PDA

View Full Version : xenon light fault

Gaz B
19th February 2007, 10:52 PM
Hi folks,
I have got a wee intermittent problem with my xenon lights. sometimes when i switch them on,only the passenger side comes on,then maybe 10 mins or an hour later the drivers side will come on, an dits driving me mad!
Does anybody know what the problem is or could be?
Is it a common fault?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers G.

Moonshine
19th February 2007, 11:09 PM
might be bulb or ballast related.
swp the bulbs over. if the problem changes sides, it is more likely to be a bulb issue - if it remains on the same side - lightly to be a control unit or ballast issue.
if it is in warranty, go to the dealers to get it checked out.
g

AeroJonny
19th February 2007, 11:11 PM
I'm getting that in my 02 Coop, it's my driver's side that comes on tho. I normally find that switching them on and off a few times does the trick. I've had a quick look at the wiring and cant find any worn sections or broken contacts, so I think I'm probably in the same boat.

Gaz B
20th February 2007, 01:50 AM
Cheers chaps,might try changing the lamps over,but being the eternal pessimist that i am i think it is deeper!
Took a 2 year warranty out when i bought the car,so think i will just run it up to the garage.
Although when i run it up the last time they happened to start working again!!!
Sods bloody law.:(

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2007, 01:58 AM
This may sound obvious but if you do change the bulb over, do not touch the glass of the bulb. Oils from your skin will literally eat the glass and you'll end up with premature failure.

A.:D

Gaz B
20th February 2007, 02:18 AM
Yeah,thanks.
I'm a spark to trade,but a bit of a virgin when it comes to xenons.
:I

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2007, 02:22 AM
Gary, I run a cinema and we use Xenon's in the projectors. Albeit a fair bit bigger than the car ones. Biggest we have is a 2.5Kw. Which is a bit of a beast. The implode risk during changing is scary. I'm sure car Xenon's are a little less threatening. :I:D

Gaz B
20th February 2007, 02:26 AM
2.5kw is a bit of a beast mate, I think i would be treating it whith mucho repect as well.
I've had toooooo many shocks over the years....:clown:

Aberdeen Al
20th February 2007, 04:57 AM
I also had this problem about 5 x months ago - I traced the problem to my switch on the stalk. Cleaned it up and don't have the problem anymore.

Gorbash12346
20th February 2007, 05:32 AM
if it's the one side then do as they said change the bulbs over 1st to see if it swaps sides it may be the bulb on it's way out (not cheap) if it doesn't then most likely it is the ballast unit mounted under the light which i'm pretty sure ain't cheap either but i don't think it's as much as the bulb but check the wiring and terminals are clean and uncorroded too just take your time and make absolutely sure the ignition and lights are off when changing the bulbs it's not something i ever want to experience lol

good luck

Moonshine
20th February 2007, 05:32 PM
I have a spare OEM bulb for sale if required...for the 1st Gneration, pre facelift (non-projecor style) xenon lamps (my car was an 03, 53 plate MINI) £25 - a bit cheaper than the £75 ish for a new one.

When one of my bulbs blew, i changed the pair for a 6000K set, leaving me with a spare OEM bulb

Gerry

Gaz B
20th February 2007, 09:34 PM
Jeeeeezzzzzeeeee! £75 for a new lamp!!!
Might just take you up on that Gerry,if you still have it?
Will it fit my '52 's'?

Moonshine
20th February 2007, 09:47 PM
aye I still have it if you need it and it will fit the 52 plate S - my car was a 52 plate , not a 53 plate as i said above - as long as you don't have the "flying saucer" style projector light it will be OK.

I'd try and check the bulb is faulty first by swapping it over - if you think it is and you still want the bulb, let me know and 1'll get the bulb to you some how.

prices for bulbs here for information - they look like between £50 & £60 each new exc. p&P of about £5. I don't know what the dealer would charge. http://www.hids4u.co.uk/products.asp?cat=8

Gerry

Gaz B
20th February 2007, 09:58 PM
Cheers buddy,will check it and let you know.
I had no idea they were so expensive!

KenL
21st February 2007, 02:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

This may sound obvious but if you do change the bulb over, do not touch the glass of the bulb. Oils from your skin will literally eat the glass and you'll end up with premature failure.

I thought the issue was that a "finger grease" spot created a hot spot on the glass which could cause it to break.

There aren't many things that can eat glass you know :p

duncan
21st February 2007, 03:00 AM
Yep, with you on that Ken.

Cleaning it with alcohol was what I was told got rid of the grease in the even you did touch it.

Gaz B
21st February 2007, 06:08 AM
Will remember to keep my 'finger grease' in check lads!;)

X30YES
21st February 2007, 06:36 AM
Xenon is a gas as you might know .,,,, does it escape or evaporate ?...as Andy said earlier try swapping the lamps over ........bulbs grow in the ground (as you should well know being a "sparky") :P

Gaz B
21st February 2007, 06:46 PM
Ha!Yeah, will try swapping 'em over keeping all oils and grease in check and if that does'nt work i'll plant 'em and let you know what happens in a few months:D:D