2007, 06:24 PM
Good stuff Craig!

Hope it was all worth the wait! ;);)
Mind you.. you shouldn't have *HAD* to wait!:disapprove:

Get it thrashed! ;):D

Duncan Stewart
30th March 2007, 06:35 PM
Great news Craig :D Glad you are enjoying your Mini again :approve:

zimbo
30th March 2007, 11:31 PM
Glad to hear that you've got your baby back Craig. :D

N12 JLK
31st March 2007, 04:04 AM
Superb news Craig, come round the morra and shows what your car looks like again and I may lat you see ma new sky HD thats being put in in the morning;)

sedgie
31st March 2007, 04:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK

Superb news Craig, come round the morra and shows what your car looks like again and I may lat you see ma new sky HD thats being put in in the morning;)

och yer being a wee bugger!:p

Craig
31st March 2007, 08:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by N12 JLK

will be doing work in the garden all weekend, so the car is getting neglected at the moment.. :eek::D