PDA

View Full Version : Rattle from dashboard

T6 KFR
19th February 2007, 12:30 AM
My mini has decided to pi#s me off every time I drive her.

Slight rattle from the centre of the dash, near the airvent..anyone had this to help me find the source?

ajamesj
19th February 2007, 05:47 AM
Yeh mine does this too help needed anyone

AndyP & Lenore
19th February 2007, 05:50 AM
We've had a number of rattles/squeaks and strange noises from our dash area.:(

Believe it or not, the noise you describe may well be coming from your rear view mirror. Its just because of the angles of the front of the inside of the car where the windscreen meets the dash, that makes it sound like it's coming from your dash. A quick test to see: as your driving along with another person in the car, when the rattling starts get them to lightly hold the rear view mirror, to see if the rattling stops.:D

If it doesn't stop, it could be the vertical downpipes next to the drivers left knee. If you leave your leg resting on this it sometimes starts a squeaking/rattling noise. Very irritating, but is usually stopped by simply pulling the downpipe to the right a little. Works for us anyway.;)

If it is the mirror, the only way the dealer could stop it was to replace the mirror. TWICE. The first replacement had the same fault.:eek:

We're looking forward to the R56 - better built dash = less rattles.;)

Hope that helps.:approve:

A.:D

T6 KFR
19th February 2007, 09:43 PM
thanks for the tips,

Its definately not the rear view mirror. I have held the dash where the noise was coming from and it stopped (bang on centre of the wee plug that sits on the dash infront of the air vents.

Ive never had any rattles yet - hence why this wee one is really annoying

Crombers
20th February 2007, 04:22 AM
Mine rattles & stuff but it's a MINI so it's a part of the charm :approve:

ajamesj
20th February 2007, 05:50 AM
Yeh mine stops aswell when u push ur finger down on the wee plug I tried glue on the plug but it still does it. When the car is warm the noise does eventually go away ?????????????

T6 KFR
20th February 2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah it does go away I think when it gets warmer, unless i get used to the rattle :disapprove:

i was going to glue that plug too, maybe not worth it then

S7JGW
20th February 2007, 08:09 PM
Ive started to et a similar rattle from centre of dash. Also mine goes away when heats up a bit. Roll on summer.:D:):cool:
Jim

sharpy
12th March 2007, 05:50 AM
I have an R56 and can hear a clicking coming out of the top of the dash heating vent, when the heating gets put on (the sound of cheap plastic expanding I suspect). The same area has also started rattling when it feel like it, regardless of whether the fan heater is on. Technical term is I think "Crap Build Quality"

And the clutch pedal now has the most annoying creaking noise (yes WD40 would sort it but it's a fiffing new car)

And the low end power is still crap, and it still hunts to find idle.

Other than that, a faultless first 900 miles............and to think I could have bought a poorly built car for half the price.............pheww, lucky escape there then

The Dogfather
12th March 2007, 06:02 AM
Every car I've owned has had rattles but the small hard suspensioned ones are the worse, both the A2 and the Smart have buzzes from time to time.

KenL
12th March 2007, 04:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharpy

I have an R56 and can hear a clicking coming out of the top of the dash heating vent, when the heating gets put on (the sound of cheap plastic expanding I suspect). The same area has also started rattling when it feel like it, regardless of whether the fan heater is on. Technical term is I think "Crap Build Quality"

And the clutch pedal now has the most annoying creaking noise (yes WD40 would sort it but it's a fiffing new car)

And the low end power is still crap, and it still hunts to find idle.

Other than that, a faultless first 900 miles............and to think I could have bought a poorly built car for half the price.............pheww, lucky escape there then

On the squeaky clutch, someone on MINI2 reported that they can quickly replace a bush or something to cure this.

sharpy
13th March 2007, 04:47 AM
The squeak sounds mores like a faulty spring on the pedal, but I can't be arsed to crawl about the footwell to find out more (I'm one of these old fashioned types that naively assumes that when you buy a new car, it will work properly and without annoying faults for at least a month.......crazy huh!)

Craig
13th March 2007, 05:54 AM

The squeak sounds mores like a faulty spring on the pedal, but I can't be arsed to crawl about the footwell to find out more (I'm one of these old fashioned types that naively assumes that when you buy a new car, it will work properly and without annoying faults for at least a month.......crazy huh!)

I'm saying nothin' ;)

AndyP & Lenore
13th March 2007, 05:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Craig & Jude

I'm saying nothin' ;)

PMSL.:D

PACMAN
13th March 2007, 06:01 AM
:D:D:D PMSL