PDA

View Full Version : Hatch release problem

3GGG
15th February 2007, 09:26 PM
Went away for a couple of days to Morar in our MINI Cooper (02 model).

Arrived at hotel in pouring rain and as I stopped the car and the doors automatically unlocked, I heard double clickity click from the hatch lock at the rear.

Went round to open the hatch and it was on the emergency catch. Pressing the release switch on the tailgate would not open the hatch. :mad:

Tried locking/unlocking with the key fob, no joy. I firmly shut the hatch and tried again - no joy :disapprove:

Thought I might be able to get my hands down the back of the rear seat to release the seat and allow access, but no.

Ripped up rear seat cushion, no cable release there. Now totally flummoxed.:dead:

Phoned RAC - "Sorry can't help, as car is driveable"

Asked hotel for metal coat hanger to try and hook rear seat catch, but they had just flung out all their old coat hangers and replaced with modern wooden ones.:dead:

Had another go trying to get my hand down back of seat and suddenly hatch sprung open!

Quickly folded seat down. Removed luggage and tried lock again - locked but still would not open. (I also checked the fuses earlier, pictograms difficult to understand, but I could not see any blown.)

To add to all the confusion, the door locking system gets confused and shuts down if you keep on pressing the keyfob - presumably a security measure.

Next morning, it all worked fine.

Anyone had similar problems? - I don't like faults that just clear like that as they generally come back to bite you.

I know later models have an emergency cable release - might try and get one of those fitted.

bpirie1000
15th February 2007, 09:47 PM
I had that couple weeks back No idea what it was But Not happend since. I would like to get to the bottom of the fault though But hey One of those Herbie things I suppose.

Not happend since.

3GGG
16th February 2007, 04:14 AM
I believe later models have a cable release under the back seat which would be useful if it happens. (Essential if you have an S as the battery is in the boot and if it is flat you could not get the boot open!)

GAJ
16th February 2007, 04:58 AM
Mine is a Nov 2002 build and I have the cable release. Never needed it yet, touch wood!

james f
16th February 2007, 05:24 AM
ive got into the boot without the cable just invoves breaking the parcel shelf a bit ;)

3GGG
16th February 2007, 06:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Mine is a Nov 2002 build and I have the cable release. Never needed it yet, touch wood!

Mine is Aug 2002 GAJ

3GGG
16th February 2007, 06:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by james f

ive got into the boot without the cable just invoves breaking the parcel shelf a bit ;)

Yeah, I was thinking about that as I needed to get my gear out of the boot. :(

james f
16th February 2007, 09:05 AM
you can do it without breaking if your careful and get your arm down to the seat realse mech on the back

3GGG
16th February 2007, 06:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by james f

you can do it without breaking if your careful and get your arm down to the seat realse mech on the back

Tried and couldn't get my hand behind unfortunately:(

Gorbash12346
18th February 2007, 12:43 AM
To add to all the confusion, the door locking system gets confused and shuts down if you keep on pressing the keyfob - presumably a security measure.

no if you pressing unlock and lock constantly it is the locks being saved from burning out as they get hot very quickly the same for the bmw's but theirs seems to last a good 20 clicks longer